Website International IDEA
Finance and Administrative Assistant
x4 – Nepal (Madesh, Lumbini, Karnali, Kathmandu)
Since 2004, International IDEA has supported three main areas of the democratic process in Nepal: transition to peace and to a democratic system, constitution building and electoral processes. During the period 2004-2015, International IDEA’s main partners included the two Constituent Assemblies, their Legislature Parliaments and Secretariats, the Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development and the Election Commission of Nepal.
In 2015, once the new Constitution was promulgated and Nepal became a Federal Republic with three spheres of government – federal, provincial and local – International IDEA’s work shifted towards supporting the implementation of key constitutional provisions, supporting the newly introduced federal system by strengthening local government system through deliberative political decision-making processes, in partnership with the Ministry of Federal Affairs and General Administration (MOFAGA) and the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID).
Coherence is a joint programme co-created by the MOFAGA, FCDO/BEK and International IDEA, with the overall aim of promoting political coherence within the Nepali system, focused on local and provincial government systems.
In the transition phase of Coherence (July 2023 – July 2024), the programme under component 4- Demand-led support to BEK change processes, portfolio realignment and problem-solving will facilitate FCDO’s political engagement with the provinces to support FCDO approach to thinking and working politically through the establishment of a Provincial Engagement Facility (PEF) in Karnali, Madesh and Lumbini. The PEF will be guided by the Constitution of Nepal, Provincial “Givens” and the FCDO/BEK Provincial Engagement Strategy. The Facility will provide administrative and logistical support during FCDO high level visits as well as regular visits of the respective FCDO programme team. The PEF will engage closely with the Office of the Chief Minister and Council of Ministers (OCMCM), the Provincial Planning Commission, and other relevant stakeholders in respective provinces. It will also ensure fortnight/bi-weekly specific provincial reporting, and monthly provincial context analysis regarding FCDO priority programmes in the provinces and assist in learning and sharing across various FCDO programmes as well as within the respective province by facilitating periodic update of 5Ws and quarterly learning and sharing sessions.
The Finance and Administrative Assistant provides finance and administrative support, assists with preparing documents including for procurements, and maintains records and files.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides administrative and logistical support, co-ordinates events, assists with the preparation of documents and maintains records and files.
- Ensures compliance with policies and regulations of International IDEA, and FCDO
- Handles and manages petty cash.
- Contributes to the preparation of Terms of Reference and other contractual documents for consultants and service providers, ensuring all supporting documentation is in line with relevant policies and procedures.
- Initiates and processes programme related procurements (Procurement of services, goods, events & consultants) in line with International IDEA policies and procedures.
- Processes invoices, programme advance requests, programme expenditure reports, utilities, etc. and prepares payment requests in an efficient and timely manner.
- Prepares documents and files for project and institutional audits as required.
- Ensures contracts and project budgets are registered in the ERP, maintains files and archives and keeps accurate records of financial and contractual actions.
- Adds considerable value to team-based activities in his/her unit and is likely to act as an informal resource for colleagues; collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required.
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines.
- Can be expected to travel to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s Core Values: Respect, Integrity, and Professionalism.
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Finance and Administrative Manager
Education and Experience
- High school diploma and preferably university degree in business administration, finance, accounting, or other relevant discipline
- A minimum of two (2) years of professional experience of working on finance and accounting administration, procedures, and systems in the context of development, humanitarian, and civil society organizations etc.
- Proven experience of working in diverse teams at the Provincial and/or Local Government level is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience of providing logistic support to high-profile visits from embassies, development partners, and government line agencies preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office package (including MS Work, Excel, Project and PowerPoint) and the Internet is required; Knowledge of ERP systems (particularly Unit4) is desirable.
- Fluent in written and oral English and Nepali is required. Knowledge of other regional languages such as Maithili and/or Bhojpuri is an asset.
Terms of Contract:
- Local Post.
- Fixed term appointment until 31 July 2024
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to the relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Nepal for the duration of the contract. International IDEA is not able to support work permit applications.
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 23:59 (CEST) 31 October 2023.
- Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a written test assessment and up to two (2) interviews.
- Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the process will be contacted once all applications have been carefully reviewed.
- All candidates will be notified on the status of their application via email once the process has been finalized.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.