DAI is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries. Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
Position: Team Leader -Investment Facility Director – EU-Nepal Trade and Investment Programme (TIP)
Job Code: 4882
EU-Nepal Trade and Investment Programme (TIP)
DAI Brussels has been shortlisted for the EU project EU-Nepal Trade and Investment Programme (TIP), a 3-year project with a provisional start date of 01/12/2020 .
The overall objective of the Investment Support Facility is to help achieving the objectives of improving enabling environment for trade and investment through improved coordination between development partners, Government of Nepal and private sector.
The specific objective of the Investment Support Facility is the increased capacity of actual investment promotion agencies. This includes the Department of Industry and the Industrial and investment promotion board (IIPB), which are responsible for approving smaller investments (< Rs 5 billion NRS), and creating model of single-entry point for investment in close consultation with private sector, including European Chamber of Commerce, and federations of business associations to promote FDI inflows, preferably from the EU.
This project is part of a larger programme with a trade component to be implemented through International Trade Center. It aims to increase participation in regional and global value-chains for coffee and pashmina, and enhance capacities of key stakeholders to formulate trade policies, negotiate trade agreements and effectively implement them. This Investment Support Facility (ISF) is a technical facility for regulatory reforms in investment promotion and maximizing the EUs Everything But Arms (EBA) trade regime benefits and other trade/investment related preferences, including GSP+ applications. The ISF will provide a mix of long term TA, short-term expertise on demand and resources for a range of capacity building measures. The ISF will closely work with the Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Supplies, Investment promotion agencies and private sector associations with main tasks that could include:
– Identify procedural and regulatory obstacles for foreign investment and propose solutions to address them
– Improve the Ministry of Industry’s capacity to attract foreign investment through a single-entry point,
– Support the drafting of an Integrated Trade and Investment sector policy and strategy through policy dialogue that is inclusive and evidence based
– Strengthen Information sharing and coordination mechanism for rural/economic and trade investment programmes.
We welcome applications for the position of KE1: Team Leader:
KE1-Team Leader Profile:
He/she will be in charge of the overall management of the project in terms of priorities, content, policy dialogue, ensuring overall coherence of approach, linking with other stakeholders, ensuring adequacy to the needs the objectives and purposes of the ISF and delivering timely quality outputs. He/she will also be managing the selection and supervision of short term expertise and coordinate reporting. He/she will be closely coordinating with the EU Delegation and the MoICS.
Qualifications and skills:
– Master degree in Trade, Economics, Management, International Development or equivalent experience of 15 years;
– Strong coordination and communication skills to link technical and conceptual aspects of cooperation projects and facilitate stakeholder interaction;
– Excellent English expression both orally and in writing;
– Strong management and excellent leadership skills;
– Sensitivity to / knowledge of South Asia economy, culture and customs.
General Professional experience:
– At least 5 years of relevant international senior level management experience in a large organisation of the public or private sector. A longer experience is an asset.
– At least 10 years of relevant international experience working in development cooperation, specifically Trade and Investment.
Specific professional experience:
– At least 5 years in project management or coordination, including project planning and progress monitoring in developing countries, including working on Trade and Investment, a longer experience is an asset;
– Proven experience as a team leader on a long term assignment involving multiple stakeholders (over 12 months) in the last 5 years, a longer experience is an asset;
– Previous experience of working in EU Preferential Trade Agreements (including EBA, GSP, GSP+) and EUs External Investment Plans (blending, guarantees and investment climate) will be an asset.
– At least one year of proven experience of management of short-term expertise. Experience longer than one year is an asset;
– Previous experience in Nepal or South/South-East Asia would be an asset.
– Experience in green finance / green economy would be an asset.
– Experience in trade and investment projects promoting gender equality and social inclusion would be an asset.