Website Plan International Nepal
Number of Vacant Position: 1
Job Level: None Specified
Job Category: Environment, Climate, Energy, Water, Sanitation
Summary of Position
Title: WASH Specialist
Functional Area: Program _ WASH and Resilience
Reports to: WASH SDG – Project Manger
Location: Country office
Travel required: Frequently
Type: Fixed term agreement until June 2023 based in Country Office, Lalitpur
ABOUT PLAN INTERNATIONAL
Plan International is a development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We strive for a just world, working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners in over 75 countries. Our programs are underpinned by a core of defined values, including transparency and accountability, team collaboration, inclusion and integration, as well as the overall ambition to empower girls and young women as legacy.
Plan International has been working in Nepal since 1978 and developed a strong reputation as a respected development and humanitarian actor helping marginalised children, their families and communities to access their rights to health, education, economic security and protection. Through the support of local partners, Plan International works in 24 districts in Nepal.
Plan International Nepal has a vision for 2030 as “an inclusive, just and safe society where all girls and young women enjoy their rights and live in freedom”. This is coupled with the ambition of taking action so that 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive as “Girls and young women in all of their diversity reach their full potential as equal and active citizens” by 2023. The country strategy is put into action through the implementation of three interrelated program areas defined as follows:
LEARN: the “Education and Skills and Opportunities for Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship (SOYEE)” program aims to assist vulnerable and excluded girls and young women in adapting and thriving in a changing climate;
LEAD AND DECIDE: the “Youth as Active Drivers of Change and Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR)” program aims to empower girls and young women in leading change, having control over their bodies and making informed decisions; and
THRIVE: the “Early Childhood Development (ECD), Child Protection and Child Poverty” program enhances vulnerable and excluded children, especially girls, to be valued and cared for without discrimination, fear and any forms of violence.
Plan international Nepal seeks candidates who practice feminist leadership, promote diversity, actively seek innovative solutions for problems, courageously and respectfully share their opinions and ideas, break down barriers and engender cross-department collaboration, practice active listening, maintain confidentiality, build trust and are passionate about children’s rights and equality for girls.
Providing guidance and technical support to area office and partner in planning, designing, budgeting, implementing and monitoring the 3 core strategies and activities of the project:
- Increasing demand for improved WASH facilities and practices,
- Increased availability of affordable and appropriate WASH products and services and
- Strengthen WASH governance and institutional framework field level Programme for enhancing gender transformative WASH, resilience of women, girls, children and communities.
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
Maintain smooth coordination and networking with gender, M&E and other relevant sector lead at country office and regional team an including related stakeholders at field level.
Planning and implementation of project deliverables at all levels including partners capacity development
Support project team at ROs and partner NGOs for monitoring and assessments of project interventions by ensuring their proper implementation at the field level.
Review monthly, quarterly and prepare draft annual progress reports on project interventions by compiling and analysing the reports received from ROs
Support project team at ROs for the project learning documentation and knowledge management (case stories, good practices etc.)
Technical oversees in water scheme and other construction at field.
No any financial authority is essential for the position as per the organization rules
Ensure quality WASH Programme and facilitate its implementation
- Provide technical backstopping to WASH Program Coordinators at ROs/ partners and NGO partners, relevant government line agencies, municipality, rural municipality and ward-based WASH Coordination Committees (D/M/V/W WASH CCs), to ensure quality planning, good governance, accountability, implementation and monitoring of project activities in line with the WASH SDG programme and government’s relevant policies, plans and guidelines
- Ensure implementation of project interventions mainly SBCC activity for total sanitation/hygiene promotion related activities through community awareness, child to child approach and behaviour change communication in the communities and schools, adhering to Plan International Nepal’s CS, and government’s Sanitation and Hygiene Master Plan- 2011.
- Facilitate for mainstreaming of gender equality and social inclusion, and good governance into WASH interventions.
- Ensure child, gender, disability and environment friendliness of WASH facilities in the school, health facility, communities and institutions as per relevant norms, policies and practices including menstrual hygiene management in different institutions.
- Incorporate WASH related learning and recommendations from research, monitoring and evaluations for future planning and implementation.
- Assist Project Manager for representing Plan International Nepal in relevant national, and district level networks, committees, alliances and organizations related to WASH.
- Ensure Plan’s child protection policy and guidelines, and gender policy are adhered in project interventions.
- SBCC data monitoring in WASH SDG SBCC App SWACHHA and update system as per requirement in coordination with ICT , field and service provider.
- Monitoring of school WASH interventions and facilitate for star level declaration process.
- Involve and share the learning sharing from field within and outside the organization
Project Management Support
- Develop project activities, DIP, activities definition and sequencing aligning with M&E framework/indicators
- Participate in need identification, participatory assessment gender, vulnerability and resilience and evaluation and its strategy development and activity planning for the project.
- Provide training to the relevant project and partner NGO staff at Partners/ ROs on WASH related implementation approach, strategies and management based on the project proposal, and on relevant polices and guidelines.
- Review and input field reports with the programme & government counterparts on quarterly basis to track progress and prepare project progress reports.
- Identify bottlenecks and challenges in the project implementation and develop project strategies and plans for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the project.
- Support project team at field to prepare DIP, work breakdown structure, work schedule, and to monitor and control risk.
- Support to prepare project annual report, project learning documentation and knowledge management (Case stories and best practices)
Development and review of project plans and proposals
- Engage in developing the project tools and ensure active participation of women, girls and children and excluded groups in the project activities and also ensure PMD Pro approach, gender equality and social inclusion in all aspects of the project interventions.
- Technical support to develop and review municipality level WASH plan, qualitative reporting and ensure NWASH data quality with GESI integration.
