Summary of Position
Job Title: Technical Officer – UK Aid Match Project
Place of work: Bardiya District, Nepal
Pay band: Grade D
Contract type: 1-year Fixed term contract (with possibility of extension based on performance up to project period),
Full-time (6 months’ probation)
Reports to: WASH Programme Manager
Travel: Travel to programme and project areas when required
- Provide technical support to strengthen projects under Programme (UKAM-Bardiya)
- Support Programme Manager in designing, planning and managing the delivery of all service delivery related activities/components undertaken by WaterAid Nepal’s partner organisations.
This position will be a member of the WAN project team accompanied by Menstrual Health and Hygiene Coordinator and Policy and Governance Specialist from WAN along with a full partner project team in Bardiya district. The project team in the district will be guided and supported by programme team from Kathmandu comprising of WASH Programme Manager, BCC Specialist, Head of Programme and other functional team members.
Support to partner
- Support partner to develop working drawings and construction schedule and measurements
- Support partner organization in technical aspects to advance the progress in the identified activities under respective project components particularly as detailed out in the project plans and project documents
- Ensure timely receipt of design, drawings and estimates from partner organizations.
- Ensure thorough review and share with Programme Manager for further input, recommendation, and approval.
- Support partner organization for procurement of construction materials, preparing BOQ and bid documents, evaluation of bids
- Support partner organizations in construction works with regular supervision and technical supports for quality assurance and efficacy in construction works,
- Review designs and cost estimate prepared by partner organizations under the construction works with quality.
- Support municipality technical persons develop WASH in School standards and designs and support preparing model design of WASH infrastructures.
Supervision & Monitoring
- Provide supervision support to the partner organizations and assess the project progress and also ensure whether the activities are being implemented in accordance with the approved design/specification or not.
- Support Programme Manager to ensure quality reporting with data base and analytical information along with some case studies as far as possible, thus summarizing what was planned, achieved and due to complete.
- Ensure that partner organizations abide WA’s Quality Programme Standard and apply in the projects while delivering WASH activities to ensure that WASH services are with optimum quality.Specifically,
- Complete the construction (hardware) along with associated software activities with quality.
- Look after the project from technical aspects of WASH facilities, operation and maintenance. For this, undertake a recce of existing facilities in Bardiya district.
Coordination, advocacy and facilitation with key stakeholders of the project
- Develop and enhance close linkage with technicians within LGs and other local district stakeholders as appropriate and relevant for accelerating the project works in the intervening areas of the district.
- Together with partner, wherever applicable, support Project Manager to advocate with respective LGs to:
- Institutionalizing the WASH plan and particularly during local level planning process,
- Prepare O&M plan to support the functionality of the WASH facilities in the schools and to contribute to the overall sustainability of the project
- Coordinate with wards and LGs to resolve issues (if any)
- Safeguarding – Understand and put into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and Child Protection policies and procedures and the Global Code of Conduct (CoC)
- Bachelor’s in Civil Engineering or relevant discipline
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in similar role
- Experience and understanding of working modality of WASH sector
- IT skills particularly MS Word, Excel and Outlook
- Experience in WASH programme delivery and coordination of programme/project
- Good communication skills in written and verbal English and Nepali, with good interpersonal, negotiating and persuasive skills and experience
- Excellent skills in writing, producing excellent monitoring and programme/project reports for wider audience
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects WaterAid’s values of Respect Accountability, Courage, Collaboration, Integrity and Innovation.
- Experience in research in WASH development issues
- Excellent skill in community consultation, organising group discussions with different and diverse group of people, field observation and facilitating meetings internally and externally
- Ability to work flexibly, to manage varying competing priorities under your own initiative, meet strict deadlines
- Experience of managing and supporting partner technical staff
- Experience of working effectively within a culturally diverse and matrix organisation
Application Deadline: 12th of Feb, 2023
Source: Kantipur Dainik, 30 January 2023