Career Opportunities: Humanitarian and Disaster Risk Reduction Expert (11598)
Are you aiming to work for an organization where it is worthwhile investing your personality, your skills and your time? Are you looking for a job that is exciting and has clear goals? Welcome to Welthungerhilfe!
We are one of the largest and most respected private organisations for development cooperation and humanitarian aid in Germany. As a politically and confessionally independent organisation, our value-oriented actions are always based on ethical principles. Our vision is clear: “Zero Hunger by 2030” – If you want to become part of our global mission to end hunger around the world, we look forward to receiving your application as: Humanitarian and Disaster Risk Reduction Expert in Kathmandu
The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration of one year. There are very good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Kathmandu, Nepal. The position is paid according to Nepal paygrade.
The specific responsibilities include:
- Overall responsible for project planning, implementation, stakeholder engagement, coordination, partner and staff capacity building as well as creating synergies and leverage in the field.
- Overall responsibility of project reporting, MEAL system including quarterly and annual reports including preparation and submission of report to Social Welfare Council.
- Speed up quality project implementation, budget tracking and support partner on coordination and day to day project handling.
- Ensure that project DIP is on-track and follow-up project activities/output against the log-frame.
- Responsible for results-based program and budget monitoring with regular field visits at assigned district.
- Provide regular and reliable narrative and financial reports timely.
- Contribute to development of program implementation approaches and strategies in line with overall Welthungerhilfe Country Program.
- Ensure integration of good governance, advocacy, RBA and GESI throughout the project cycle in coordination with other thematic sectors.
- Coordinate, network and develop cooperation with Rural Municipalities/ Municipalities/ district level authorities, I/ NGOs, government institutes, private sectors, thematic networks, and other relevant stakeholders at district level.
- Ensure project implementation is in line with governmental regulations/ procedures (e.g., site selection), priorities and avoid duplication with other I/NGOs and government work..
- Proper documentation of the project activities and dissemination to the wider audience to bring changes in the society
- Collect and document best practices, learning and challenges, case studies, stories, and photos.
- Ensure transparency and accountability, complain response mechanism and inclusiveness in information management.
- Strictly ensure that WHH’s code of conduct is followed by the partner, consultant, and its staff.
- Identify, design, and assess new project ideas, develop concept notes and proposals in line with the government priorities.
- Develop position papers, lessons learned, support evidence creation and documentation.
- Identify and assess potential new humanitarian partners.
- Prepare high quality reports/documentation for WHH and donor agencies ensuring all requirements.
- Coordinate with federal, provincial, and local governmental stakeholders, contribute to GoN strategies/ policies and maintains active, transparent, and accountable positive relations.
- Attend and represent WHH at relevant meetings, networks, thematic working groups, clusters etc. and actively contribute as agreed with the Country Director
- Strengthen relations with national/regional /global networks, academic and research institutes.
- Analyze and communicate complex information and humanitarian issues to a wide audience.
- Decision-making and judgement based on technical and management experience.
- Any other duties assigned by the Country Director
Required qualification and experience:
- Nepali citizen having master’s degree in Humanitarian Action/Disaster Risk Reduction or related field.
- At least 5 years of similar experience on humanitarian action, disaster risk reduction, anticipatory action
- Sound understanding and knowledge on Core Humanitarian Standards, principles % value, Grand Bargain, Triple Nexus, LRRD etc.
- Excellent in written and spoken English and Nepali languages.
- Excellent report writing, case study formulation, and inter-personal communication skills.
- Excellent coordination and facilitation skills
- Creative, flexible, and pro-active, willingness to learn and to share knowledge.
- Proven ability to work creatively, innovatively, and effectively with limited direct supervision.
- Willingness to work in the field, with overnight stays (village level)
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, and Power point) and web-based communications systems/ technologies.
Desired qualification and experience:
- Knowledge and experience of digital-based (smart-phone) based data collection and analysis.
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to work well under pressure and in response to changing needs.
- Political and cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Good understanding on gender and social inclusion related issues.
- Able to take initiative, self-motivated/independently working
- Organized personality
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale.
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by November 5, 2023. Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.