- Facilitate capacity building events NWASH onsite coaching to local government focal person, WASH system strengthening and other WASH sector development to partners and municipality.
- Facilities WASH plan prioritization workshop in coordination with partner organization and municipalities.
- Monitor the field level project activities and progress through visits to the districts, communities and households for quality and timely deliveries of planned activities, and by participating in review/reflection meetings, workshops.
- Review project documents and progress reports, and support project team at field for timely implementation and completion of project activities as per planning.
- Document and share best practices and learning, and success and case stories for shared learning inside and outside the organization.
- Facilitate and support to WASH Programme Coordinators and NGOs staff at field for routine monitoring of project activities at the district and community level.
- Develop and ensure to carry out innovations, research, monitoring and evaluations of project interventions to ensure alignment with project objectives.
Facilitate capacity building and coordination
- Capacitate to project and partners staffs in preparing, training/orientation packages, training manuals, IEC materials and other resource materials.
- Assess capacity of relevant stakeholders in WASH and prepare capacity development plan to enhance their skills and knowledge.
- Facilitate relevant national, provincial, district, municipality and rural municipality level training/orientation for partners and other stakeholders wherever necessary, and get involved in the community capacity building activities through partners.
- Facilitate project team and partner staff in developing advocacy plan, sustainability and resource leverage in WASH program from local government and seek collaboration with like-minded organization and right holders for evidence-based advocacy on WASH issues.
- Provide support to partners on project sustainability interventions such as Water Safety Plan (WSP), WASH monitoring system establishment, municipal water quality guideline, Water Supply system Operation and maintenance guideline etc.
- Work in close coordination with GESI specialist to ensure gender and social inclusion issues in WASH plan and facilitate to analysis and link up gender and social inclusion issues in the community through Gender WASH Monitoring Tool (GWMT).
- Coordination and collaboration with government agencies especially Ministry of Water Supply (MOW) and Department of Water Supply and Sewerage Management (DWSSM) in federal level, province and municipalities to develop quality WASH plan.
Undertake Corporate Responsibility
- Respect organisational values and comply with all Plan International Nepal and Corporate Code of Conduct, Policies and Standards.
- Maintain confidentiality of all critical and sensitive information of the organisation.
- Undertake any assigned responsibility when delegated.
Dealing with Complexity & Problems:
- Works in multi-cultural environment, collaborating with multi country consortium members and Plan’s programme team.
- High level of coordination and negotiation with external stakeholders including government officials at national and filed level as well as local NGOs.
- Leads & facilitate in WASH related intervention at variable environment through influence rather than authority.
- Advise WASH responses in emergencies and/or post-conflict situations as necessary
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
Contact and communication and relationship with internal and external is required for the position. Internally she/ he will be having high level of relationship with Project manager, M&ER specialist, GESI specialist WASH program coordinator and Regional manager and Finance coordinator etc
Externally she/she will have high and frequent relationship with both sub program NGOs team, medium level of relation with R/M/W WASHCC, local level stakeholders during the implementation.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Educational Qualifications and work experience
- Master’s degree in social science, community development or development studies or water and sanitation/environmental/engineering or relevant discipline, with substantial training in NWASH and worked experiences in NWASH system.
- Minimum 5 years of work experience in the area of and rural water, sanitation and hygiene is desired for this position.
- INGO work experience preferred.
- Excellent knowledge and experience on social aspect of WASH, behavioural change communication activity of WASH, total sanitation (TS) approach, Mensural Hygiene management, Schools, HF and public WASH facility and child to child approach and hygiene promotion through behaviour change communication.
- Principles, policies, guidelines and practices of WASH sector.
- Knowledge on project monitoring, data analysis and report writing.
- Operational planning & execution
- Analysis & reasoning
- Managing, motivating and coaching people
- Managing work relationships ( internal/external)
- Communicating, one to one, in groups both in writing, verbally, presentations and reports, in English, Nepali and relevant local languages.
- Facilitation, negotiation and networking
- Persuasion and ability to influence
- Good in computer and Excel sheet work
- Ability to solve problems, handle setbacks and pressure
- Ability to use basic office electronic equipment & computer applications
- Ability to ride two-wheeler in remote and mountainous would be preferred.
- Demonstrate high degree of professionalism and integrity
- Respect for the voices of women, children, Dalits and disabled people. Sensitive towards needs of girls and young women.
- Commitment to social change
- Comfortable in staying with the community
- Mutual respect and dignity
- Positive and open minded
- Tactfulness and discretion
- Gender and child sensitive
- Respect for diversity and multicultural environment
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Learning and result oriented
- Integrity and trustworthy
- Adherence to Plan’s seven practice standards
- Excellent knowledge and experience on social aspect of WASH, behavioural change communication activity of WASH, community led total sanitation (CLTS) approach, Mensural Hygiene management, Schools, HF and public WASH facility and child to child approach and hygiene promotion through behaviour change communication.
- Principles, policies, guidelines and practices of WASH sector and government policies and guideline.
- Knowledge on project monitoring, data analysis and report writing.
- Child protection policy and other policies related to children’s
PLAN INTERNATIONAL’S VALUES IN PRACTICE
We are open and accountable
- Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
- Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
- Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
- Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
- Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
- Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
- Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
- Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
- Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
- Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
- Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
- Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
- Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
- We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
- We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
- We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
This position is based on the Country office but frequent travel is necessary to do the partners capacity development, monitoring of the project activity at field in Sunsari and Sindhuli.
LEVEL OF CONTACT WITH CHILDREN
Mid contact: Occasional interaction with children
Say Yes ! To Keeping Children and Young people safe and Protected.
Application Deadline: Thursday, 21st July 2022
Source: Kantipur Daily, 8 July 2022