Website International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD)
Programme Associate (Open for Nepali nationals only)
Programme Associate (Open for Nepali nationals only)
Application deadline: 16 Nov 2021
ICIMOD is seeking applications for the position, Programme Associate (Open for Nepali nationals only).
Mountain Knowledge and Action Networks
The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) seeks to enable sustainable and resilient mountain development for improved and equitable livelihoods through knowledge generation and regional cooperation.
ICIMOD is a regional intergovernmental learning and knowledge-sharing centre serving the eight regional member countries of the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH) – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan. Working in partnership with regional and international organizations, ICIMOD aims to influence policy and practices to meet environmental and livelihood challenges emerging in the HKH. ICIMOD provides a platform for researchers, practitioners, and policy makers from the region and around the globe to generate and share knowledge, support evidence-based decision making, and encourage regional cooperation.
ICIMOD works through its six Regional Programmes: 1) Adaptation and Resilience Building, 2) Transboundary Landscapes, 3) River Basins and Cryosphere, 4) Atmosphere, 5) Mountain Environment Regional Information System, and 6) Mountain Knowledge and Action Networks. These regional programmes are supported by four Thematic Areas – Livelihoods, Ecosystem Services, Water and Air, and Geospatial Solutions – and underpinned by the Knowledge Management and Communication (KMC) Unit. ICIMOD seeks to contribute to reducing poverty and vulnerability and improving the lives and livelihoods of mountain women, men and children, now and in the future.
The South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economics (SANDEE), under the Regional Programme on Mountain Knowledge and Action Networks, is a regional network that uses economic tools and analyses to address South Asia’s environmental challenges. It works in 10 countries in South Asia – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka – with its research focusing on the economics of natural resource use and environmental change, including ecosystems management, the economics of climate change, and policies and programmes for greener development.
ICIMOD’s thematic areas, regional programmes, and initiatives are supported by programme associates, who provide overall administrative and logistic support to ensure the smooth functioning of their concerned unit.
Responsibilities and task
Under the direct supervision of the SANDEE Programme Coordinator and in close cooperation with the Regional Programme Manager and the initiative team, the Programme Associate will be responsible for the following:
1. Manage general administration
- Provide administrative support to ensure the smooth operation of the initiative/regional programme, including the preparation of a work calendar, contractual agreements, and annual plan and progress reports
- Ensure availability/functioning of required stationery and equipment
- Draft ToRs for individual/institutional contracts
2. Support in organizing national/international travels and events
- Prepare the annual event calendar and related budgets; liaise with other relevant administrative sections for event organization and management
- Prepare participants’ lists, dispatch invitations, and manage follow-up communication
- Arrange travel and vehicles as required and manage travel claim distribution
- Arrange other logistical requirements for events, including travel/hotel/vehicle requirements, stationery, and other equipment
- Manage teaching, training, and research workshops
3. Coordinate finance and administration
- Support in annual planning and budgeting
- Ensure the completion of financial reports as per the standard checklist
- Monitor project budget utilization and payments, and liaise with the Finance Unit for the timely release of payments
- Support the programme in business development
4. Support knowledge management and communication
- Manage the unit’s information management system, including proper filing of documents
- Maintain a database of publications coming out from the SANDEE network
- Maintain communication from the Secretariat to the grantees, trainees, faculty advisors, and network members on a timely basis
5. Support in research grants administration
- Assist the Programme Coordinator in disseminating the call for proposals, screening applications, conducting peer-review processes, and communicating with the applicants
- Carry out the due diligence with the potential grantees, liaising with institutions in the SANDEE network, programme finance, and the Strategic Cooperation Unit
- Maintain and update the grant management system (online portal)
- Remain in close communication with grantees and keep track of their progress on research and organizing inception and dissemination workshops
- Collect workshop reports and other details and fill in the Strategic Planning, Monitoring, and Evaluation Unit’s database for reporting
6. Other responsibilities
- Execute other tasks assigned by the Programme Coordinator and Regional Programme Manager as required and within one’s capacity
- Work in close collaboration with the Programme Coordinator to ensure smooth operation of the initiative
- A bachelor’s degree in business administration with a minimum of two years of work experience in an administrative capacity. An advanced degree or experience related to social and environmental sciences or natural resource management will be an asset.
- Experience in financial reporting and maintenance of accounts
- Strong interest to work in administration in the environment and development sectors
- Demonstrated ability to speak and write fluently in English and Nepali
- Excellent written, communication, and interpersonal skills for communicating and interacting with network members (including at times during off-hours)
- Flexibility in terms of timing for organizing workshops, trainings, and meetings
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office applications)
- Teamwork and cooperation: Works smoothly and effectively with others in the team to establish constructive solutions to meet team objectives
- Result orientation: Takes responsibility for fulfilling challenging goals set in line with organizational processes
- Cross cultural impact: Adjusts to cultural differences and respects and understands cultural differences
- Analytical thinking: Seeks out information to understand problems and uses appropriate data to support decisions
- Continuous improvement and innovation: Continually improves work processes and questions status quo practices, traditions, and assumptions
- Self-development: Demonstrates a continuous learning attitude and seeks opportunities for personal development
- Developing others: Facilitates effective operational results and compliance
Duty station: The duty station is Kathmandu. Frequent travel in the HKH region may be required
Duration: One year, of which the first three months are probationary, with the possibility of an extension subject to ICIMOD’s future funding levels and performance.
Start date: As early as possible.
Renumeration: Salaries and benefits of ICIMOD are competitive compared to other regional organizations; remuneration is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Gender and equity policy: Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women. It operates a Day-Care Centre at the campus and is committed to gender mainstreaming at the organisational and programmatic levels.
Method of application
Applicants are requested to apply online before 16 Nov 2021 through ICIMOD’s online application system.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.