Website FHI 360
The Laboratory Officer is responsible for support in capacity building, technical assistance of COVID-19 and HIV testing laboratory services at district level and coordinating with National Public Health Laboratory (NPHL)/Provincial Public Health Laboratory (PPHL) for strengthening systems for quality laboratory services.
The Laboratory Officer will also provide technical assistance (TA) to FHI 360/EpiC Nepal’s implementing partners as well as TA to Government of Nepal (GoN) for COVID-19, HIV testing and infection prevention and control (IPC).
- Support COVID-19 testing service sites in coordination with NPHL/PPHL and other COVID-19 testing laboratories.
- Support in calibration/validation of PCR machines and biosafety cabinets used for COVID-19 testing
- Support in planning and implementation of biorepository of COVID-19 samples in NPHL
- Support NPHL for strengthening Genomic sequencing for COVID-19
- Support to monitor IPC, waste management practices, and compliance with an environmental mitigation and monitoring plan for EpiC Nepal supported sites
- Conduct training/orientation on IPC for EpiC Nepal partner staff and ART sites staff
- Provide support to conduct rapid assessment on COVID-19 PCR laboratories and conduct orientation on use of COVID-19 PCR laboratories for HIV VL test.
- Explore and support in finalization of COVID-19 testing sites for HIV VL testing and Coordinate with NPHL and respective PPHL to identify compatible reagents for those sites for HIV VL testing
- Support to upgrade and strengthen laboratory information system – for support and integration with the one national HIV information system (ONHIS)
- Identify and support in laboratory-related technical assistance in coordination with other members of the technical team of EpiC Nepal.
- Conduct supportive supervision and monitoring of laboratory related services in EpiC Nepal supported sites
- Support in validation of instruments used in EpiC supported service delivery sites.
- Attend coordination meetings with government, donors, partner organizations, and other stakeholders as needed.
- Assist Laboratory Specialist and Senior Procurement and Supply Chain Specialist for procurement and supply chain management for HIV and COVID-19 laboratory related laboratory reagents and consumables.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by Supervisor, Deputy Project Director, Project Director and Country Director
- Master’s in medical laboratory technology/medical microbiology/virology with least two years’ experience working in health program implementation/management or bachelor’s degree with minimum five years of relevant experience
- Experience in designing and conducting training/orientation on IPC, waste management and COVID-19 case management. Experience on genome sequencing will add value.
- Proactive and independent approach to work with willingness to undertake additional responsibilities
- Ability to perform multiple tasks, work under pressure with additional time and efforts in emergency/crisis situation
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain positive working relationships
- In addition to basic computer skills, ability to handle computer applications required for medical laboratory and bioinformatics will add value.
- Maturity and ability to maintain composure under stressful situations and tight deadlines.
- Proven ability to work efficiently and effectively in virtual/digital environment
- Excellent oral and written English skills required
- Ability to travel within Nepal 20-30 percent of the time.
Final deadline for application is 5:00 p.m. October 31, 2021.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.