Website Helen Keller International
Human Resource Manager
Department / Location: HR/Kathmandu
Direct Line Supervision: Director of Program Operations
Inter-Line Supervision: HR Coordinator
Internal: All Helen Keller Nepal staff
External: APRO and Global HR
The HR Manager will be responsible for carrying out the Human Resources functions of Helen Keller Intl Nepal program ensuring that best HR practices are applied across the country program, in all projects. S/he will be responsible for compensation management and for building the capacity and competence of national staff counterparts. The HR Manager is also responsible for managing staff performance), lead in recruitment, payroll management, staff contract management and overall HR function is country program. In addition to this, s/he will be GESI, Safeguarding focal person for the country office.
The HR Manager is also responsible to provide technical support needs to projects and partners (as needed)
As gender and social inclusion (GESI) is a cross-cutting and core component for Helen Keller programs, all personnel are required to ensure GESI sensitivity and integration where they work. Ensure proper integration of GESI aspects into sector specific program planning and implementation working closely with GESI officers.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
Policy & Procedures Development
- Review HR Manual each year to accommodate new changes and to make sure it is revised as per the local law, HKI context and requirement.
- Review current HR procedures and practices, terms and conditions, in line with Helen Keller policies best practices and ensure a system is put in place for regular updating of the HR filing.
- Write directives/memo advising staff of organization policies regarding HR functions, equal employment opportunities, internship policy, anti-harassment policy, GESI, compensation, and employee benefits, etc.
- Ensure HR information systems, processes and filing procedures are maintained and developed where necessary.
- Liaise with global management for necessary HR strategy implementation.
Support and Capacity Development
- Plan and conduct new employee orientations on HR policies and practices to foster positive attitudes toward organization and project goals.
- Plan and coordinate with HQ for online mandatory training of HR policies and other HR compliance trainings such as Fraud, Trafficking in Persons, Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment, etc., to employees each year.
- Compile capacity assessments of Helen Keller employees in line with performance evaluations and develop performance improvement action plans for capacity development.
- Coordinate in organizing capacity building trainings and motivational session to Helen Keller staff both inhouse and external.
- Lead and carry out recruitment and selection process as per the requirement which includes processing JD/ToR, SRF, shortlisting, organizing assessments, global office validation where needed, reference checks and closing the process with proper documentation as part of selection process.
- Responsible to manage the HR online recruitment system.
- Support to logistics team in consultants’ recruitment.
Helen Keller Internal HR System Management
- Review KellerNet employee system on regular basis; share/disseminate HR related information to staff and management.
- Initiate activation, modification and deactivation of Helen Keller Nepal staff in NetSuite system as per set protocol.
Contracts and Documentation
- Responsible for renewing contracts for all staff and prepare modifications as and when required.
- Manage personnel transactions’ documents such as hiring, promotions, transfers, performance reviews, terminations, compensation etc.
- Keep personal files and other HR files up to date for CMT reference as well as for audit purpose.
- Prepare, process salary for employees every month, based on the timesheet and leave records and send pay slips.
- Responsible to manage and update the HR payroll system.
- Calculate final payment of outgoing employees and close their files.
- Budgeting of salary and benefits as well as preparation of gratuity, festival and vacation accrual every month to be provided to finance department.
- Reconcile salary at the end of the year to check discrepancies and prepare salary survey sheet as and when required.
- Act as focal person for all Conversations to Connect (C2C) – a performance management system – queries and issues.
- Provide orientation on C2C to employees.
- Administer C2C process, collection of C2C forms from staff, verify them and document them properly.
- Prepare C2C report to be submitted to the management for further decision.
Timesheets and LOE Preparation
- Responsible for overall handling of leave and timesheet system known as Journyx.
- Check and verify timesheets and leaves submitted in the system.
- Maintain leave and timesheet records of employees for salary calculation.
- Verify and close level of effort reporting to be submitted to HQ every month.
GESI and Safeguarding Focal Person:
- Handling GESI related queries and concerns
- Coordinate and support CO in operationalize the roll out of HKI GESI strategy and policy.
- Act as a Safeguarding focal person for Helen Keller Nepal and
- Conduct PSEAH trainings to all staff.
Representation and reporting
- Representing the organization whenever there is a need.
- Attending the in-house as well as outside meetings as per requirement
- Administer salary and tax clearance certificates.
- Administer experience letter, and SSF as per requirement.
- HR Audit support
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Minimum of master’s degree in management (preferably specialized in Human Resource Management) or relevant degree.
- At least 7 years of professional work experience in a similar role in international organization
- Familiar with HR and Administrative management
- Excellent knowledge on Nepal Labor Law
- Excellent knowledge on Tax Rules
- Excellent team player
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
Experience using Excel, Word, and PowerPoint:
- Excellent computer skills (including Microsoft Word & Excel, Power point) and excellent presentation skills.
- Experience in working with government, district offices and likeminded INGOs.
- Willing to travel to field offices as required.