Website Plan International Nepal
Number of Vacant Position:1
Functional Area: Influencing, Campaigns and Communications
Reports to: Director of Influencing, Campaigns and Communications
Location: Country Office, Kathmandu
Travel required: 25%
Type: Fixed-term for 2 years based in Country Office; Open to all applicants
ABOUT PLAN INTERNATIONAL
Plan International is a development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. Plan International works in over 75 countries with its partners, programme participants young people, supporter to advance children’s rights and equality for girls with an ambition to see All Girls Standing Strong Creating Global Change. Plan’s programmes are supported by a core of defined values, including transparency and accountability, team collaboration, inclusion and integration, as well as, the overall desire to empower girls and young women as legacy.
Plan International has been working in 50 districts in Nepal since its inception in 1978.It has played an important role in advocating for children’s rights and gender equality in Nepal. Through its various initiatives, it empowers marginalized children, their families and communities to access their rights to health, education, economic security and protection. By addressing the unique challenges faced by girls and working towards their advancement, Plan International Nepal contributes to building a more equitable and inclusive society for all.
Plan international Nepal seeks candidates who practice feminist leadership, promote diversity, actively seek innovative solutions for problems, courageously and respectfully share their opinions and ideas, break down barriers and engender cross-department collaboration, practice active listening, maintain confidentiality, build trust and are passionate about children’s rights and equality for girls.
Communications Manager will deliver high impact communications that reflect the organisation’s approaches, principles and values as a leading child’s rights agency, inspiring confidence across a range of internal and external audiences.
S/he will provide strategic leadership and directions for all communications objectives of Plan International Nepal’s Country Strategy, and strategic support across the organization including external and internal messaging, ensuring that Plan’s credibility, visibility and brand recognition remain high with key stakeholders.
S/he will lead the production and dissemination of high-quality communication materials for a variety of audiences, designing materials that are pitched at the relevant level for the audience and will identify and develop relationships with collaborators and influencers so as to expand Plan’s influencing ambitions.
S/he will develop and lead the Country Office’s digital media presence by developing and releasing effective social media communications across all important platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and internal platforms, ensuring that all staff are well-versed in social media and use it effectively and appropriately to promote girls’ rights and Plan’s work.
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
[This section provides a summary of the size and authority of the post. It covers the size of the budget held,
the numbers of direct reports, other key stakeholders who may depend on it, the type of communication required, the external representation involved and the reach of the role.]
Reports to: Director of Influencing, Campaigns and Communications
Budget Accountability: N/A
Number of direct reports: None, but this might change over a period of time
- Creates a strategic plan and implements it, meeting deadlines and driving for impact and results.
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions and responds positively to critical feedback;
- Takes risk in the active pursuit of creativity and innovation;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling Plan International’s Feminist Leadership principles;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of Plan International Nepal as elucidated in the Country Strategy.
- Self-starter, strategic thinker orientated towards finding solutions and communicating it effectively;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Promotes team inclusion, integration and collaboration.
- Work closely with the Director of Influencing, Campaigns and Communication to lead on the development and implementation of integrated communications strategy to widen and deepen our engagement with public, private sector, media and other key stakeholders to create real change for children, especially girls.
- Increase Plan International’s visibility and credibility at various levels, highlighting the programme through various means of communications tools to raise Plan International’s profile at country level and globally through Plan International Global Hub/Regional Hub;
- Direct and implement processes (including the identification of media and public policy issues that can be leveraged to support Plan’s work and implement plans to develop them) to maximise outreach of all the materials developed by the communication team to increase visibility and support for Plan International Nepal
- Lead, develop and oversee the Country Office’s digital media presence on identified and adequate social platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and on internal platforms such as Workplace,
- Provide capacity development support in communications and media to field staff and partners to ensure sufficient quantity and quality of photos and videos that comply to donor’s standards
- Provide supplemental capacity development at the time of disaster/emergencies/crisis time addressing any reputational risk;
- Support Influencing, Campaigns and Communications Director to oversee all branding compliances, including the development and implementation of Plan’s editorial policy for all printed and electronic publications;
- Work closely with Country Management Team to develop crisis communication protocols and strategies to effectively manage and respond to potential communication challenges or negative publicity.
