Website UN Women
Driver, 1 Position
Location: Kathmandu, NEPAL
Additional Category: Management
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Post Level: SB-2
Languages Required: English
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 16-Oct-2023
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women focuses on strengthening women’s voice, agency, and leadership across sectors to advance women’s rights, provide space for women’s meaningful participation, and contribute to tangible differences in their lives. The UN Women Nepal’s Strategic Note (SN) for the period 2023-2027 lays out the agency’s unique role and comparative advantage in supporting national stakeholders in advancing gender equality and the empowerment of women in line with internationally agreed normative standards. The SN is aligned with and contributes to Nepal’s national priorities and commitments as described in the Nepal Constitution 2015 and the Fifteenth Periodic Plan, the needs of women’s organizations, and the UNSDCF with a commitment of leaving no one behind.
The Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to the UN Women personnel and other UN officials and visitors ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, and excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, confidentiality, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Reporting to the Programme Assistant, the Driver can be also required to provide driving services to the operations and programme staff in the Office, consultants and experts and UN staff on mission. The Driver will provide basic administrative and clerical support to the UN Women Nepal Country Office (NCO).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide reliable and secure driving services
- Drive office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel;
- Deliver and collect mail, documents and other items to Government – Offices/Embassies/Commercial Establishments/ UN Offices;
- Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport, including visa and customs formalities arrangements when required;
- Verify that all passengers wear seatbelts at all times in the vehicle;
- Ensure all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents;
- Adhere to relevant job specific guidelines and policies of UN Women such as but not limited to the vehicle management policy;
- Ensure vehicle comply with the Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS).
Provide proper use of vehicle
- Ensure cost-saving by driving responsibly;
- Maintain daily vehicle logs, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil change, servicing, greasing, repairs;
- Provide inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
Provide day to day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Ensure that the official vehicle is kept clean and is always in good working condition;
- Make minor repairs and make arrangements for major repairs;
- Change oil, check tires, lights horn, clutch and brakes and wash car regularly;
- Ensure that vehicles comply with Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS).
Maintain and ensure availability of all required documents/supplies
- Maintain and ensure availability of all required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, and map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle;
- Ensure that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
Provide general administrative and logistic support as needed
- Assist office staff in filing, photocopying and maintaining required records;
- Assist in the mailing and distribution of publications and payments of bills, as required
Key Performance Indicators:
- Quality and timely driving services; safe and on-time
- Quality care and maintenance of vehicle
- Timely inputs to logs and records
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Excellent driving skills;
- Good knowledge of driving rules and regulations, local roads and conditions;
- Good defensive driving skills;
- Skills in minor vehicle repairs;
- Professional appearance and punctuality;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Completion of SLC/SEE is required, Secondary education is an asset.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
- At least 3 years of experience as a driver in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a safe driving record
- Fluency in Nepali and English is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Application Procedure (Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the complete documents will not be considered for further assessment). Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Motivation letter
- UN Women Personal History form (P-11), which can be downloaded from https://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment/application-process
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA) and sexual harassment (SH). Everyone is responsible for preventing sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA), and all UN personnel must adhere to the standards of conduct that preserve PSEA principles (both during work hours and outside work hours). All selected candidates will, therefore, go through a safe hiring process.
UN Women retain the right to contract referees directly. UN Women is committed to achieving workforce diversity (in term of gender, nationality, minority groups, caste/ethnic groups, Person with Disability etc.) and have a policy to have a gender balance among staff at all levels. Qualified female candidates and candidates particularly from disadvantaged and socially excluded groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Request for Disability-related Reasonable Accommodations:
It is important for UN Women to create an accessible and inclusive workplace for everyone. Reasonable accommodation will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to be recruited and to perform essential job functions. Should you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the selection and recruitment process, please direct your request and inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. A member of the HR team responsible for reasonable accommodation will contact you to confidentially discuss your needs.
This email will only be used for any disability-related accessibility requests and not for sending the application itself.
All applications will be treated with the highest confidentiality.
Application Deadline: 17-Sep-23 (Midnight New York, USA)