Website World Food Programme
Logistics Associate (Food Technologist) (828199)
WFP encourages female candidates and people with disabilities to apply.
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis. We are committed to promoting diversity and the principle of equal employment opportunity for all our employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of religion or belief, ethnic or social background, gender, gender identity and disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Rice fortification is the enrichment of rice with essential vitamins and minerals post-harvesting to increase its nutritional value. People in Nepal relying on rice as a staple food, rice fortification offers a unique opportunity to substantially improve nutrition and, as such, the health and economic status of a large number of people in the country at a very low cost.
The Supply Chain Associate (Food Technologist) is a temporary position based in Rajapur, Bardiya at Food Management Trading Company Limited (FMTC) office. The job holder will be a member of the WFP Supply Chain team but will be outposted to work at the Food Management and Trading Company Limited (FMTC) Rajapur Rice Mill. The incumbent reports to WFP Food Technologist and also the Had of FMTC, Rajapur office in coordination with the WFP Supply Chain and Nutrition unit at the WFP Country Office.
The job holder is primarily responsible to assist FMTC to ensure the produced fortified rice at mill meets its quality standard as per Nepal Government requirement. Also assist in use of quality testing equipment in the mill and train the mill FMTC staff for their self-reliance. Further, incumbent needs to provide support to FMTC for fortified rice supply chain management, distribution, monitoring and reporting.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Position Title: Logistics Associate (Food Technologist)
Contract Type: Service Contract (SC)
Level: SC-6 (Equiv. to G-6)
Contract Duration:12 months (With possible renewal)
Duty Station: Rajapur, Bardiya, Nepal
Vacancy Number: 828199
Date of Publication: 17 August 2023
Deadline of Application: 30 August 2023
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the overall supervision of Head of Supply Chain and EPR and direct supervision of WFP Country Office (CO) Food Technologist, the incumbent is responsible for;
1. Support to implement the approved standard by Government of Nepal for fortified rice manufacturing adhering its published quality manual protocol in the actual operation.
2. Facilitate to ensure the procured Fortified Rice Kernel meet the Nepal Government mandatory requirement.
3. Provide practical advice and monitor the implementation of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) relating to rice fortification to strengthen capacity of the FMTC staff at Mill.
4. Assist in use of quality testing equipment in the mill and train the mill staff for their self-reliance.
5. Collect and analyze data and contribute to the preparation of reports relating to food quality and safety of Fortified Rice Kernel and/or Fortified Rice.
6. Prepare evidenced-based recommendations for senior staff on control measures to combat and reduce food quality and safety issues.
7. Support FMTC with implementation of a traceability system of fortified rice so that the FMTC would be able to recall food, if necessary
8. Support in developing and deploying a capacity strengthening plan for hygiene practices across supply chains of fortified rice.
9. Provide support during the installation and validation of equipment and materials needed for fortification and testing.
10. Support capacity building for FMTC depot level staff for efficient and effective delivery to their regular customers of fortified rice.
11. Provide support to FMTC for fortified rice supply chain management, distribution, monitoring and reporting.
12. Provide support in the food value chain study of the fortified rice.
13. Others as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area. University degree in Food Technology, Food Microbiology, Food Engineering, or related field, or First University degree in the relevant area with additional of relevant work experience is desirable.
Language: Fluency in both written and spoken English and Nepali language. Knowledge of duty station’s language is desirable.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- At least 6 years of relevant experience in overseeing food safety, quality assurance and quality control in the food manufacturing industry
- Experience of implementation of international systems, GMP, HACCP in the food manufacturing industries
- Experience in the private or government sector in areas related to food safety and quality in Nepal is advantageous.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Working Knowledge in the Supply Chain management and of food items is desirable
- Proficiency in Windows MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Knowledge of Food Value Chain
- This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job
WFP LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK: COMMON STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOUR
Leads by example with Integrity
Drives results and Delivers on commitments
Fosters inclusive and collaborative teamwork.
Applies strategic thinking
Builds and maintains sustainable partnerships
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered, interested candidates are invited to apply via (https://www.wfp.org/careers/job-openings). Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Request for Disability related Reasonable Accommodations:
It is important to WFP to create an accessible and inclusive workplace for everyone. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the selection and hiring process, please direct your request and inquiries to email@example.com. A member of the HR team responsible for reasonable accommodation will contact you to confidentially discuss your needs.
This email is only to be used for any disability related accessibility requirements and not for sending the application itself. Due to the volume of applications, any applications or CVs sent through this email address will not be considered a formal application and will not receive a reply from WFP.
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.