Website Plan International
Project Coordinator –Promoting Economic Empowerment of Adolescent for Resilient Livelihood (PEEARL) Project
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Gulariya, Bardiya
Summary of Position
NOTE: Plan International Nepal invites the applications from FEMALE CANDIDATES ONLY with priority from minority and youth groups for this position.
Functional Area: SOYEE (Skills and Opportunities for Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship) – Learn
Reports to: Program Specialist-Learn, Regional Office- West, Surkhet
Location: Gulariya, Bardiya
Type: Fixed-Term Employment from January 2022 to December 2023 based in Gulariya, Bardiya
ABOUT PLAN INTERNATIONAL
Plan International is a development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We strive for a just world, working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners in over 75 countries. Our programs are underpinned by a core of defined values, including transparency and accountability, team collaboration, inclusion and integration, as well as the overall ambition to empower girls and young women as legacy.
Plan International has been working in Nepal since 1978 and developed a strong reputation as a respected development and humanitarian actor helping marginalised children, their families and communities to access their rights to health, education, economic security and protection. Through the support of local partners, Plan International works in 24 districts in Nepal.
Plan International Nepal has a vision for 2030 as “an inclusive, just and safe society where all girls and young women enjoy their rights and live in freedom”. This is coupled with the ambition of taking action so that 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive as “Girls and young women in all of their diversity reach their full potential as equal and active citizens” by 2023. The country strategy is put into action through the implementation of three interrelated program areas defined as follows:
LEARN: The “Education and Skills and Opportunities for Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship (SOYEE)” program aims to assist vulnerable and excluded girls and young women in adapting and thriving in a changing climate; Whereas Inclusive and Quality education for the most marginalised and vulnerable children is another focus area of Plan Nepal.
LEAD AND DECIDE: The “Youth as Active Drivers of Change and Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR)” program aims to empower girls and young women in leading change, having control over their bodies and making informed decisions; and
THRIVE: The “Early Childhood Development (ECD), Child Protection and Child Poverty” program enhances vulnerable and excluded children, especially girls, to be valued and cared for without discrimination, fear and any forms of violence.
Plan international Nepal seeks candidates who practice feminist leadership, promote diversity, actively seek innovative solutions for problems, courageously and respectfully share their opinions and ideas, break down barriers and engender cross-department collaboration, practice active listening, maintain confidentiality, build trust and are passionate about children’s rights and equality for girls.
Plan International Nepal is going to implement “Promoting Economic Empowerment of Adolescent for Resilient Livelihood” (PEEARL) project in Bardiya District of Nepal. The project is being implemented with the below key objective/s.
- Vulnerable young people, especially young women, have “work-ready” skills and knowledge in locally-relevant markets to pursue wage/self-employment of their choosing in a post-COVID-19 economy.
- Targeted young women’s families and communities adopt positive norms and practices supporting them to pursue skills development and decent work opportunities.
- Targeted private sector employers invest in and practice youth-inclusive, gender-responsive decent work principles.
Project Coordinator (PC) from Plan Nepal will be the focal person for quality implementation of the project through local implementing partner. PC will ensure the project is being implemented smoothly (activities implemented as per the detail implementation plan), budget being consumed as per the budget plan , partner is implementing the project activities aligning with the compliances of Plan Nepal , and maintaining a smooth relationship with local government authorities and agency representing Plan Nepal/he will be required to compile and prepare quarterly reports, progress reports, case stories annual program progress reports to be submitted to Donor .S/he will be required to lead and support partner organisation in private sector engagement and influencing.
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
The Project Coordinator’s main responsibility is to ensure smooth, timely and quality implementation of the project. The project will be implemented in Bardiya District of Nepal in selected Palikas. S/he will be responsible for:
General: Provide managerial leadership for the PEEARL project ensuring smooth and quality implementation as per the guidance from project proposal and other relevant docs.
Partner Management: ensure effective project implementation, provide technical and Managerial support, and act as liaison between partner organization and Plan International Nepal on a regular basis. Where necessary provide capacity building directly or by involving the appropriate department (PQI, MERL, and ICC as per need), carry out partners’ assessment as required by the projects and organization, make necessary capacity building plan and ensure its implementation. Lead and Support partner in private sector employers engagement and influencing.
Budget Management: ensure budgets are phased and include appropriate WBS and program codes, follow up with transaction reports on bi-weekly/monthly basis to ensure adequate burn rate aligning with the time spend.
Coordination: Coordinate regularly and as per the need with relevant colleagues from other departments such as ICC, PQI and MERL for support to partner organisation.
Representation: Work with local levels government and other agencies, as relevant, to ensure Plan is compliant with all requirements. Ensure Plan International Nepal’s voice is heard at relevant forums
MER: Ensure proper Project Implementation Guideline, M&E plan, data base and Quality Benchmarks are in place, understood and being used.
Reporting: Ensure donor/NO/ Plan reports meet time and quality standards
Coordination and Networking: Liaise and coordinate with stakeholders, implementing partners and the government to maximize the results intended through this project.
In close coordination with Technical Advisor SOYEE, MERL Specialist and Program Specialist-LEARN, the incumbent will ensure timely, high quality and results oriented program plans.
Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Plan International Nepal’s values.
Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
Planning & Budgeting
Leads the planning processes and ensures partners have annual detailed implementation plan including realistic phased budget outlining major activities and timeline for the funds allocated in required planning templates provided by the Organization/NO/Donor.
- Ensures appropriate fund allocation and expenditure on a monthly basis and take corrective measures by revisiting plans and communicating timely with Supervisor and project team.
- Coordinate with district project teams including Technical Advisor/Program Specialist to design a robust field visit plan, self-assessments and monitoring systems including follow up on recommendations with relevant department and impact areas.
- Leads the revision of budgets during budget forecast and on exchange rate fluctuations as per organizational procedures.
- Coordinates with Technical Advisors for technical assistance as required.
Programme Delivery & Management
- Ensures programmatic and financial accountability including tracking of program progress and budget expense in the use of funds and achievement of all related projects.
- Supports and is responsible for the partnership management in terms of compliance, zero tolerance policies, audits and management response, identification of capacity gaps and recommends for improvements.
- Understands partnership from both the perspectives- as an implementing partner and as a supporting partner to handle the partnership issues.
- Supports to develop capacity building initiative for the implementing partners based on the capacity assessment so that they could work as the active CSO that works for decent work of adolescent. Documentation & Reporting
- S/he is responsible for timely and quality reports preparation, reviewed and submit to BD team as per the reporting schedule in prescribed template.
- Coordinates with Technical Advisors including MERL team, to ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and documentation of program activities, output, outcomes and best practices.
- Take initiatives in generating information that are required to add values in on-going programmes or for the programmes visualized for future.
- Ensure proper documentation of the project including and not limited to learning, lessons learned, best practices, case studies, in coordination with Communication department.
- Ensures that the DIP, Dash boards, Gantt charts, M & E plan, output tracker are updated and reported timely.
Representation and Networking
- Collaboration and coordination with government counterparts, external development partners and donors at various levels.
- Lead and Support partner organization in engaging and influencing the selected private sector employers.
- Supervises and provides guidance to the partner organisation in the planning, implementation and monitoring of programs and project plan as per the given guidelines.
- Ensures the M&E plan of the project is well familiar and understood by partner staff and is exclusively used and reported.
- Ensures that all action plans developed after project reviews, evaluations and assessments are followed up and completed by respective themes on time.
- Identifies strengths and improvement areas of staff members and partners for quality delivery of the projects and comes up with plans to improve such gaps
Innovation and Scale
- Identifies new ideas, best practices, problems and issues around program implementation and works toward finding solutions for improvements, documenting, disseminating and in consultation with relevant departments.
Communications and Working Relationships:
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
The position Project Coordinator holder will have to work with Technical Advisor (SOYEE), Program Specialist (LEARN), Influencing and Communication Departments, Gender Specialist, Business Development team, Plan’s Partner and externals.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Educational Qualifications and work experience for Project Coordinator
- Bachelor’s Degree with 3-4 years or Master’s Degree in social work, development studies, or relevant field with 2-3 years of relevant experience in project management of TVET/ SOYEE (Skills and Opportunities for youth employment and entrepreneurship) sector is preferred
- Prior experience of working /engaging with private sector employers is highly desirable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Understanding of the trend in the labour market situation in Nepal.
- Effective project management.
- Understanding of Feminist principles.
- Good written and verbal English and Nepali skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, a variety of team members and external contacts, through good written and spoken communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills for team working in multi-lingual and multi-cultural environment.
- Demonstrably strong verbal and written communication, presentation and persuasion skills.
- Ability to plan work and meet deadlines when working under pressure on a number of projects.
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and be innovative, set priorities, manage work plans and evaluate progress.
- Strategic, analytical, negotiation skill and decision making skills.
- Able to create linkages, networking, lobbying and advocating with relevant stakeholders.
- Good awareness and analysis of sensitivities attached with the government functionaries.
- Ability to articulate the vision of Plan’s programme to different audiences.
- Demonstrable professional maturity and able to work independently.
- Ability to apply good judgment and professionalism in the resolution of work related problems
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Efficient in meeting commitments and deadlines in achieving results.
- Ability to plan and organize work by identifying priority activities and adjusting priorities as required.
- Demonstrated approach to work that is characterized by commitment, motivation, energy and flexibility.
- Ability to relate to government authorities, UN agencies, and other development/humanitarian actors and to build a rapport effectively.
- Continually assessing the external policy and advocacy landscape and adjusting strategy and activities as needed.
- Commitment to Plan’s values including the rights and needs of children.
PLAN INTERNATIONAL’S VALUES IN PRACTICE
We are open and accountable
- Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
- Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
- Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
- Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
- Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
- Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
- Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
- Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
- Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
- Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
- Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
- Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
- Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
- We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
- We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
- We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
- Based in Gulariya, Bardiya (at the office of Implementing Partner)
- Able to work in difficult circumstances
- Work with multi-culture and multi-lingual staff/team members
LEVEL OF CONTACT WITH CHILDREN
- Low level contact: Very less interaction with children
Say Yes ! To Keeping Children and Young people safe and Protected.
Source: Kantipur Dainik, 24 November, 2021