Website International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Position Title: Laboratory Technologist (Technician)
Duty Station: Kathmandu, Nepal
Type of Appointment: One Year Fixed Term, with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 04 September 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract and staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP).
United Nations- International Organization for Migration is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture amongst others. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups are encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
United Nations, International Organization for Migration has a zero-tolerance against Sexual exploitation and Abuse (SEA) and sexual harassment (SH). Everyone is responsible for preventing sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA), and all UN personnel must adhere to the standards of conduct that preserves PSEA principles (both during work hours and outside work hours). All selected candidates will, therefore, go through a safe hiring process.
Under the overall supervision of Chief Migration Health Physician in Nepal and under the direct supervision of Senior Lab Technician in Kathmandu, and laboratory supervisor in Kathmandu, Nepal. The incumbent will assist in providing laboratory services for the Medical Processing Unit. After being trained by Senior Lab Technician, the incumbent will be assigned the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Perform laboratory procedures as assigned by the laboratory supervisor for pre-examination, examination and post-examination activities through the use of the standard relevant equipment.
- Ensure standards and the quality of laboratory procedures by strictly following the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Adhere to bio-safety measures adopted in the laboratory, minding the safety of oneself and others.
- Organize and operates activities on assigned station for accurate, efficient and timely delivery of results.
- Perform quality control activities for assigned stations and document results as required.
- Facilitate in maintenance of laboratory equipment in good working order and operate equipment appropriately following SOPs.
- Facilitate in laboratory stock management and monitor that the equipment and consumables are sufficient for the anticipated work.
- Facilitate to maintenance of established system of organized record keeping and information management for timely delivery of results, data collection, analysis and reporting for laboratory monitoring and facilitation to operational research.
- Participate in the development and updating of SOPs as needed.
- Participate in the improvement of service system according to adopted work plan in the laboratory.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Lab Technology from accredited Institution with 2 years of relevant work experience. Or,
- Diploma Degree in Medical Lab Technology with 4 years of relevant work experience.
- Registered in Nepal Health Professional Council
- At least tertiary education background in Medical Laboratory Techniques, including experience in Tuberculosis laboratories.
- Experience in HIV and Syphilis serology testing desirable.
- Ability to work independently and analytically under time constraints.
- Capacity to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied professional and culture backgrounds.
- Able to operate fully automated biochemistry analyzers and work independently in biochemistry laboratory.
- Ability and willingness to working difficult areas/situations and conditions.
- Advance knowledge and understanding of computerized information including MS office programs.
Fluency in English, Nepali is required.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural
differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes
responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment. Only Nepali Nationals will be considered for this position.
How to apply:
Interested Candidates are requested to submit their application indicating clearly the position applied, VN number and CV with three references to the following address: Human Resource Department, International Organization for Migration, P.O. Box 25503, Baluwatar, Kathmandu or email to email@example.com by 04 September 2023. Only short-listed candidates will be called for interview.
Posting period: From 22.08.2023 to 04.09.2023