Website World Food Programme (WFP)
Career Opportunities: Engineer (829439)
WFP encourages female candidates and people with disabilities to apply.
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The position will be based in the Nepal Country Office in Kathmandu. They will report to the Head of Engineering Unit in relation to all matters of engineering services and construction activities. They are involved in day–to-day practical engineering activities and analytical work. Subject to the overall guidance, job holders’ complete assignments and provide advice on engineering issues, applying the established norms, standards regulations and providing expertise in making determinations and recommendations across a range of daily activities. When required as deputy head of the unit the incumbent will act as officer in charge and report directly to the Country Director while managing the staff within the unit and necessary operational activities. The position will provide construction and engineering expertise and contribute to the efficient delivery and quality outputs.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Position Title: Engineer
Contract Type: Fixed Term (FT)
Contract Duration: 1 year (with possible extension)
Duty Station: Kathmandu, Nepal
Vacancy Number: 829439
Deadline of Application: 26 September 2023
WFP offers a competitive benefits package including salary plus a medical insurance (https://newgo.wfp.org/collection/medical-insurance-coverage-scheme-mics-cigna)
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the overall and direct supervision of the Head of Engineering Unit, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties;
- Contribute to the implementation of WFP Policies, standards, norms and practices ensuring compliance with wider WFP policies, procedures, guidelines and operations.
- Provide engineering and project management services, apply best practises, standards and innovative technologies that comply with WFP standards and processes.
- Contribute towards the analysis of project proposal to enable effective decision making on project technical feasibility.
- Prepare evidenced based recommendations for senior staff on measures to improve WFP facilities suitability to operational purpose, safety, and efficiency of structures and equipment.
- Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting on outputs to facilitate informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to the stakeholders.
- Provide technical guidance that support a successful construction procurement process.
- Participate in technical or design review, exchange of knowledge and experience, keeping abreast of construction and engineering technologies, to facilitate implementation of innovative engineering solutions.
- Support the capacity building of engineering staff to facilitate the continued development and high performance.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with internal and external clients to effectively meet clients’ expectations.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitor the management of risks.
- Other as required
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: First University degree (Bachelors) in Civil Engineering or related Engineering discipline. Hold or be eligible for Accreditation to “Professional Engineer” or “Chartered Engineer” status, or recognised equivalent by an appropriate national i.e. Nepal Engineering Council (NEC) or international regulatory authority.
Language: Fluency in both written and spoken communications in English and Nepali.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- 3 to 7 years of professional experience as a civil engineer, out of which 2 or more years of work experience in the UN is desirable.
- Has worked effectively under supervision on a large number of varied design and construction projects and taken responsibility for work elements which have been assigned.
- Has contributed to projects demonstrating knowledge of engineering specialisations in relation to fire safety, seismic blast or environmental requirements.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Has excellent understanding of procurement rules and procedures
- Has experience of leadership of teams and reporting to senior management
- Skilled in use of Microsoft Project, Primavera, and AutoCAD
WFP LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK: COMMON STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOUR
- Leads by example with Integrity
- Drives results and Delivers on commitments
- Fosters inclusive and collaborative teamwork.
- Applies strategic thinking
- Builds and maintains sustainable partnerships
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered, interested candidates are invited to apply via (https://www.wfp.org/careers/job-openings). Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Request for Disability related Reasonable Accommodations:
It is important to WFP to create an accessible and inclusive workplace for everyone. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the selection and hiring process, please direct your request and inquiries to email@example.com. A member of the HR team responsible for reasonable accommodation will contact you to confidentially discuss your needs.
This email is only to be used for any disability related accessibility requirements and not for sending the application itself. Due to the volume of applications, any applications or CVs sent through this email address will not be considered a formal application and will not receive a reply from WFP.
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment.
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.