Website Zoological Society of London
Safeguarding and Communication Officer
ADVERTISING END DATE: 18 Feb 2024
LOCATION: ZSL Kathmandu Office (with frequent visits to the field)
ALL DEPARTMENTS: International field programmes
VACANCY TYPE: Fixed Term
BUSINESS AREA: Global Conservation and Field Programmes
CONTRACT LENGTH: 1 year
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Overview of the role:
ZSL Nepal’s program is highly diverse, encompassing projects in integrated landscape management, species conservation (including tiger, rhino, and Evolutionarily Distinct and Globally Endangered – EDGE species), protected area management, sustainable community development, and building in-country conservation capacity. This rapidly expanding program is currently seeking a Safeguard and Communication Officer to assist the Nepal program in meeting its Environment and Social (E&S) safeguarding compliance and communication requirements. This position is based in our Kathmandu Office, with frequent field visits to our project sites to ensure E&S safeguards are diligently observed.
The Safeguard and Communication Officer will play a crucial role in ensuring various organizational compliances are on track and adhered to. They will oversee the implementation, updating, and reporting of the Environment and Social Management Plan (ESMP) and conduct monitoring and evaluation of ongoing ZSL projects. This role involves close collaboration with the ZSL team and Implementing Partners to streamline current operations and ensure the continuous delivery of high-quality outputs with significant conservation impacts. Therefore, the Safeguard and Communication Officer should consider themselves as advocates for ZSL’s mission, vision, and values always. Further, the position requires supporting towards project development, project reporting, planning, monitoring and evaluating the progress of ZSL implemented projects to provide a basis for evidence-based decision making. In addition to safeguard responsibilities, effective communication will be a key component of this role, facilitating engagement with stakeholders, conveying project progress, and promoting awareness of ZSL’s conservation efforts.
- Lead, address, monitor and report ZSL’s system/policy on health, safety and Grievance Redress Mechanism
- Lead, identify, assess and monitor overall capacity building needs on safeguards and compliance within the organization for all staffs and outside the organization for community members, partners and stakeholders
- Develop and implement a strategic communication plan for ZSL Nepal, in alignment with the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Represent ZSL in different fora, attend meetings and provide support to partners as needed.
- Create and disseminate engaging and informative content, including press releases, newsletters, reports/annual reports, and social media updates, to promote ZSL Nepal’s initiatives and achievements.
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline (social science/development studies or a related field or other relevant discipline) 5 years of relevant work experience accepted in lieu of degree.
- Should demonstrate a track record of expertise in E&S safeguard systems or qualitative research, as well as proficiency in monitoring and evaluation, and engagement with stakeholders in ZSL-supported conservation projects as needed.
- Good knowledge and pragmatic skills in safeguarding and communication related topics.
- Possess in-depth knowledge of both National and International Environment and Social Safeguard instruments, as well as environmental rules and regulations.
- Strong ability to create and manage digital marketing including social media and ability to adapt to new trends and changes in the market.
- A good understanding of the socio-political context of Nepal, specifically of the western lowland region.
- Excellent English proficiency in oral and written communication, including a demonstrated track record in technical report writing and ability to communicate technical matters effectively to general audience.
- Proficiency in both written and spoken Nepali language is required.
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point, Internet) is required.
- Capacity to work effectively under time pressure and ability to multi-task.
- Willingness to travel within the region, sometimes at short notice.
- Computer literacy in MS Office packages.
- Excellent organizational and networking skills.
- Team-oriented attitude and ability to work independently.
We strongly encourage applications from all backgrounds and celebrate the value of having a team of employees with diverse skills, experiences, and heritage. We are committed to ensuring our teams can bring their authentic selves to work without fear of discrimination. ZSL has active equality networks for our staff with lived experience and those who provide active allyship in Race and Culture, Team Pride, Disability Network, and Menopause Network, complemented by our strategic EDI Steering Group.
We’re ZSL, an international conservation charity. Through our unrivalled animal experts in our two zoos (London Zoo and Whipsnade Zoo), the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated conservationists, our purpose is to inspire, inform and empower people to stop wild animals going extinct. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we’re working every day to achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction.
What do we offer?
At ZSL, we are proud of our approach to employee benefits. Our benefits include:
- Our vision and purpose – you’ll work alongside colleagues who are passionate about science-led conservation, knowing that you will help us to inspire, inform and empower people to stop wildlife going extinct
- Holidays – 19 days paid annual leave during each 12-month period worked, plus national and public holidays as per the Labor Act of Nepal.
- Wellbeing – Accidental insurance for staff and medical insurance for staff (including family members)
- Maternity leave and paternity leave available as per Labor act of Nepal.