Website Abt Associates
Deputy Chief of Party/ Technical Lead – Nepal Agriculture Transformation
The World at Abt
Solving the world’s most pressing issues and improving the quality of life for people worldwide is what we do every day at Abt Associates. Creating a more equitable world is no small task, but we are driven by big challenges.
We are a team of 3,000+ people in over 50 countries working in unison and focused on the bigger picture. Only by sharing our commitment, energy, and innovation do we affect change and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We welcome diverse ideas, backgrounds, and viewpoints – joining Abt means access to exceptional thinkers at the top of their game.
To thrive at Abt is to embrace flexibility and collaboration. Our open culture allows you to balance your work and personal life as needed to optimize personal well-being. Creating a more equitable world starts from within – we look after people around the world, and we’ll do the same for you.
Ready to embrace rewarding and meaningful work? Now’s your chance.
Abt Associates seeks a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP)/Technical Lead for Agricultural Competitiveness to support the anticipated 5-year USAID-funded Agriculture Transformation activity. The purpose of the activity is to catalyze a transformation in Nepal’s agricultural sector and lay the foundation for broad-based and inclusive economic growth. The objectives are expected to cover:
- Increased agricultural productivity and competitiveness;
- An improved policy environment;
- Climate and economic resilience for women, youth, and marginalized communities;
- Strengthened agricultural research institutions and extension systems.
The activity will focus on fine rice, industrial maize, lentils, high-value vegetables, and goat value chains and will focus implementation in selected districts in four provinces: Bagmati, Lumbini, Karnali, and Sudurpaschim.
As the DCOP/Technical Lead you will be responsible for assisting the Chief of Party (COP) in developing and refining the project’s technical approach, building a high-performing team, and overseeing day-to-day implementation of project activities. The position will be based in Kathmandu, Nepal and is contingent upon project award.
- Provide managerial and operational support to the COP, assisting in areas including work planning, performance management, continuous learning, and strategic communications. This includes working closely with Abt’s home office, COP and project leads to develop work plans and monitor activity timelines.
- Oversee the work of one or more project components, including Objective 1 (agricultural competitiveness).
- Ensure the technical team focuses on achieving overall project objectives, annual work plan and targets, and key ad hoc activities.
- Support reporting, update and implementation of the technical strategies, identifying technical assistance needs, and mobilizing required technical resources and staff.
- Responsible for enhancing complementarity of project efforts, including by fostering information sharing and collaboration among team members.
- Lead and oversee all technical assistance, including those delivered by subcontractors and grantees, across the priority technical areas.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the Activity Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan (AMELP)
- Support a culture of learning and adaptive management by contributing to data analysis and applying key learnings to adapt program activities as appropriate.
- Together with the COP, ensure that the project complies with USAID rules and regulations and that activities meet program targets.
- With the COP, work closely and maintain positive relationships with USAID officials, implementing partners, regional organizations, and other stakeholders in support of activity goals.
- Provide guidance and training to managers and staff to achieve activity objectives and intermediate results.
What We Value
- Bachelor’s degree in business, agriculture, agribusiness, economic growth, international development, or related field required; master’s degree highly desirable
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomacy, and leadership skills, including the ability to manage high-level relationships and motivate subordinates
- Minimum of 8 years progressively responsible experience in project management and implementation, with at least 3 years in a senior supervisory capacity overseeing projects or initiatives similar in size and scope
- USAID project management experience at senior management level highly preferred
- Demonstrated technical expertise in a combination of the following: agricultural development and market systems development; enabling environment for private sector investment in agriculture; equitable access to market systems for women, youth, and marginalized communities; climate and economic resilience; and agricultural research and extension systems
- Demonstrated experience in adaptive management and program design
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with U.S. and foreign government counterparts
- Knowledge of Nepal’s agricultural markets and the obstacles inhibiting competitiveness, resilience
- Knowledge of inclusion of marginalized populations (highly preferred)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Nepali required
- Nepali nationals are encouraged to apply
What We Offer
We foster an environment where you can Thrive Your Way. Our innovative total rewards programs are designed to help balance your work and personal life. The approach toward your wellbeing centers around comprehensive benefits, flexible schedules, and professional development.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
Job Identification: 104005
Job Category: Program Delivery
Apply Before: 12/31/2023, 04:37 PM
Job Schedule: Full time
Locations: Abt Associates, Kathmandu, NP
To apply for this job please visit egpy.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com.