- Proactively lead communication narratives in various platforms, Donor Start Up meetings, Review Reflections, Inter-departmental meetings, NMT, Monday Morning meetings, Social Audits, Public hearing etc.
- Work with the campaign team to generate media coverage and public attention for campaigns. Develop media strategies, press releases, and media pitches to secure coverage in relevant outlets.
- Working with the campaign team develop compelling campaign messages and materials that resonate with target audiences. This includes developing written content, visual assets, videos, and other materials to effectively communicate campaign goals and impact.
- Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, including donors, partner organizations, community leaders, and government agencies. Engage with these stakeholders to garner support for campaigns and ensure effective collaboration.
- Develop detailed campaign communication plans with Campaign Specialist, including timelines and coordinate with cross-functional teams to execute campaigns effectively, ensuring that all elements of the campaign are delivered on time
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
[This section details the skills, knowledge and expertise the post holder will be required to demonstrate in
doing the job well. This should include clear levels of technical expertise and skills that support our work at national, international, and global level.]
Education qualification and experience
- Master’s Degree in Mass Communication and Media with at least 5 -7 years of experience in communication or public relations roles, preferably in an international development or non-profit context. This experience might include roles in strategic communication planning, media relations, content creation, social media management, and other.
- Good understanding and knowledge of development communications, media environment and practice in Nepal, trend, challenges and opportunities;
- Experience in engaging with youth especially designing and disseminating youth targeted communications;
- Excellent written and oral skills in English and Nepali with the ability to communicate with a range of audiences;
- Experience in dealing with a range of stakeholders; partners, media, production teams for reaching out development message to the various audiences;
- Good understanding of child rights programming, gender transformative and inclusive strategies;
- Ability to develop and execute strategic communication plans that align with Plan International’s goals and target audiences. This involves crafting messages and narratives that resonate with various stakeholders.
- Contextual: Ability to understand the context that Plan International is working in Nepal and work with programme colleagues, partners and programme participants to develop communications plans and activities around it;
- Knowledge of trends in digital and social media marketing. Familiarity with digital communication platforms, social media channels, and tools for creating and scheduling content;
- Media management: Proficiency in managing relationships with media outlets, journalists, and influencers. This includes pitching stories, coordinating interviews, and managing press releases.
- Sectorial: Informed about the civil society landscape of Nepal and knowledge about the likeminded organizations engagement in the sector.
- Youth engagements: understanding of the various trends that youths are attracted towards and crafting communications plans to entice them.
- Listening: Ability to listen to program staff, partners, programme participants in a sensitive and participatory to bring out compelling communications products.
- Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to operate effectively under challenging circumstances. Willing to travel up to 30% of time.
- People Skills: Ability to provide strategic guidance to program teams and partners in Communication related areas;
- Communication Skills: Well developed written and oral communication skills in English and Nepali. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Integrity: Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to Plan International’s core values;
- Interpersonal: empathetically interact, communicate, and collaborate with others and is an active listener and possesses emotional intelligence.
- Multimedia Skills: Proficiency in working with various forms of media, including photography, videography, and graphic design.
- Strategic Communication Skills: Crafting messages and narratives that resonate with wide range of stakeholders.
PLAN INTERNATIONAL’S VALUES IN PRACTICE
We are open and accountable
- Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
- Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
- Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
- Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
- Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people.
We strive for lasting impact
- Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
- Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
- Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
- Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
- Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
- Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
- Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
- Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
- We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
- We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
- We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
- This position is based in Country Office, with travel to regional offices and field as necessary.
LEVEL OF CONTACT WITH CHILDREN
- Medium Level: Medium interaction with children.
“Say Yes ! To Keeping Children and Young people safe and Protected”
Application Deadline: Thursday, 28th September 2023
Source: Kantipur Dainik, 15 September, 2023