Website Food and Agriculture Organization
National Biopesticide Specialist
Organizational Unit: FANEP – FAO Representation in Nepal
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Nepal-Kathmandu
Duration: 130 working days from December 2023 to May 2025
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is a specialized technical agency of the United Nations. The FAO mission is to work toward the eradication of hunger and strive for food security for everyone as stated in the 2030 Agenda. The FAO’s Strategic Framework aspires to transform agri-food systems so that they are more efficient, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable. The ultimate goals of these efforts include better production, better nutrition, better environment, and better lives, while leaving no one behind. The FAO also embraces the One Health approach to address threats posed by chemical fertilizer and pesticides to human health.
The one of the key priorities of the Country Programming Framework (CPF) for Nepal (2023-27) entails acquiring food security, and safety, and sustainable consumption for reduction of hunger and malnutrition through creating better environment for achieving Better Production and Better Life.
FAO works on the sustainable management, conservation and restoration of natural resources and ecosystems that support and protect agricultural livelihoods (e.g.: land, water, genetic, species and ecosystem, diversity); improve ecosystem health, ecological functions and processes that are vital for agricultural livelihoods such as nutrient cycling, soil formation, water infiltration, pollination, pest and disease regulation, carbon sequestration, etc. Also, FAO promotes the Nature-Based Solutions (NBS) that harnesses biodiversity and ecosystem services to reduce vulnerability and build resilience to climate change.
The deliverables of this TCP aim at strengthening the national capacity and capability of the Government institutions to facilitate good practices of NBS supported through agro-ecological innovation or measures, technologies, and biological crop protection products.
The national Biopesticide Specialist will work for the regional TCP project entitled “Strengthening the capacities of Government counterparts and relevant stakeholders for increasing productivity and building climate resilient agriculture through nature-based solutions in Asia”, especially of the Nepal component with direct supervision of the FAO country office, under the technical guidance of the Lead Technical Officer of this project,
The incumbent will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Nepal, in close consultation with AFAOR (programme), with technical guidance of the lead Technical Officer (LTO), and in and close coordination with the relevant government counterparts.
As a national Biopesticide Specialist, the incumbent will technically focus to develop training materials, awareness materials, knowledge products, NBSs related protocol and guidelines and deliver hands-on training on biocontrol agents rearing techniques (insect pathogenic fungi, nematodes, and virus-based cultures) to the government staff in the plant protection laboratories and low-cost mass production system with private sectors, where possible.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The Specialist will perform the following tasks:
- Review project document and develop an action plan in coordination with NPC, LTO, FAO Programme Unit aligned with “Strengthening the capacities of Government counterparts and relevant stakeholders for increasing productivity and building climate resilient agriculture through nature-based solutions;
- Involve in preparing project inception workshop and developing a report with a potential timeline of activities;
- Undertake necessary desk review and analytical study of the available baseline information and data (quantitative and qualitative related to NBSs including production and consumption and IPM, especially focusing on the biological control works, facilities, upscaling pathways into the extension system and farmers’ field and prepare a country report on nature-based crop protection;
- Review national policies, legislations, and pesticide control systems in view of effective control of pesticides focusing NBSs plant protection to address various pests and pesticide problems through a biorational approach;
- Organize national stakeholders ‘meetings and workshops as proposed in the project document in liaison with FAO Programme Unit and NPC;
- Develop training modules and curricula for training as envisaged by the project document in coordination with NPC, LTO, and FAO programme unit;
- Develop protocols and guidelines, and deliver hands-on training on biocontrol agents rearing techniques (insect pathogenic fungi, nematodes, and virus-based cultures) to the government staff in the regional plant protection laboratories and low-cost mass production system with private sectors;
- Prepare guidelines for the registration of microbial (insect pathogenic, insect parasitic, and botanical pest control products for use);
- Prepare a field guide working with international consultant (mechanisms for upscaling pathways) on the production, storage, transport, and application of bio-pesticides in high-value crop production areas and document success stories and good practices on NBSs;
- Develop awareness of ICT materials (printed materials, newspaper articles, video/audio jingles, etc) focusing on climate-resilient agriculture (CRA) as envisaged by the project document;
- Organize different trainings and discussions as envisaged by the project document (Activity 1.3, Activity 2.1, Activity 2.3, Activity 3.2,);
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders as necessary to promote awareness of NBSs;
- Get approval from the LTO for the finalization of the work plan, protocols, guidelines, training materials, reports, and products;
- Prepare periodic reports as requested by LTO and draft terminal report at the end of the project;
- Provide any other support necessary to the project as requested by the FAO CO team and RAP.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- At least master’s degree in plant protection, agricultural entomology, plant pathology. Higher degree on the relevant subject would be an advantage.
- At least five years of work experience on the related fields.
- Working knowledge of Nepali and English.
- National of Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly as field positions is desirable;
- Excellent writing skills both in Nepali and English
- Extended experience and knowledge in the nature-based crop protection sector as well as in climate-resilient agriculture;
- Demonstrated experience in designing, collecting, and analyzing technical information and data on the nature-based crop protection;
- Experience in agricultural research, laboratory production, and field application working with a wide range of partners including international and national organizations, government counterparts, research institutions, UN organizations, and the private sector;
- Experience in the preparation, editing, and revision of technical/scientific documents and in organizing meetings and workshops.
- Demonstrated practical and technical experience in plant protection with major experience of biological control research, extension, and development.
- Ability to manage and work with a multidisciplinary and multicultural team.
- Proven ability to coordinate and work with government and community-based stakeholders, rights holders sensitively, cooperatively, and productively.
- Specialization in biopesticides in agricultural discipline and knowledge on production and application for better crop production through climate resilient protection would be of an advange.
- Ability to demonstrate the BCAs production and usages to the technical staff, farmers, and community-based organisation.
- Ability to write the reports and publications with proven documents.
- Previous experience working with UN agencies, research and government agencies in the similar area is desirable however, quality assessment report (QAR) will be assessed during the selection process.
- Selection mode will follow pre-screening, interview and written by the evaluation team.
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help or have queries, please create a one-time registration with FAO’s client support team for further assistance: https://fao.service-now.com/csp
Closure Date: 01/Nov/2023, 4:44:00 AM