Website Nepal Renewable Energy Programme (NREP)
Position Title: Knowledge Management and Communications Specialist
Full/Part-Time: Full Time Position
Reports to: NREP Cross-Cutting Workstream Lead
Primary Position Location: Kathmandu
Duration of Contract: November 2023 – March 2024 with the possibility of extension
The Nepal Renewable Energy Programme (NREP) is a Government of Nepal programme funded by the British Embassy-Kathmandu (BE-K) aiming to transformational change in Sustainable Energy development in Nepal through increased private investment resulting in low-carbon economic growth and sustainable energy access for all. NREP operates in three Provinces: Madhesh, Lumbini, and Karnali. The Programme is implemented by the Alternative Energy Promotion Centre (AEPC) with Technical Assistance from the DAI Global UK Consortium— including DAI, Winrock International, Policy Entrepreneurs Inc., and Samriddha Pahad.
Briefly, NREP has been designed to increase private sector investment to develop distributed renewable energy markets, primarily in commercial, institutional, and industrial market sectors; increase universal energy access, and a corresponding higher quality of life, to Nepali citizens living in remote regions and facilitate a policy, planning, legal construct, and regulatory environment conducive to both enabling and sustaining progress in RE market development and universal energy access.
NREP has also supported the design and implementation of the viability gap-based fund called Sustainable Energy Challenge Fund (SECF) to increase private sector investment to develop distributed renewable energy markets. The SECF is embedded with Central Renewable Energy Fund (CREF) the financial mechanism of AEPC. SECF provides both financial and technical assistance to the distributed sustainable energy projects to ensure their financial viability and sustainable operation. The SECF is designed to attract private sector investments into the RE sector either in the form of equity and credit. SECF will de-risk investments into near commercial viability from the projects.
Scope of work of Knowledge Management and Communication Specialist
A knowledgeable, skilled and experienced Knowledge Management and Communication Specialist is needed to support NREP and relevant stakeholders on strategic messaging and target audience identification to advance NREP goals. The Specialist will provide strategic guidance and support for all strategic knowledge management and communication activities under NREP.
- The Specialist will support the Team Leader and workstream leads to achieve and maintain effective communications with BE-K, NREP team members, AEPC, MoEWRI and other local partners, and key stakeholders.
- The Specialist will establish and maintain Knowledge Management and Communications systems, platforms, processes, and tools to support NREP’s efficient and effective knowledge creation, management, learning, and dissemination and to ensure programme’s institutional memory.
- The Specialist will identify key institutions and experts and arrange meetings (individually or with NREP team members) to gain more insights into their knowledge management and communication efforts, both at Federal level as well as Provincial and local levels. This covers public (including AEPC), private sector and civil society, including media houses.
- The Specialist will lead and support the team to conduct or co-ordinate various events like development partner coordination meetings, exchange visits, capacity building trainings on knowledge management and communications, investor forums, knowledge dialogues, workshops and research dissemination events.
- The Specialist will maintain and advise team on BE-K and DAI-Europe’s marking and branding requirements.
- The Specialist will develop and implement strategies and activities to promote communication and learnings both internally and externally.
Specifically, the Knowledge Management and Communication Specialist will:
- Manage and coordinate across different workstream activities to ensure the efficient delivery of the programme results with a focus on knowledge management and communication deliverables. This includes designing and producing high quality knowledge and communication products for multiple or targeted audiences, as relevant;
- Support in generating case studies and policy evidence related to NREP scope of work by producing, reviewing and disseminating different communication and knowledge products such as case stories, photos, interviews, newsletters, manuals, press release, notices, announcements, fact sheets, policy briefs, video documentaries, technical reports, project opportunity assessment reports, pre-assessment reports, website and social media content and management, quarterly and annual reports, presentations, brochures, banners and other knowledge management and communication outreach materials;
- Ensure quality control by reviewing, proof reading and editing the programme documents across different workstreams. S/he will guide and verify the work done by English-Nepali/Nepali-English Translators (STTA);
- Conduct knowledge uptake surveys to access the knowledge outreach and use among the stakeholders;
- Review and revise NREP’s external and internal Knowledge Management and Communication strategy to meet the emerging needs and requirements;
- Prepare and disseminate Renewable Energy Sector Toolkit, white paper;
- Support to develop media and digital strategy of the partners as needed;
- Capacitate the stakeholders and the team on knowledge management and communications through in-person training and online webinars;
- Advance GESI/LNOB goals by producing GESI/LNOB friendly knowledge products including policy briefs and other communication materials;
- Implement other activities as delegated by the NREP Team Leader and Cross Cutting Workstream Leader.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in communications, media including journalism, social sciences, or any other related field.
- At least 8 years of demonstrated knowledge and experience in knowledge management and strategic communication. Experience within the renewable energy sector would be an added advantage.
- Experience of working with major donors / on donor funded projects in the fields of knowledge management related to policy, governance, finance and/or investment, and desired understanding of Knowledge Management and communication requirements of the donors.
- Experience in developing communication outputs targeting policy makers, private sector and finance/investment stakeholders
- Ability to provide advice and be strategic and analytical in approach to knowledge management.
- Experience in managing web-based knowledge management system and handling web communications including website update, social media handling and outreach.
- Skill and experience in graphic design will be an advantage.
- Excellent writing, editing, research and verbal communication skills in English and Nepali.
- Ability to work under time pressure and meet deadlines including ad-hoc and unforeseen expectations to deliver.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both individually and as a team member.
If you are interested in applying for these positions, please send us your application via email, no later than CoB on 22nd October 2023 to NREPrecruitment@NREPNEPAL.COM . In your email, please include;
- Your motivation, outlining why you believe you would be the perfect fit for this job.
- Your updated Curriculum Vitae with three recent references and
- Copies of your key relevant educational degrees.
- Mention the name of the position in the subject of the email
Even though we appreciate your interest in NREP work, we will only be able to contact short-listed candidates.