Website Mercy Corps
Location: Dhangadi, Nepal – with field visits as required
Position Status: Full-time, Regular
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has been operating in Nepal since 2005, implementing programs in food security, agriculture, market development, financial services, youth engagement, climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction. We take a systems-based approach in our programming, with the aim of improving the lives and potential of vulnerable individuals and communities across Nepal.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps Nepal is implementing of Managing Risk through Economic Development (M-RED) program in two districts taking 34 hazard-prone and poverty-affected communities in the floodplain in Kailali & Kanchanpur of Sudurpaschim Province, Nepal. M-RED aims to enable smallholder farming communities, particularly the most vulnerable – to be more resilient to natural hazards and the adverse effects of climate change, and to bounce back better and more quickly from natural disasters.
The operations department is committed implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in daily administration, logistics, procurement, asset management and IT for the field offices in Nepal. The overriding objective for all Mercy Corps operations activities are the prompt and effective provision of on-time solutions Mercy Corps’ beneficiary populations in compliance with Mercy Corps’ and donor policies, procedures, regulations, and specifications. The Office Driver will work within the Operations Department, committed to providing reliable and compliant support to program activities in order to achieve efficient service to program beneficiaries.
General Position Summary
The Office Driver will provide safe and reliable transport services for Mercy Corps Nepal Dhangadhi Field Office under MRED Project. S/He will drive office vehicles following the utmost safety and security protocols of office.
The Office Driver will adhere to Mercy Corps Field Fleet Management Policy, Field Operation SOP, Fleet Safety SOP Personal Vehicle Usage Policy for Expatriate and follow all traffic and safety rules and regulations as per Government of Nepal transport guidelines. The Office Driver will adhere to MC-Nepal Safety and Security Management Plan and SOP for First Aids and Fire Health, Incident reporting, Vehicle Use Road Safety.
Essential Job Responsibility
- Responsible for the safekeeping of all vehicle equipment, tools, first aid kits, spares etc., and update the checklist on monthly basis. Keep the vehicle ready, clean and on standby – ready for use always.
- Check the vehicle conditions after each trip/routinely and report needs and problems to Admin and Log Officer.
- Ensure that vehicles are safe, and road-worthy and the vehicle documents are timely renewed, pollution certificate is obtained.
- Adhere to all safety and communication protocols, use of GPS system and as advised by Mercy Corps and supervisor.
- Oversee fuel consumption purchase and tracking including coordination with gas station.
- Submit Vehicle Service Requests to Admin and Logistics Officer for review and approval.
- Ensure major repairs are done in a timely manner. Collect and submit vehicle related receipts to the Admin and Log Officer.
- Maintain digital vehicle log-sheets and monthly consumption reports in accordance with Field Fleet Management Policy and submit to supervisor.
- Maintain daily vehicle board and ensure the daily request from staff for fleet is managed.
- Ensure security measures for vehicles such as parking, storage of keys, emergency supplies, etc.
- Prepare digital and online vehicle log sheets, raise PR, use of online platforms to fill in timesheet, leave requests and others, prepare incident report and complete mandatory on-line courses independently.
- In coordination with Security Focal Point, organize levies as needed for field trips.
Ensure that accident reports are completed and filed.
- Be updated with road situation and geography and use of GPS devices. Knowledge of route to all Mercy Corps working area at Provinces.
- Assist, as required, with logistics in the office daily workloads such as utility payments, courier pick up drop off, front desk management and checking mail at the Post Office when required etc.
- Prepare maintenance report and report all maintenance needs of the vehicle to Admin and Log Officer on a regular basis.
- Knowledge of basic first aid and providing basic life support.
- Use Office motorbikes for petty works and exhibit proactiveness to carry out any unforeseen emergency works.
- Operate MC vehicles as assigned by the supervisor. Undertake field assignments as assigned.
- Conduct themself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring value to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in the country of operation.
LIASION, COORDINATION AND COLLABORATION
- Establish good relations and coordination with Dhangadhi Office Staff, visitors, and vendors.
- Work closely with the Finance Department, Program Department, Operation Department.
- Adhere to the MC Code of Ethics and uphold Mercy Corps’ Zero tolerance of corruption policy.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members and community operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO PROGRAM PARTICPANTS
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging participating communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Mercy Corps as a humanitarian agency is expected to respond as and when crisis and humanitarian situation engulfs. As MC employees all staff are expected to be part of humanitarian and emergency response in addition to their regular roles and responsibilities.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not to jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned by his/her supervisor and or Head of Dhangadhi Office, MRED Program Manager.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Admin and Logistics Officer
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Admin and Log Officer, Head of Dhangadhi Office and MRED Teams.
Knowledge and Experience
- Technical knowledge and skill about vehicle repair and maintenance.
- Basic knowledge of MS word, spreadsheet, email, data entry.
- At least SLC or equivalent academic qualification.
- Must have Nepali citizenship and PAN registration.
- Knowledge of general Safety and Security Management Plan, First Aids, Fire, Incident reporting and Vehicle Use Road Safety.
- Must have clear eyesight/vision both day and night and have latest eyesight test report.
- Knowledge of operating vehicle GPS system.
- At least 5 years of experience in driving 4X4 vehicles with a clear past driving record.
Valid driving license with knowledge of transport and traffic regulations.
- Familiar with the Government of Nepal’s Ministries and Departments and government regulation for submitting and collecting official documents.
- Basic understanding of spoken and written English and fluency in other local languages is preferred.
Basic Mechanical knowledge on vehicle repair and maintenance
The successful Office Driver will ensure the vehicle is well managed and staff and office assets are transported safely to the required destination. S/he will also be always presentable and in the office casuals. The Office Driver, as per the nature of the job might be expected to work beyond work hours and or at the weekends. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations. The Office Driver should have a good knowledge of maintenance of minor problems in vehicles. The Office Driver should demonstrate gentle manners with guests and staff while offering vehicle movement facility. The Office Driver will be able to provide services as per the need of work.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct e-learning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Hiring organization: Mercy Corps Nepal
Job Location: Dhangadi, Nepal
Valid through: February 11, 2024
PDF Export: Export as PDF