Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Analyst
Job Identification: 15663
Locations: Kathmandu, Nepal
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area: Effectiveness
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration: 1 Year
Education & Work Experience: Master’s Degree
Other Criteria: Bachelor’s Degree with 2 years of experience
Required Languages: English and Nepali
Vacancy Timeline: 2 Weeks
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Nepal’s Constitution has established food security, the right to food, and food sovereignty as fundamental rights, with the government entrusted to uphold them. However, Nepal ranks 73 out of 117 food-importing nations in the 2022 Global Hunger Report, with approximately 45 out of 77 districts facing food insufficiency. To address this challenge and align with Sustainable Development Goals, UNDP will implement the “Renewable Energy for Resilient Agri-Food Systems (RERAS)” in 11 local governments across Sudurpashchim, Karnali, and Bagmati provinces to enhance agriculture productivity and food security by leveraging affordable energy solutions, empowering local farmers through modern technology, and partnering with government bodies and national organizations with the support from the Royal Norwegian Embassy.
The project aims to contribute to the “improved food and nutrition security of the communities in targeted municipalities of Sudur Paschim and Karnali provinces by promoting indigenous crop varieties through mechanization of agriculture using renewable energy-based technology.” The project will support establishing dedicated funds at local level to support the farmers for use of modern technology in production and processing. The project will work with local and provincial governments, cooperatives, traders, and service providers to enhance their knowledge on use of modern technology for food production and sustainable food system management through capacity building and provisions for climate information, policies, finance, and farm research. Extensive use of energy-based and climate smart technology will help reduce the cost of production and increase local food supply. This will also support economic empowerment of women and marginalized groups through job creation and contribute to environment.
In the context of the ‘Renewable Energy for Resilient Agri-Food Systems (RERAS), UNDP is looking to recruit a full-time, dedicated, experienced and competent Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Analyst (MEL) for the RERAS Project to ensure that project milestones are delivered in a timely and cost- effective manner that fulfils donor’s expectations. S/he will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of monitoring, communication and reporting of project interventions in 3 provinces and 12 municipalities.
The incumbent will report to the Senior Coordination / Project Specialist.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Carry Out Project Monitoring, Evaluation, And Reporting Responsibilities
- Support in designing, monitoring, evaluation and data management tools and technique of RERAS project in consultation with donor, government, consortium partners and other key stakeholders
- Prepare M&E framework/ plan of the project in coordination with project’s Senior Project Coordinator and team that align with outcome/output-level indicators and data collection plans and ensure its timely and effective implementation.
- Conduct routine follow-ups of project M&E plans to ensure continued feasibility and evaluability of project results, working with relevant colleagues to adjust and revise plans as necessary.
- Regularly participate in field visits and joint monitoring missions to project implementation sites, to ensure their implementation and initiate taking necessary preparatory actions for course corrections as needful in liaison with relevant parties, and preparing detailed mission reports after each visit
- Prepare quality project reports-quarterly, bi-annual and annual following UNDP’s established procedures and share with Norwegian, Government, line agencies and other partners.
- Ensure development of high-quality knowledge products and communication materials in close coordination with communication information management and documentation officer and UNDP communication team
- Support to collect project-level data, including overseeing baseline, midterm and end-line surveys, ongoing project monitoring, and other data collection activities
- Explore and piloting community-based monitoring (CBM) systems
- Develop mechanisms to aggregate, analyze, disaggregated data and communicate project data from across the stakeholders, including through data visualizations and reports.
- Provide information to relevant team members stakeholders to ensure M&E findings are regularly discussed and fed into program decision making processes.
- Co-facilitate and support M&E related training and capacity building for project staff.
- Oversee all project-level evaluations for RERAS project
- Provide oversight and guidance to all phases of independent baseline, midterm, and final evaluation processes, including drafting terms of reference, recruiting consultants, developing research methodologies and questionnaires, coordinating field missions, and reviewing final reports
- Support in dissemination of key findings and recommendations from evaluations and support fund recipients to draft management responses
- Ensure regular updates and maintain consistency of project disaggregated data/information in line with project M&E framework.
Ensure effective capacity building and knowledge sharing
- Responsible for regular updates RERAS project website, official Facebook page, quarterly newsletter in coordination with UNDP communication team
- Prepare and organize public awareness raising activities in regard to energy, food and nutrition security.
