Website Committed To Good (CTG)
Vacancy id: VAC-10707
Job title: VAC-10707 Technical Expert – Environment (Industrial Polymer Experience – MUST)
Start date: 01-Mar-2024
Duration: 1 year
Number of vacancies: 1
Qualification: Master’s in or equivalent in a relevant subject such as polymer science & polymer engineering, material engineering, environmental science, natural science, environmental engineering, sustainability or environmental management, processing engineering or biotechnology is required. An additional 2 years of relevant work experience in combination with a relevant bachelor’s or equivalent may be accepted in lieu of the masters degree (essential).
Sector experience: Minimum of 7 year/s of demonstrable relevant polymer science & polymer engineering, plastic waste management at industrial scale, environmental management experience (essential).
Geographical experience: Minimum of 7 year/s of experience in Asia (essential).
Languages: Fluent in English (essential).
CTG staff and support humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world, providing a rapid and cost-effective service for development and humanitarian missions. With past performance in 17 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and Asia, we have placed more than 20,000 staff all over the world since operations began in 2006.
CTG recruits, deploys and manages the right people with the right skills to implement humanitarian and development projects, from cleaners to obstetricians, and mechanics to infection specialists, we’re skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Key to successful project delivery is the ability to mobilise at speed; CTG can source and deploy anyone, anywhere, in less than 2 weeks and have done so in 48 hours on a number of occasions.
Through our efficient and agile HR, logistical and operational services, CTG saves multilateral organisations time and money. We handle all our clients’ HR related issues, so they are free to focus on their core services.
Visit www.ctg.org to find out more
Overview of position
- Our client is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian & development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, they provide sustainable project management, procurement & infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors & United Nations organizations. With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, they offers its partners the logistical, technical & management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for their partners at any given time, our client makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
- Our client has signed an MOU with an intergovernmental organization called SACEP (South Asia Cooperative Environment Program). SACEP is implementing the World Bank funded PLEASE Project in South Asia. In accordance with the agreement, our client will provide implementation support & advice to SACEP in implementing the Plastic free Rivers & Seas for South Asia Project (PLEASE). They are expected to assist the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) in implementing the RBGs (Regional Competitive Block Grants) under component 1, component 2 & component 3 of the PLEASE Project.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager & overall Supervision of the Senior Program Manager. The incumbent will support our client to implement project activities in the country & provide technical support & advice to the project lead, in communication with the project HQ in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Technical advice & support to grant implementation:
- Support the grantees to understand strategic directions & technical features of the project & ensure high quality of the project implementation. This may include issues specific to pollution from the specific projects, emissions reduction, energy conservation, environmental & development of social management plan.
- Support the grantees to develop key guidance, templates & other management tools & instruments as required, to enhance the ability of project personnel & teams to plan & implement environmental management activities in their projects, such as environmental management frameworks, environment management plans or environment impact assessments, among others.
- Carry out environmental due diligence to grantees, contractors & suppliers prior to commencement of project work to ensure that the ones with unsatisfactory performance are not engaged.
- Support grantees to understand plastic waste characteristic & possible leakages to natural system.
- Support to organize training to the selected grantees to earn knowledge on properties of plastic waste & possible solutions to the specific types of the plastic waste.
- Support grantees to improve knowledge on plastic waste management; develop reports on comparison on national, international & product stands on key parameters relevant to the specific project.
- Deep knowledge on plastic waste issues in the country & possible solutions that could ease the plastic waste management issues in the country; understand the global trend of plastic treatment options & explore possibilities to implement innovative projects.
- Familiar with ISO / TR 23891 : 2020 & ISO 14001 & look for a possibility to adopt the standard to the local context.
- Identify possible risks that may be encountered by the grantees & assist to develop suitable mitigation measures.
- Thorough understanding on national policy related to plastic waste management & guide the grantees to assist government in framing plastic waste management in the local context & regional requirements.
Support grantees to technical documents for the operations of facilities:
- Provide technical advice, directions & a quality assurance framework within the region in relation to environment & sustainability.
- Support development of standard operations procedures for the facility supported through the PLEASE project & ensure the facility is managed as per the standard operations procedures.
- Provide technical inputs to develop standard operating procedure & facilitate obtaining validation from the respective national & regional counterparts.
- Explore distructive technology & estimate risk to the existing projects & develop mitigation measures.
- Provide support to conduct time & motion study & set up effective plastic waste collection system.
Explore new innovative idea & support to test the prototypes:
- Support grantees to develop new innovation & develop prototypes.
- Facilitate the grantees to test the prototypes.
- Support coordination with national universities & find out new trends of the research & interest of students & faculty members in the plastic waste management.
- Coordinate with research institutes or university to test samples of products produced at the facility.
- Review the test report & provide advice to the production process improvement if required.
- Support the grantee to seek possibilities to expand the project & diversity the products.
Support to reporting & grant monitoring & evaluation:
- Review technical reports & provide comments for improvements.
- Align skills & policies of the grantees with sectoral strategies that contribute to export growth, economic diversification & employment creation.
- Build & maintain an institution for continuous skills dialogue & support to implementation.
- Integration into broader technical assistance projects in the area of skills, trade, sector development & employment promotion.
- Assist grantees to develop write ups related to the project & related activities & ensure it meets international standards.
- Participate in QC / QA missions & provide technical analysis & advice.
- Support communications & knowledge management activities under the project.
This role works under the direct supervision of the Project Manager & overall Supervision of the Senior Program Manager.
- Master’s or equivalent in a relevant subject such as polymer science & polymer engineering, material engineering, environmental science, natural science, environmental engineering, sustainability or environmental management, processing engineering or biotechnology is required. An additional 2 years of relevant work experience in combination with a relevant bachelor’s or equivalent may be accepted in lieu of the masters degree.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in polymer science & polymer engineering, plastic waste management at industrial scale, environmental management sector is required.
- Research experience & relevant publication records are required.
- Familiarity with the national & international policy framework, standards & systems in plastic management is required.
- Experience in drafting of impact assessments & plans such as ESIAs, ESMPs & ESMF, etc. is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of the local language(s) is an asset.
Team management experience is required for this role.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
- At no stage of the recruitment process will CTG ask candidates for a fee. This includes during the application stage, interview, assessment and training.
- CTG has a zero tolerance to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA) which is outlined in its Code of Conduct. Protection from SEA is everyone’s responsibility and all staff are required to adhere to CTG’s Code of Conduct at all times.
Apply by: 07-Feb-2024