Organization: International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA)
The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) is an intergovernmental organization with a mission to advance democracy worldwide, as a universal human aspiration and an enabler of sustainable development, through support to the building, strengthening and safeguarding of democratic political institutions and processes at all levels.
We believe that democracy is a universal human aspiration and an experience that is pursued and lived in different ways around the world. Beyond the basic tenets of citizens’ choice and citizens’ political equality, the critical choices are best made and the quality of democracy is best gauged by those directly concerned: the citizens themselves. We systematically nurture an open and pluralistic understanding of democracy. This is respectful of the national context, and is in line with our non-prescriptive and non-intrusive approach, as well as with the priorities set by national actors.
International IDEA produces, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes, constitution building processes, political participation and representation, as well as on democracy as it relates to gender and inclusion, conflict sensitivity and sustainable development.
It has its headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden, and offices in the Africa and West Asia, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean and Europe regions. International IDEA is a Permanent Observer to the United Nations.
Position: Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Number of Vacancies: 1
Job Location: Kathmandu
Since 2004, International IDEA has supported three main areas of the democratic process in Nepal: transition to peace and to a democratic system, constitution building and electoral processes. During the period 2004-2015, International IDEA’s main partners included the two Constituent Assemblies, their Legislature Parliaments and Secretariats, the Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development and the Election Commission of Nepal.
In 2015, once the new Constitution was promulgated and Nepal became a Federal Republic with three spheres of government – federal, provincial and local – International IDEA’s work shifted towards supporting the implementation of key constitutional provisions, supporting the newly introduced federal system by strengthening local government system through deliberative political decision-making processes, in partnership with the Ministry of Federal Affairs and General Administration (MOFAGA) and the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID). Support also included informing and engaging citizens about their rights, roles and responsibilities in Nepal’s new federal system of governance, with support from the Governance Facility (GF).
From 2016 to date, International IDEA has been supporting the implementation of Nepal’s Constitution by contributing to effective state capability in partnership with the relevant entities of the Government of Nepal – at federal, provincial and local spheres, as well as with key development partners, in addition to continue supporting meaningful engagement of citizens through civil society actors and partners.
International IDEA is currently looking to recruit a Monitoring and Evaluation Officer to a. support the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) component of the programme, b. develop a MEL and Knowledge Management (KM) strategy and implement action plans, and c. collect information from respective teams and prepare quarterly narrative reports and annual progress reports. Detailed duties and responsibilities are as below:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops a Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Strategy for the Coherence programme, including MEL action plans, responding to donor needs and aligned with International IDEA’s M&E results framework;
- Supports the monitoring of results and ensures regular monitoring and learning processes are integrated into each component of the programme; Implements quarterly learning and reflection processes to ensure ongoing improvement;
- Prepares, follows-up and provides support for programme reporting, including quarterly and annual narrative reporting from respective programme coordinators and programme officers;
- Oversees and backstops the implementation of a learning integration plan;
- Provides all relevant staff with the necessary technical advice for an effective monitoring and learning function of the programme;
- Engages regularly with DFID and other Development Partners as required, and supports liaison with PLGSP and PCGG on the programme’s MEL activities and more widely, as needed;
- Networks and explores collaboration with like-minded stakeholders on monitoring and learning aspects.
- In-depth knowledge, understanding and experience of monitoring, evaluation and learning systems and approaches, including outcome mapping tools and processes;
- Relevant experience of monitoring and learning in similar programmes and organisations;
- Will contribute to assigned projects in different aspects of the project life cycle, more specifically will conduct research and analysis, will draft various documents (articles, concept notes, agreements, etc.) and will support the projects vis-à-vis all internal and external stakeholders;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s Core Values: Respect, Integrity and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Head of Programme
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Has good knowledge and understanding of the concurrent governance issues, updated with local government functioning;
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has a good understanding of the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented – which may imply field experience at some point;
- Contributes to the research of information on donors and partners, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- No direct people management responsibility.
- Identifies and resolves complex problems; approaches issues with new perspectives; analyses situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Can also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises regularly with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her projects and contributes to an effective work environment and culture;
- Actively seeks learning and development opportunities for effective teamwork and collaboration;
- Acts in all assignments with personal energy and engagement;
- Excellent knowledge in written and oral English and Nepali is required; Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would be an asset.
Education and Experience
- University degree in Development Studies, Business Administration, Management or other relevant discipline;
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in the field of programme management and monitoring and evaluating, including knowledge of monitoring, evaluation and learning systems and approaches, outcome mapping tools and processes;
- Technical experience of governance issues will be considered an advantage;
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, considered an advantage.
Terms of Contract:
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Nepal.
Contract duration: Fixed term appointment until 28 February 2022
Applying for this position:
Applications should be submitted online no later than 23:59 (CEST) 15 July 2020. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
You may apply directly by pressing the Send Application button.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
Last date to apply: 15 July 2020