Information Systems (IS) Administrator
Possible is a collaboration that develops and tests innovations to improve health in Nepal. Our partnership is between an independent Nepal-based non-governmental organization and a US-based non-profit. Possible envisions a world where everyone, everywhere has access to high-quality healthcare rooted in evidence, inclusion, and equity. As such, we engage in rigorous and collaborative research and innovation to address evidence, implementation, and policy gaps in the equity, quality, and accessibility of healthcare. Our research endeavors and partnerships aim to address challenges in context and from stated or established needs rather than for the novelty of research. We partner with community-based organizations, public and private sector academic institutions, and research organizations to leverage research and evidence to inform and implement innovative solutions to healthcare challenges in Nepal. For the last 15 years, we have been a leader in healthcare innovation in Nepal, with partnerships spanning several national and international institutions such as Kathmandu University, Harvard Medical School, University of California San Francisco, Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, and the University of Washington.
Possible, a non-governmental organization registered in Nepal, is seeking IS Administrator to manage and maintain the organization’s digital platforms, data, information technology (IT) infrastructure and systems. The IS Administrator plays a critical role in ensuring the smooth functioning of all IS applications and system, including digital platforms, supporting users, and safeguarding the organization’s data and digital assets. She/he/they should see themselves as an advocate for Possible’s mission, vision and values at all times.
Reports to: Finance and Operations Executive
Direct Reports: None
Works closely with: Possible teams, advisors, and partners
Location: Kathmandu with 20-30% travel to research and partner sites
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
The IS Administrator will work closely with the Finance & Operations Executive and researchers and advisors to be chiefly responsible for the following areas of work:
1. Actively support the operationalization of information systems, procedures, and policies essential for the successful functioning of the organization’s IS infrastructure while adapting to the constantly evolving IS landscape.
- Manage and maintain the organization’s network infrastructure, including LAN, WAN, and internet connectivity.
- Monitor the performance and security of IS, identifying and resolving any issues promptly.
- Install, configure, and maintain hardware and software, including servers, workstations, printers, and other peripherals.
- Manage and create user accounts and access privileges in various platforms such as Google Suite, Asana, and other software used by the organization, ensuring security and data confidentiality.
- Conduct regular data backups and implementing disaster recovery plans.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software problems, providing technical support to users.
- Manage and update antivirus and security software to safeguard against cybersecurity threats.
- Maintain the organization’s IT assets, inventory, and licenses log in close coordination with Operations team.
- Conduct routine system checkups and ensuring compliance with IS policies and procedures.
- Assist in the evaluation and selection of IT vendors, new IT equipment and software.
- Onboard and train team members on IT-related tools, security awareness, software, and security best practices.
- Update team members with the latest IT trends/features and technologies, making recommendations for continuous improvement.
2. Manage digital platforms for cross sectional and longitudinal data used in various research projects and ensure their smooth functioning
- Manage the overall administration of digital platforms (for example, REDCap, CHT) for cross sectional and longitudinal data, including user access,
permissions, and project setups.
- Provide technical support to users encountering issues working in the digital platforms and other applications. Diagnose and resolve problems related to software functionality, data entry, user access, and system integration.
- Support the researchers in uploading the research tools, build validation measures, and export the data for analysis
- Conduct training sessions for new users to familiarize them with the digital platforms and other IS applications. Provide comprehensive onboarding to help users navigate the systems effectively.
- Support the data managers and the relevant team members to oversee data management processes within the digital platforms and other applications. Ensure data integrity, implement validation checks, and support users in data entry and cleaning tasks.
- Coordinate and perform software updates, patches, and maintenance of the platforms in consultation with the relevant consultants and vendors.
- Work together with our researchers, advisors and partners as relevant to update and operationalize our data SOPs, including data storage, archiving and sharing as per national and global data compliance standards.
3. Oversee server maintenance to the security, stability, and optimal performance
of a network infrastructure.
- Keep the server’s operating system, software applications, and firmware up to date with the latest security patches and bug fixes. Regularly check for updates and schedule maintenance windows for installation.
- Identify and resolve bottlenecks to maintain smooth operations.
- Implement robust backup procedures to ensure data integrity. Schedule backup and disaster recovery processes to ensure data can be restored in case of emergencies.
- Conduct periodic security checks to identify potential vulnerabilities and ensure compliance with security standards.
- Monitor server logs and security events to detect any suspicious activities or potential security breaches.
- Monitor critical services and applications running on the server to ensure they are functioning correctly and to address any issues promptly.
The above list of responsibilities is not comprehensive and IS Administrator may be required to take on additional responsibilities, as determined in discussion with Finance & Operations Executive and the researchers.
- Commitment to Possible’s Values, Mission & Vision
- Strong knowledge of networking, system administration, digital platforms for longitudinal data collection and management (for example, REDCap), and IT security. Proven work experience as an IS Administrator or in a similar role.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to work effectively with users and team members.
- Proficient in the installation and configuration of hardware, software, and operating systems with Windows operating systems; Familiarity with cloud-based services and virtualization technologies with excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Management or related degree with at least 2 years of relevant experience, excellent command in written and spoken Nepali and English; Nepali Citizen based in Nepal.
Email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. When applying please include name and position in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until filled. Applications will be accepted until the 7th of September 2023. If we believe that you and Possible are a good potential fit, we will contact you to advance the application process. Please note that due to a large volume of applications, we may not individually respond to your application.