Organization: Plan International Nepal
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that strives for just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been working in Nepal since 1978 to help marginalised girls and boys, their families and communities for accessing their rights to survival, development, protection, and participation. We implement programmes through local development partners in 24 districts in cooperation with the Nepal government, civil society organisations and schools.
Plan International Nepal is fully committed to the gender-responsive safeguarding of all children and young people from all forms of violence.
Plan International Nepal is seeking a Project Manager for the anticipated Norad-funded project Girls Get Equal: Preventing Child, Early and Forced Marriage (CEFM). The overall goal of the project is to reduce the prevalence of CEFM in Nepal targeting Bardiya, Jumla and Kalikot districts.
We invite application from interested and eligible candidates for the following position:
Position: Project Manager
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location : Nepalgunj Field Office (FO), Banke
Functional Area : Care and Protection, Learn and Earn, Lead and Decide
Reports to: Area Manager, Nepalgunj FO, Banke
Travel required : Frequent
Effective Date : April 2020
Term : Fixed term employment until 31st December 2024 based in Nepalgunj Field Office , Banke
Provide strategic, technical and managerial leadership for the NORAD funded “Preventing Child, Early and Forced Marriage,” an integrated components of Care and Protection, Learn and Earn, Lead and Decide.
The Project Manager based in Nepalgunj, Field Office, Banke will take overall leadership in ensuring that the Project is implemented in all 3 districts (Bardia, Jumla and Kalikot) and at Province and Federal Levels as per the design of the project. At Federal and Province levels, Project Manager will be engaged in policy dialogues and advocacy as required.
ABOUT PLAN INTERNATIONAL
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation working in more than 70 countries that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
Plan International has been working in Nepal since 1978, helping marginalised children, their families and communities to access their rights to health, education, economic security and protection. Through the support of local partners, Plan International works in 24 districts in Nepal. The main program areas in its new Country Strategy are Care and Protection, Learn and Earn, Lead and Decide including humanitarian assistance as required.
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
The Project Manager’s main responsibility is to ensure smooth, timely and quality implementation of the project. The project will be implemented in Bardia, Jumla and Kalikot districts with some influencing/advocacy related components at Province and Federal levels. S/he will be responsible for:
General: Provide strategic, technical and managerial leadership for the NORAD funded “Ending Violence against Women and Girls Project,” an integrated components of Care and Protection, Learn and Earn, Lead and Decide.
Partner Management: ensure effective project implementation, provide technical and
managerial support, and act as liaison between partner organization and Plan International Nepal on a regular basis. Where necessary provide capacity building directly or by involving the appropriate department (either technical or support)
Budget Management: ensure budgets are phased and include appropriate WBS and program codes, follow up with BvA and transaction reports on bi-weekly/monthly basis to ensure adequate burn rate aligning with the time spend.
Staff Management / Coordination: Coordinate and hold regular review meetings across sectors and projects to avoid duplication of effort and to keep all key staff up to date. Ensure staffing is appropriate to reach project goals and their Level of Effort (LOE) is coded appropriately per the budget.
Representation: Work with local, Province and Federal levels government and other agencies, as relevant, to ensure Plan is compliant with all requirements. Ensure Plan’s voice is heard at relevant forums
MER: Ensure proper M&E plan, data base and Quality Benchmarks are in place, understood and being used.
Reporting: Ensure donor/NO/ Plan reports meet time and quality standards
Coordination and Networking: Liaise and coordinate with stakeholders, implementing partners and the government to maximize the results intended through this project.
In close coordination with Head of Thematic and Specialists (Care and Protection, Learn and Earn, Lead and Decide) and Program Coordinators the incumbent will ensure timely, high quality and results oriented program plans including strong monitoring systems are developed and applied at all levels in order to ensure all deliverables are completed on time.
Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Plan values.
Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
Planning & Budgeting
• Leads the planning processes and ensures partners have annual detailed implementation plan including realistic phased budget outlining major activities and timeline for the funds allocated in required planning templates provided by the Organization/NO/Donor.
• Ensures appropriate fund allocation and expenditure on a monthly basis and take corrective measures by revisiting plans and communicating timely with Supervisor and project team.
• Reviews the project’s BvA and transaction reports and report on any glitches identified.
• Coordinates with district teams including Heads of Thematic to design a robust field visit plan, self-assessments and monitoring systems including follow up on recommendations with relevant department and impact areas.
• Leads the revision of budgets during budget forecast and on exchange rate fluctuations as per organizational procedures.
• Coordinates with Heads of Thematic for technical assistance as required.
Programme Delivery & Management
• Ensures programmatic and financial accountability including tracking of program progress and budget expense in the use of funds and achievement of all related projects.
