Website International IDEA
Associate Programme Officer
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Since 2004, International IDEA has supported three main areas of the democratic process in Nepal: transition to peace and to a democratic system, constitution building and electoral processes. During the period 2004-2015, International IDEA’s main partners included the two Constituent Assemblies, their Legislature Parliaments and Secretariats, the Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development and the Election Commission of Nepal.
In 2015, once the new Constitution was promulgated and Nepal became a Federal Republic with three spheres of government – federal, provincial and local – International IDEA’s work shifted towards supporting the implementation of key constitutional provisions, supporting the newly introduced federal system by strengthening local government system through deliberative political decision-making processes, in partnership with the Ministry of Federal Affairs and General Administration (MOFAGA) and the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID).
Coherence is a joint programme co-created by the MOFAGA, FCDO/BEK and International IDEA, with the overall aim of promoting political coherence within the Nepali system, focused on local and provincial government systems. In the transition phase of Coherence (July 2023 – July 2024), the programme under component 4- Demand-led support to BEK change processes, portfolio realignment and problem-solving will facilitate FCDO’s political engagement with the provinces to support FCDO approach to thinking and working politically through the establishment of a Provincial Engagement Facility (PEF) in Karnali, Madesh and Lumbini. The PEF will be guided by the Constitution of Nepal, Provincial “Givens” and the FCDO/BEK Provincial Engagement Strategy. The Facility will provide administrative and logistical support during FCDO high-level visits as well as regular visits of the respective FCDO programme team. The PEF will engage closely with the Office of the Chief Minister and Council of Ministers (OCMCM), the Provincial Planning Commission, and other relevant stakeholders in respective provinces. It will also ensure fortnight/bi-weekly specific provincial reporting, and monthly provincial context analysis regarding FCDO priority programmes in the provinces and assist in learning and sharing across various FCDO programmes as well as within the respective province by facilitating periodic updates of 5Ws and quarterly learning and sharing sessions.
The Associate Programme Officer will support the Programme Manager to contribute to the smooth functioning of the PEF field offices through stakeholder engagement and coordination with key partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the consolidation of contextual analysis, stakeholder mapping, power mapping and other relevant exercises received from the PEF field offices; drafts analytical summary reports.
- Provides regular information about the political landscape, assessment of risks and emerging opportunities to FCDO/BEK in terms of provincial engagement and coordinates, and collaborates with field offices developing in-depth analysis on the most relevant topics;
- Supports, reviews, and ensures consistency of data and information (briefs and reports) presented from the provincial offices.
- Supports provincial teams to map and visualize the coordination between FCDO/BEK partners using 5W’s.
- Periodically collaborates with provincial offices to organize reflection meetings on the usability of data, situation reports and other sources of information to inform evidence-based constructive provincial engagement.
- Attends stakeholder meetings, drafts briefing notes and takes minutes;
- Supports the monitoring, evaluation and learning colleagues in terms of alignment to donors reporting templates, and timely, quality contributions of PEF under component 4.
- Captures and shares learnings (opportunities, challenges etc.) realized through provincial engagements through experience sharing, reflection notes, storytelling etc.
- Explores areas for synergies with other International IDEA’s initiatives such as PCGG learning integration, Sahakarya, and engagement with NARMIN to draw lessons learnt and to inform FCDO/BEK’s engagement with Provinces.
- Requires good knowledge, excellent skills and initial experience in their field;
- Will contribute to assigned projects in different aspects of the project life cycle, more specifically will conduct research and analysis, will draft various documents (articles, concept notes, agreements, etc.) and will support the projects vis-à-vis all internal and external stakeholders;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required;
- Can be expected to travel to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s core values; Respect, Integrity and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Programme Manager, Kathmandu
Education and Experience
- University degree in political science, international development, development studies, Sociology, Economics, Human Rights or Law or other relevant discipline;
- A minimum of three (3) years of professional experience working on strengthening governance systems and processes.
- Experience in establishing inter-relationships, coordination among provincial and local government entities and programme management will be an asset.
- Experience in political economic analysis and documentation such as contextual analysis, stakeholder mapping, power mapping, and stakeholders’ engagement.
- Experience in working in a civil society organization, or intergovernmental/international organization, is considered an advantage;
- Advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Office package (including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and the Internet is required
- Fluency in written and oral English and Nepali is required. Knowledge of other regional languages such as Maithili and/or Bhojpuri will be considered an asset.
Terms of Contract:
- Local Post.
- Fixed term appointment 31 July 2024.
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to the relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Nepal for the duration of the contract. International IDEA is not able to support work permit applications.
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 23:59 (CET) on 30th January 2024.
- Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a written test assessment and up to two (2) interviews.
- Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the process will be contacted once all applications have been carefully reviewed.
- All candidates will be notified of the status of their application via email once the process has been finalized.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
Applications should be submitted no later than 23:59 (CET) on 30th January 2024