Senior Human Resources Associate,(GS7), Fixed Term, Kathmandu, Nepal #124117(Internal and External)
Job no: 564890
Position type: Fixed Term Appointment
Department/Office: Kathmandu, Nepal
Categories: Human Resources
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a future
How can you make a difference?
Purpose of the job:
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Human Resources Specialist, P3, the Senior Human Resources Associate provides administrative, procedural, and operational support and assistance to the efficient implementation of a broad range of Human Resources functions which includes business partnering for all categories of staff in the Nepal Country Office ensuring accurate and timely delivery that is in compliance with UNICEF HR rules and regulations. The incumbent will, in addition, provide some support in some HR tasks from the Regional Office of South Asia (ROSA) that are handled at the CO level in support of the RO.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
1. Support to business partnering
- Support the business partners in developing initiatives to encourage employee well-being and employee recognition schemes
- Support the management of change processes by advising clientele on changes to HR processes under the guidance of HR Business Partner
- Support the business partners in assisting clientele in using HR systems such as talent management, agora and achieve
2. Support in processing of entitlement and benefits
- In consultation with supervisor, analyze, research, verify, and compile data and information on cases that do not conform to UN or UNICEF’s HR Rules & Regulations, to support consistent and equitable application of decisions and implementation of agreed upon action
- In consultation with supervisor, analyze, research and verify information for the purpose of responding to staff queries on areas related to benefits and entitlements
- Initiates the processing of a wide range of personnel actions in accordance with UNICEF rules and regulations, by ensuring all relevant forms and actions are completed by staff and forwarded to the GSSC.
- Maintains and prepares all personnel-related records and files, ensuring all information on each staff member is up-to-date and accurate.
3. Support in recruitment and placement
- Prepares and circulates internal and external advertisements.
- Liaises with candidates and hiring managers in the various stages of the recruitment process and writes selection reports.
- Consolidate and undertake all system input of all recruitment reports/documents, prepares formal acknowledgement, offer and regret letters.
- Initiates and follows up on reference checks and academic verifications and ensuring the completion of other background checks.
- Monitors life-cycle of recruitment process to update supervisor as necessary.
4. Support in consultant recruitment and placement
- Facilitates the development and implementation of the country annual consultant plan.
- Timely processing of approved consultant recruitment requests based on approved terms of references and in accordance with UNICEF policies and standards .
- Prepares consultant contracts in Vision and perform R1 releases guided by UNICEF Policies and procedures thereof.
- Timely closure of expired consultant contracts within one month of contract expiry.
- Completion of consultant on boarding and off boarding processes guided by UNICEF policies, procedures and standards.
- Serve as Country Office Focal Point, liaising with GSSC to implement the new consultant invoicing approach including briefing staff and consultants and monitoring progress.
5. Provide specified HR support to the ROSA HR on consultant recruitment including requests for review by Country Office Contract Review Committee (CRC).
- Support ROSA to process Vision individual consultant contracts based on approved TOR and selection process which meets compliance with UNICEF policies and standards.
- Support ROSA HR with review of contract requests to Country Office CRC ensuring compliance with process and documentation and upload to the on-line CRC platform, follow up for outcome and convey to ROSA.
- Support CO HR initiatives with other UN agencies for effective joint planning, cooperation, and implementation.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completion of secondary education, supplemented with technical or university courses related to the work of the organization such as a diploma in HR management and/or a bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences or Human Resources Management
- Minimum of 7 years relevant HR professional experience. Experience in an international organization or the UN is an asset. Experience in collaboration beyond Nepal CO to support the Regional Office will be an asset. A good level of independence in organizing and managing and completing work and problem-solving will be required.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of local language and another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, English, Russian or Spanish) is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: UNICEF Values
UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
(1) Builds and maintains partnerships (2) Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness (3) Drive to achieve results for impact (4) Innovates and embraces change (5) Manages ambiguity and complexity (6) Thinks and acts strategically (7) Works collaboratively with others.
During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels: competency framework here.
UNICEF is here to serve the world’s most disadvantaged children and our global workforce must reflect the diversity of those children. The UNICEF family is committed to include everyone, irrespective of their race/ethnicity, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, socio-economic background, or any other personal characteristic.
We offer a wide range of benefits to our staff, including paid parental leave, breastfeeding breaks and reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. UNICEF strongly encourages the use of flexible working arrangements.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF is committed to promote the protection and safeguarding of all children. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
UNICEF’s active commitment towards diversity and inclusion is critical to deliver the best results for children. For this position, eligible and suitable female candidates and candidates from the under-represented ethnic groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Issuance of a visa by the host country of the duty station, which will be facilitated by UNICEF, is required for IP positions. Appointments are also subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid). Government employees that are considered for employment with UNICEF are normally required to resign from their government before taking up an assignment with UNICEF. UNICEF reserves the right to withdraw an offer of appointment, without compensation, if a visa or medical clearance is not obtained or necessary inoculation requirements are not met within a reasonable period for any reason.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Application close: Sep 05 2023 Nepal Standard Time