Website International IDEA
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Since 2004, International IDEA has supported three main areas of the democratic process in Nepal: transition to peace and to a democratic system, constitution building and electoral processes. During the period 2004-2015, International IDEA’s main partners included the two Constituent Assemblies, their Legislature Parliaments and Secretariats, the Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development and the Election Commission of Nepal.
In 2015, once the new Constitution was promulgated and Nepal became a Federal Republic with three spheres of government – federal, provincial and local – International IDEA’s work shifted towards supporting the implementation of key constitutional provisions. Accordingly, since 2016, International IDEA has been supporting local governance systems and processes through deliberative political decision-making processes, in partnership with the Ministry of Federal Affairs and General Administration (MOFAGA) and the then Department for International Development (DFID), and now the UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office, British Embassy in Kathmandu (FCDO/BEK).
Coherence is a joint programme co-created by the MOFAGA, FCDO/BEK and International IDEA, with the overall aim of promoting political coherence within the Nepali system, focused on local and provincial government systems. In the transition phase of Coherence (July 2023 – July 2024), the programme under component 4- Demand-led support to BEK change processes, portfolio realignment and problem-solving will facilitate FCDO’s political engagement with the provinces to support FCDO approach to thinking and working politically through the establishment of a Provincial Engagement Facility (PEF) in Karnali, Madesh and Lumbini. The PEF will be guided by the Constitution of Nepal, Provincial “Givens” and the FCDO/BEK Provincial Engagement Strategy. The facility will provide administrative and logistical support during FCDO high-level visits as well as regular visits of the respective FCDO programme team. The PEF will engage closely with the Office of the Chief Minister and Council of Ministers (OCMCM), the Provincial Planning Commission, and other relevant stakeholders in respective provinces. It will also ensure fortnight/bi-weekly specific provincial reporting, and monthly provincial context analysis regarding FCDO priority programmes in the provinces and assist in learning and sharing across various FCDO programmes as well as within the respective province by facilitating periodic updates of 5Ws and quarterly learning and sharing sessions.
The Programme Manager supports the Head of Programme in the effective management of PEF functions of the three provinces through day-to-day engagement and backstopping support to the Provincial Programme Managers (PPM), reporting and stakeholder engagement. The Programme Manager also engages with FCDO-BEK in identifying monthly and quarterly priorities and facilitates in planning the PEF work accordingly.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the Head of Programme in the effective management of PEF functions of the three provinces through day-to-day engagement and backstopping support to the Provincial Programme Managers (PPM)
- Interfaces with FCDO/BEK advisers and programme managers to provide updates on PEF functioning, sharing learnings, and raising any issues and challenges for resolution, i.e., with regard to the provincial engagement strategy and its implementation.
- Prepares and compiles quarterly reports on the implementation of PEF for FCDO by working closely with the respective provincial team. Ensures financial updates are integrated in quarterly reports,
- Provides timely updates on key changes and events within the respective provinces, and at federal spheres that are relevant for FCDO programming in Nepal.
- Manages monthly context updates for FCDO as well as detailed quarterly updates by engaging with appropriate senior governance experts and other relevant stakeholders.
- Represents FCDO/BEK to a wide range of stakeholders and helps to communicate in consultation with HoNP/International IDEA Nepal Programme and FCDO/BEK.
- Supports Provincial Programme Managers in cultivating, nurturing, and consolidating a network of contacts among civil society, community-based organizations, academics, development stakeholders and government line agencies and political parties in the provinces.
- Provides quality assurance of various exercises undertaken to facilitate provincial engagements such as stakeholder mapping, stakeholder engagement strategy, context analysis reports, capacity needs analysis, FCDO/BEK-funded activity mapping, coordination mechanisms -reporting on the 5W’s etc.
- Provides oversight and backstopping support to planning, organizing, and executing the high-level visits for FCDO/BEK
- Provides quality assurance of briefing notes, bios and other information that are required by FCDO/BEK as required/relevant for high-level visits.
- Facilitates quarterly/monthly learning meetings with BEK implementing partners;
- Attends provincial team reflection meetings and monthly meetings with International IDEA Nepal’s senior management team.
- Explores areas for synergies with other International IDEA’s initiatives such as PCGG learning integration, Sahakarya, and engagement with NARMIN to draw lessons learnt and to inform FCDO/BEK’s engagement with Provinces.
- Facilitates quarterly/monthly learning meetings with BEK implementing partners;
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through academic achievements, excellent skills including managerial skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Manages assigned projects throughout the project life cycle, i.e. from strategic planning and project design, funding and budgeting to project assessment and accountability; leads meetings and discussions, supervises publications and input from external providers;
- Has contributed to publications on their relevant subject; is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Directly manages a team of contributors to the project, including staff members and possibly consultants;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model and mentor for colleagues;
- Is expected to travel to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’ s core values; Respect, Integrity and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and inclusion perspective in all activities.
- Head of Programme, Nepal
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in political science, development studies, rural development or law or other relevant discipline,
- A minimum of seven (7) years of professional experience of working on strengthening governance systems and processes,
- Experience establishing professional networks and coordinating among provincial and local government entities
- Experience managing diverse teams at the Provincial and/or Local Government level is preferred.
- Experience in working in a civil society organization or international organization will be an advantage.
- Prior experience implementing a mentoring approach is an added advantage.
- Fluency in written and oral English and Nepali is required. Knowledge of a regional language is an asset. Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would be an asset
Terms of Contract:
- Local Post.
- Fixed-term appointment until 31 July 2024
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to the relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Nepal for the duration of the contract. International IDEA is not able to support work permit applications.
Applying for this position:
Applications should be submitted online no later than 23:59 (CET) on 30th January 2024.
Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a written test assessment and up to two (2) interviews.
- Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the process will be contacted once all applications have been carefully reviewed.
- All candidates will be notified of the status of their application via email once the process has been finalized.
International IDEA is an equal-opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
Applications should be submitted no later than 23:59 (CET) 30th January 2024