Position: Mini Hydro Engineer (1 position), Level : SB 4/Peg 1
Location : Kathmandu, NEPAL
Application Deadline : 10-Jul-20 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Climate & Disaster Resilience
Type of Contract : Other
Post Level : Other
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 10-Aug-2020
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
Duration of Initial Contract: 12 months with probability of extension
Renewable Energy for Rural Livelihood (RERL) is a joint project of the Government of Nepal/Alternative Energy Promotion Centre (GoN/AEPC) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). In continuation of UNDP’s support to the energy sector and UN’s commitment towards ensuring universal access to modern energy services, UNDP Nepal and GoN/AEPC has agreed to extend the partnership in this sector to scale up decentralized energy systems particularly mini hydro, large solar PV, productive end-uses and renewable energy financing for better linkages with enterprise development and livelihood enhancement. RERL provides technical assistance for the implementation of mini hydro and solar mini grid subprojects under the Asian Development Bank/South Asia Sub-regional Economic Cooperation (ADB/SASEC) Power Expansion Project, off-grid component being implemented by AEPC in rural areas of Nepal.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Mini Hydro Engineer (MHEng) shall be responsible for review of detail engineering design of mini hydro subprojects, design modification and update of construction drawings required at the time of construction of subprojects, construction supervision of on-going subprojects, support in bill verification with frequent site visit as per guidance of the National Project Manager. Specifically, the MH Eng. will carry out the following activities related to off-grid mini hydro subprojects:
• Review and update all engineering designs and cost estimates in the Detailed Feasibility study and Detail Engineering Design of subprojects in close coordination with the NPM and relevant experts.
• Support in implementation of approved subprojects by providing technical and procurement assistance, installation assistance, and appropriate capacity building activities.
• Prepare and update design, drawing and cost estimate of civil structural components if modification and changes occur at the time of construction.
• Undertake site visits as necessary to monitor progress and construction supervision of subprojects, support on verification of bill (Interim Payment Certificate, IPC) submitted by the contractor as per requirement in close coordination with AEPC/SASEC.
• Supervision of mini hydro subproject according to the design and drawings.
• Check and verify the drawings submitted by the contractor i.e. as built drawing of the completed subprojects are as per construction or not.
• Ensure all designs are of quality acceptable to AEPC/ADB standards, policy and guidelines.
• Ensure the quality of construction with site destructive and non-destructive tests as per required acceptable to NS and IS or equivalent standards.
• Identify and seek corrective measures for emerging problems.
• Carry out other activities to ensure the success of mini hydro subprojects.
• Ensure GESI issues are considered during design and construction of Mini-hydro projects.
• Perform any other relevant tasks as directed by the NPM.
Impacts of Results:
The work will have impact in ensuring proper oversight in construction and supervision of mini hydro subprojects especially pertaining to seamless coordination at the federal and local levels and conformity of quality standards of mini hydro construction.
• Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
• Serves and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
• Good inter-personal skills;
• Clear and upfront communication skills;
• Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
• Collaborates effectively in a team environment;
• Organized and good with following-up on pending issues; meets deadlines;
• Promote learning and knowledge management/sharing;
• Focuses on delivering results by taking calculated-risks and problem-solving approach;
• Fair and transparent decision making; regularly shares information with team members.
• Promotes sharing of knowledge and experience, and actively works towards continued learning and development on personal level as well as for supervisees;
• Good practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues;
• Ability to go beyond established procedures and models, propose new approaches which expand the range of projects;
• Demonstrates strong numerical and analytical skills;
• Has experience working with Monitoring and Evaluation tools;
• Experience in developing business plans for financial institutions including energy enterprises;
• Experience in coordination, technical assistance and advisory support top government and private institutions;
• Experienced in delivering training and other needed capacity/ institutional building support to a wide range of stakeholders including financial institutions;
• Demonstrates excellent organizational and administrative skills;
• Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate;
• Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders;
• Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
• Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
• Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
• Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda;
• Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work;
• Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
• Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration;
• Oversees and documents the process of strategy formulation for programmes at Project level.
Required Skills and Experience
• Master’s degree in hydropower, water resources or similar relevant disciplines with a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering
• 3 years of related practical experience in micro/mini/small hydro development;
• Proven experience in design and implementation of mini/small hydro related development works in Nepal;
• Experience in bigger hydropower developed by Independent Power Producers will be an added advantage.
• Proven ability in English and Nepali
• Experience in usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
• Ability to visit remote parts of the mini hydro sites in remote areas of the country on a regular basis.
12 months with probability of extension
Last date to apply: 10th July, 2020