Organization: Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has been operating in Nepal since 2005, implementing programs in food security, agriculture, market development, financial services, youth engagement, climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction.
“Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision, and we encourage people from all backgrounds, especially women and members of disadvantaged groups to apply. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer”.
Mercy Corps invites applications from all interested and potential Nepali candidates for the following position:
Position: Procurement Officer
Location Kathmandu with frequent visit to Mercy Corps Field Offices
Position Status Full-time, Regular Salary Level 01
Current Team Member N/A
General Position Summary
The Procurement Officer under the leadership of Head of Operations is responsible for overseeing the procurement aspects of Mercy Corps’ logistic operation. Working closely with Program, Administration, Finance and Logistics the Procurement Officer is instrumental in supporting program activities through his/her services.
As gender and social inclusion (GESI) and good governance is cross-cutting and core components of the all MC programs, the Procurement Officer is required to own these components and ensure GESI sensitivity and good governance integration into his/her work area.
Essential Job Responsibilities
The specific duties and responsibilities of the Procurement Officer includes, but are not limited to, the following:
• Coordinate MC-N procurement activities and ensure that the procurement department supports the programs efficiently and compliantly.
Purchase of goods and services
• Check and print the Purchase Request (PR) forms and related documents received for purchase of goods and services and inform the originator for approval process
• Interact with vendors and service providers in close coordination with the concerned PR Originator & Head of Operations required
• Collect quotations from the market for PR as per Mercy Corps Standards and Formats
• Quotation analysis committee as per MC Field Procurement Manual and facilitate quotation analysis
• Ensure fair competition in bid selection process
Bids and Tender Documents
• Prepare request for quotation/ tender documents to collect the bids upon receipt of the approved PR
• Coordinate and communicate with vendor’s/service providers during collection of quotations. Explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors/ service providers use the provided forms
• Support in preparing the draft of Purchase Order (PO) or Contract as deemed necessary
• Ensure the received goods are as per the order placed
• Be responsible to complete the necessary documentation of the goods received/service completion by the originator as per MC standards
• Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets
• Verify invoices, prepare payments request and coordinate with the Finance Department to ensure that payments to vendors’/ service providers are made on-time without any unnecessary strain on the financial systems of MC
Others Procurement Activities
• Be informed of the sources of supply, methods, services and goods available in the local market
• Visit the local market as necessary to understand the available supply of goods in the market and its specifications
• Maintain database with contact details of relevant and potential vendor’s/service providers to expedite the procurement process
• Maintain database of frequently procured goods/services price list and commodity catalogs
• Maintain confidentiality of all specifications and price quotations made by vendor’s/service providers.
• Be responsible in completing the required documentation for procurement activities and maintaining the required files as outlined in the MC Policy
• Maintaining electronic records (PR form, ongoing and completed master lists)
• Coordinate with the Finance Department to ensure that payments to vendors are made on-time and without any unnecessary strain on the financial systems of MC
• Collaborate with head of Operations to provide guidance and support on technical aspects of procurement activities to field based procurement staff in Mercy Corps Nepal.
• Support on interpretation of the MC Procurement Polices and advise/coordinate on procurement activities to the field staff in Mercy Corps Nepal as needed.
• Prepare of status reports on deliveries for P&L and office Management and recipient of supplies. Assist in the maintenance of thorough procurement files as outlined in the MC procurement policy.
• Enforce proper use of procurement ceilings and approval procedures.
• Ensure that the procurement filing system is in place and in accordance with the Procurement filing procedures as outlined in the Procurement Manual.
Safeguarding, Ethics & Integrity
• All Mercy Corps staff members are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate the highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
• Mercy Corps has zero tolerance for abuse, sexual misconduct and sexual exploitation (PSEA) of the people we work with and our own staff members. All staff must commit to internal policies.
• Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not to jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
• Ensure proper integration of GESI aspects into his/her are of work as appropriate.
• Mercy Corps as a humanitarian agency is expected to response as and when crisis and humanitarian situation engulfs. As an MC employee all staff are expected to be part of humanitarian and emergency response in addition to their regular roles and responsibilities in such situations.
• Other duties as assigned by the Head of Operations.
FINANCE & COMPLIANCE MANAGEMENT
• Ensure compliance with Mercy Corps’ procurement policies and procedures for all goods and services.
• Ensure that functional administrative systems are established and maintained in the partners and project at the field level.
• Support and orient on MC Code of Ethics and uphold Mercy Corps’ Zero tolerance of corruption policy.
• Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
• Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews
• Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve understanding of procurement policies and requirements and related documentation.
• Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
• Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
• As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
• Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
• Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Supervisory Responsibility None
Accountable for following Mercy Corps Field Procurement Manual, the MC Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy.
Reports Directly to: Head of Operations
Works Directly with: Head of Operations, Administrative & Logistics Officer, Program, and Finance Department
Knowledge and Experience
• • At least Bachelor’s degree in Procurement, Supply Management, Contract Management, Acquisition Management, Strategic Procurement Management or related discipline. Master’s degree preferred.
• • 2-3 years of experience in procurement management and large scale supply chain management for an international organization.
• • A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
• • Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities
• • Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
• • A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities.
• • Excellent oral and written English skills and ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel
• • Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment
• • Knowledge of Sphere standards and other training in humanitarian response preferred.
• • Conduct field visits at the Regional Field Office’s for supportive supervision.
• • Skilled in facilitating orientation and on the job session for staff.
A Procurement Officer demonstrate has a clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance. S/he has the ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities. A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential. Procurement Officer should be conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment. S/he should have the ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people. S/he should have the ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel.
The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
Last date to apply: June 26, 2020
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are requested to submit Cover letter and Mercy Corps Application Form available at http://nepal.mercycorps.org by COB June 26, 2020 to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
[Please mention the title of the Position on the subject line of the e-mail while applying]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Telephone enquiries will not be entertained.