- Support in providing training and workshops to project staffs, stakeholders and implementing partners on best practices in M&E, project reporting, and communications prepare summaries and briefs on key knowledge products to enhance the dissemination of lessons learned and best practices
- Prepare and finalization of technical and progress reports, briefs and other documents and ensure their quality
- Ensure documentation of project results and achievements and their dissemination at province and municipal levels in coordination with provincial coordinators
- Prepare and operate project database system for effective and efficient data collection and analysis, documenting challenges and lessons learnt, preparing project reports, news, human stories and organizing events
- Prepare thematic briefs on key priority areas of the project based on information progress reports, research studies, and final evaluations
- Generate knowledge management products on M&E such as handbooks, toolkits for indicators, lessons learnt reports and others.
- Document case stories and best practices for learning and sharing among stakeholders.
- Work closely with project staffs and provide support, when necessary, on topics related to M&E
Carry out Gender Equality and Social Inclusion responsibility of the project
- Set out monitoring indicators from GESI perspective and ensure the field date are well captured following the indicators.
- Ensure project approaches and monitoring and reporting system reflect on gender and social inclusion results; and project team, build capacities for GESI analysis through tailored support provided in coordination with UNDP GESI unit.
- Ensure meaningful participation of women, dalit, janajati and people with disability in all stage of project cycle.
- Conduct Fund flow analysis form gender perspective in coordination with Senior Coordination/Project Specialist and AFO.
- Ensure integration of GESI aspects in all stages of the project in coordination with GESI Focal Person of UNDP and consortium partners.
- Provide advice and guidance on strategic and policy issues to strengthen gender & social inclusion initiatives during planning and implementation.
- Prepare GESI report with detailed analysis
Provide technical guidance and support to the project team:
- Organize project inception and review workshops to build common understanding about project outcomes, implementation modality, challenges, and deliverables in collaboration with RERAS and other partners.
- Provide technical guidance to project team, in liaison with the government officials and other stakeholders, in preparation of detailed project workplan and budget, development of project implementation strategy and action plan, and engagement of project staff at community levels.
- Guide the field team based in the cluster and municipality to execute planned activities in a timely and efficient manner.
- Conduct regular meetings and follow ups with project team to take stock of implementation and reflect cross-cutting issues such as vulnerability, gender, social inclusion, human rights, etc. in project result framework.
- Engage in policy advocacy to enhance energy-food and nutrition security nexus.
- Provide quality inputs and feedback to the work done at provincial and municipal levels and ensure coherence with project objectives, plans and budgets.
The incumbent performs other duties within their functional profile as deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the Office and the Organization
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline.
- Think Innovatively:LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements.
- Learn Continuously:LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback.
- Adapt with Agility:LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident.
- Engage and Partner:LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
- Knowledge Generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context or responsive to a stated need.
- Working with Evidence and Data: Ability to inspect, cleanse, transform and model sata with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions and supporting decision- making.
- Results-based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results.
- Risk Management: Ability to identify and organize action around mitigating and proactively managing risks.
2030 Agenda: Engagement and Effectiveness
- Effectiveness: Project Quality Assurance; RBM standards and practices for programming.
2023 Agenda: People
- Gender: Gender and Social Inclusion Mainstreaming.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Social Sciences, Economics or Management, Mass Communication, Gender Study or any relevant fields is required . or
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s degree) in the areas mentioned above in combination with 2 additional years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of Master´s degree
- Up to 2-years experience (with masters degree) or minimum of 2 years (with bachelors degree) of working in the area of monitoring and evaluation
- Proven experience with results-based planning, designing and implementation of M&E systems, M&E methods and approaches and data/information collection, analysis and reporting is desired.
- Practical knowledge and experience in gathering GESI disaggregated data and translating those data into evidence for reporting is an asset.
- Demonstrated experience and good understanding of gender equality social inclusion issues particularly in energy-food and nutrition sector is desired.
- Hands on experience in date management and analysis with mastering in operating data management software; SPSS, Strata, Power BI etc. is an advantage.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in preparing quality reports and other knowledge products is an asset
- Experience of working in UN and/or international agencies will be preferable.
- Demonstrated experience in integrating GESI perspective at all stage of project cycle is preferred.
- Proven experience good knowledge of computer applications, especially MS Office Good understanding of other application for data management and project monitoring, computer applications especially MS Office, Power Business Intelligence (PBI), SPSS, other application for data management and project monitoring.
- Fluency in English and Nepali
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Apply Before: 01/30/2024, 11:59 PM