Swisscontact, established in 1959 in Switzerland, is a leading partner organisation for the implementation of international development projects. The organisation promotes inclusive economic, social, and ecological development to make an effective contribution towards sustainable and widespread prosperity in developing and emerging economies. It strengthens the competencies of people, improving their employability, increases the competitiveness of enterprises, growing their business, and fosters social and economic systems, promoting inclusive development.
Swisscontact, registered as an International Non-Governmental Organisation has been operating in Nepal since 1991. Currently, Swisscontact Nepal has six development programmes across all seven provinces.
Quality Technical and Vocational Education and Training for Youth (QualiTY), Phase 1 project is a bilateral initiative between the Government of Nepal and the Government of Switzerland. It is implemented by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training at the Federal level and Ministry of Social Development / Education at the Provincial level. Swisscontact Nepal provides technical assistance to the project through the Project Support Unit (PSU) at Federal and Provincial level on behalf of the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).
Swisscontact Nepal invites applications from the committed and experienced Nepali citizens for the following position.
Numbers: 2 (Two)
Location: One for Deukhuri, Lumbini province and one for Surkhet, Karnali province1 with frequent field visits
Reports to: Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist, PSU, Bhaktapur
Time: 100% (8 hours a day and 5 days a week)
Duration: One year with the possibility of extension based on satisfactory performance
Purpose of the Job
The Province Manager is responsible for managing the Provincial Project Support Unit (PPSU) and furnishing the Technical Assistance on implementation of the project activities in the assigned provincial, and local levels.
The Province Manager works closely with the Team Leader, TVET Coordinator and Project Support Unit (PSU) team at federal and province.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
1. Compliance to the policies, rules/regulations, and guidelines
Adhere relevant policies, procedures, rules, regulations, and guidelines of Swisscontact Nepal (Financial and Operation Manuals, Code of Conduct Against Corruption, Conflict of Interest, Basic Operating Guideline (BoG), Local Security Management Plan, Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Guideline, Guideline on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse, and Harassment (PSEAH), Communication Guideline and other specific policies, guidelines, and manuals applicable at the Swisscontact Nepal.
2. Technical Assistance on Programme Implementation
- Facilitate for the smooth functioning of the Provincial Project Steering Committee (PPSC), Project Implementation and Coordination Committee (PICC-P) Project Coordination and Implementation Unit (PCIU-P) in the assigned province.
- Support Ministry of Social Development/ Education (MoSD/E) to develop and implement the provincial Yearly Plan of Operation (YPO).
- Work directly with MoSD/E and provide technical assistance for the implementation of the project activities as per the agreed YPO.
- Support MoSD/E in conducting steering committee meetings, preparing minutes, and implementing decisions.
- Support MoSD/E in preparing periodic reports and its compilation with federal level project report including the financial reports.
- Facilitate forming an Office for TVET at province level and extend the technical support to its smooth functioning as per the mandate.
- Facilitate for the timely entries of annual budgets (on budget-on treasury portion) and for its disbursements including the periodic reporting of the expenditures.
3. Project Management at Province level
- Work as an overall in-charge of project for assigned province/s and manage all the project staff working at assigned province.
- Ensure a regular team meeting at province level, prepare a period plan (at least quarterly) and share with line management.
- Guide/Supervise the performance of the staff working under the assigned province.
- Take overall responsibility of Project Support Unit (PSU) office management at province level as per the authority given by the project management.
- Support Finance and Administration Manager on planning the fiscal budgets, entries in Province Line Ministry Budget Information System (P-LMBIS) and it’s reporting back to the federal project entities.
- Exhibit strong competencies in managing pilot projects and facilitating the exchange of ideas and information between different stakeholders at province Level.
- Prepare for key meetings, workshops and related activities and support in preparing materials as needed to expand the outreach and advocacy for wider acceptance of the project at province and local level.
- Ensure regular monitoring and follow-up of the activities in the field through mobilisation of PPSU team and/or through joint monitoring team formed at each province.
- Facilitate the various events (training, workshop, meetings etc.) among actors and stakeholders and project team members at province and prepare event reports.
- Ensure monitoring activities are aligned with the project log frame and monitoring and quality assurance guideline formulated by the project.
- Provide feedback from the field experience to develop capacity development strategies of the project and its stakeholders.
- Support to document the processes, lessons learned, best practices, case studies and other relevant information regularly and feed into the project’s reporting and knowledge management system.
- Support and contribute to the project management to commission studies, surveys and assessments carried out in the assigned province.
- Support Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist on preparing Yearly Plan of Operation (YPO), semi-annual, and annual progress reports and other periodic reports of the project.
4. Coordination, Collaboration and Networking
- Lead all kinds of coordination and collaboration to implement the project activities and strategies at province and local level.
- Liaise with provincial governments, local governments, Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training (CTEVT) office at province, TVET schools and private sector stakeholders/ associations to implement the Yearly Plan of Operation (YPO).
- Coordinate with other SDC supported in-house projects’ team and other likeminded project/programmes in the respective province to create a synergetic result.
- Take a proactive role for smooth operation of the joint office together with Nepal Vocational Qualification System (NVQS) project and necessary collaboration with PPSU of NVQS.
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders and ensure partnerships are made based on the need of the strategies at province level.
- Be proactive in establishing a good network among the stakeholders to increase the ownership and to advocate for QualiTY project at province and local level.
5. Other Specific Responsibilities
- Professionally discharge other tasks assigned by the project management.
- Be proactive in bringing innovation and taking new initiative in the project in coordination with project management.
- Proactively seek and contribute to inter-project collaboration with other inhouse projects of Swisscontact Nepal whenever possible.
Qualification, Experience, and Skills
- Master’s degree in relevant field (Education/TVET/Workforce education/Management/Business Studies/Development Studies).
- Minimum of 10 years of work experience (including at least three years of management experience) in relevant field (i.e., development cooperation and/or, TVET sector programmes).
- Knowledge and work experience of TVET school/TVET programme management and the importance of the quality management system would be an advantage.
- Ability and willingness to work in a team to deliver high quality outputs within deadlines in a dynamic and fast-paced work environment.
- Experience in roles and interrelationship among development organisation, federal, provincial, and local governments in the programme development and implementation process.
- Proficiency in MS Office work and Internet use and basic project management tools.
- Willingness and ability to frequent field visit travels.
- High level of motivation and good communication, social, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work and act under pressure and with discretion in a politically sensitive environment.
- Ability to influence, communicate, co-operate, and negotiate with a wide range of stakeholders (including government) with tact, diplomacy, and sensitivity to cultural differences.
- In-depth knowledge on development and gender and social inclusion issues.
- Respect and sensitivity towards cultural, gender, ethnicity, and religious diversity.
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture within the project and outside.
- Focuses on impact and results and responds positively to feedback.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Demonstrates ability for self-development and initiative-taking.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity.
- Acts as a team player and facilitatees teamwork and manages conflict.
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Client oriented, internally, and externally.
- Excellent communication skill in both English and Nepali (verbal and written).
Working Condition and Environment
- This will be applicable in accordance with the Swisscontact Finance & Operations Manual.
Please submit online Job Application Form by clicking the link below.
The deadline for form submission is 03 December 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the selection process. Swisscontact Nepal reserves the right to reject any or all applications. Swisscontact Nepal shall not entertain any phone inquiries or other solicitations for these positions.
Swisscontact Nepal promotes workforce diversity and applies positive discrimination to candidates from discriminated groups (Women, Dalit, Janajati, Madhesi/Terai, and other minority communities), thus encourage people to apply from these backgrounds. Priority will be given to local candidates.
To apply for this job please visit www.swisscontact.org.