• Supports and is responsible for the partnership in terms of compliance, zero tolerance, audits and management response, identification of capacity gaps and recommends for improvements.
Documentation & Reporting
• Is responsible for timely and quality reports preparation, reviewed and submit to BD team as per the reporting schedule in prescribed template.
• Coordinates with Heads of Thematic including MER team, to ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and documentation of program activities and best practices.
• Take initiatives in generating information that are required to add values in on-going programmes or for the programmes visualized for future.
• Ensure proper documentation of the project including and not limited to learning, lessons learned, best practices, case studies, in coordination with Communication department.
Representation and Networking
• Collaboration and coordination with government counterparts, external development partners and donors at various levels.
• Is part of relevant various level of networks and coalitions and ensures networks is well represented as necessary.
• Supports program areas to build strong networks with other NGOs, CSOs, UN agencies and Government line agencies working on children’s/Girl’s issues to promote coordination and resource sharing at the Palikas/districts/province level.
• Supervises and provides guidance to the focal persons in different themes in the planning, implementation and monitoring of programs and project plan as per the given guidelines.
• Ensures that the programs have quality benchmarks in place and is exclusively followed at all levels.
• Ensures the M&E plan of the project is well familiar and understood by staff and partner staff of related themes, is exclusively used and reported.
• Ensures that all action plans developed after project reviews, evaluations and assessments are followed up and completed by respective themes on time.
• Identifies strengths and improvement areas of staff members and partners for quality delivery of the projects and comes up with plans to improve such gaps
• Ensures that data is well optimized for all themes at all levels – by partners, project team in in Field Offices and regular update is done
• Ensures incorporation of the cross cutting issues in our interventions.
Innovation and Scale
• Identifies best practices, problems and issues around program implementation and works toward finding solutions for improvements, documenting, disseminating and in consultation with relevant departments and themes
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
The position holder will have to work with Heads of Program (Care and Protection, Learn and Earn, Lead and Decide) Influencing and Communication Departments, Gender Specialist, Business Development team, Plan’s Partner and externals.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Educational Qualifications and work experience
• Master’s Degree in development-related field, preferably Human Rights, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Gender & Development, Political Science, and Public Policy Administration.
• At least 6 years of job experience in related field especially in a managerial role including grants management
• Experience in rights-based approaches to development. Experience engaging with governments and/or multilateral institutions.
• Understanding of the structures, processes and trends in the Nepal political system.
• Good understanding of the processes by which you achieve policy change and conducting power and political analysis.
• Capacity to produce evidence-based robust position as required.
• Demonstrable strength in organising events.
• Good understanding of the national and international environment on development trend.
• Commitment to Plan’s goals, mission, values and approach including the ability to lead on safeguarding and child protection matters where necessary.
• Experience of working for an international organisation
• Good written and verbal English and Nepali skills.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, a variety of team members and external contacts, through good written and spoken communication skills
• Good interpersonal skills for team working in multi-lingual and multi-cultural environment.
• Demonstrably strong verbal and written communication, presentation and persuasion skills.
• Ability to plan work and meet deadlines when working under pressure on a number of projects.
• Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and be innovative, set priorities, manage work plans and evaluate progress.
• Strategic, analytical, negotiation skill and decision making skills.
• Able to create linkages, networking, lobbying and advocating with relevant stakeholders.
• Good awareness and analysis of sensitivities attached with the government functionaries.
• Ability to articulate the vision of Plan’s programme to different audiences.
• Demonstrable professional maturity and able to work independently.
• Ability to apply good judgment and professionalism in the resolution of work related problems
• Honest, encourages openness and transparency
• Efficient in meeting commitments and deadlines in achieving results.
• Ability to plan and organize work by identifying priority activities and adjusting priorities as required.
• Demonstrated approach to work that is characterized by commitment, motivation, energy and flexibility.
• Ability to relate to government authorities, UN agencies, and other development/humanitarian actors and to build a rapport effectively.
• Continually assessing the external policy and advocacy landscape and adjusting strategy and activities as needed.
• Commitment to Plan’s values including the rights and needs of children.
PLAN INTERNATIONAL’S VALUES IN PRACTICE
We are open and accountable
• Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
• Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
• Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
• Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
• Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
• Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
• Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
• Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
• Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
• Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
• Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
• Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
• Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
• We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
• We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
• We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
• Based in Nepalgunj FO, Banke, with travel to programme districts/area office as required.
• Able to work in difficult circumstances
• Work with multi-culture and multi-lingual staff/team members
LEVEL OF CONTACT WITH CHILDREN
Mid contact: Occasional interaction with children
“Say Yes ! To Keeping Children and Young People Safe and Protected”
Last date to apply: 23 February 2020
HOW TO APPLY