Organization: Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
Position: Cluster Technical Specialist – Monitoring and Evaluation
Organizational Unit: FANEP
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Various Locations
Duration: 12 months (extendable)
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger. FAO helps developing countries in transition modernize and improve agriculture including livestock, forestry, and fisheries practices, ensuring good nutrition and food security for all. Upon request from the Government of Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal, the FAO has agreed to provide technical assistance for the execution of the Food and nutrition Security Enhancement Project (FANSEP), UTF/NEP/077/NEP from July 2019 to June, 2023. The project is implemented by Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Development.
FAO Technical Assistance to FANSEP will contribute to achieve the project development objective: improved agricultural productivity and nutrition practices of targeted smallholder farming communities in selected areas of Nepal
Under the direct supervision of the Project M&E Specialist and operational supervision of the Team Leader, the Cluster Technical Officer (CTO) M&E will primarily be responsible for effective planning and quality monitoring of food and nutrition-related activities of the project. He/she will supervise the activities and provide guidance to the field-based project staff as appropriate.
The Cluster technical officer- M&E will support in effective planning and quality monitoring of food and nutrition-related activities of the respective clusters. He/she will supervise the activities and provide guidance to the field-based project staff as appropriate. The CTO-M&E will spend considerable time in the field supporting, providing technical backstopping and monitoring the field-level staff work, farmer groups, mothers’ groups and other beneficiaries of the project for effective implementation and timely reporting of project interventions as well as ensuring the integration of nutrition and ES safeguards aspects in agricultural interventions. The CTO-M&E will coordinate with other CTOs in the clusters and concerned stakeholders at rural municipality level for coordinated efforts for timely recording and reporting.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Consultant will be responsible for the following tasks:
• Support in establishing robust Monitoring and Evaluation System for the project at Rural Municipality and Cluster level
• Facilitate specified cluster teams for effective and robust planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of project interventions at cluster level and field level
• Work closely with the staff at the municipality and cluster level to set up and implement group and community-level monitoring and evaluation systems including those related to Farmer Filed School (FFS), Nutrition Field School (NFS) and Farmer Business School (FBS) process and follow-up support programmes in connection with the local-level institutions such as ward, municipality and province level
• Provide training to different stakeholders at cluster and rural municipality level on the use of indicators, data collection activities, reporting and information management
• Build capacity of project and counterpart staff on monitoring, supervision and report writing for different project activities
• Assist in analyzing information on agreed output indicators (e.g. production and marketing, and public and private-sector activities, nutrition practices) and include them as a part of the monitoring system
• Facilitate in harmonizing the project monitoring and evaluation system with existing sectoral M&E system for effective management decisions at province and rural municipality level
• Assist in the implementation of data collection, storing and monitoring of reporting formats and institutionalize them at province, municipality and ward levels
• Support the implementation of baseline line surveys (type of data, questionnaires, sampling size, statistical analysis) at the beginning of the programme to collect all needed data for measuring progress and impact achieved during the baseline, mid-term and final evaluations
• Supervise reporting of all programme activities in the assigned municipalities and processing of the reports in databases and progress reports
• Provide technical assistance and supervise development of programme database(s) and, when ready, assist and supervise data entry and management of programme database
• Conduct/initiate studies to document implementation and impact of different programme approaches and collect success stories
• Ensure timely data collection, analysis and reporting on key programme indicators on periodic basis to plan and implement interventions based on data and gaps identified
• Prepare technical reports as may be required or requested and prepare an end-of-assignment report
• Submit a work plan and monthly progress report as per the format developed by the project.
• Undertake any other work as assigned by the M&E Specialist and the Team Leader pertaining to project with focus to project monitoring and evaluation
• As a Cluster Coordinator, take responsibility for the day-to-day management of the programme in the respective programme cluster and coordination of planning, implementation supervision of activities to ensure efficient provision of both administrative and technical support services at municipality level
• Supervise and manage the portfolio of subcontracts at cluster level
• Participate in district working groups of institutions, programmes and initiatives active in the respective project clusters on providing support to farmers to improve nutrition and agriculture production
• Facilitate exchange of information between Agriculture Extension and Nutrition Extension Government teams at cluster and municipality level and with other implementing partners as well
• Ensure effective and functional coordination and communication among the team at cluster level
• Ensure the consideration of safeguard and GESI aspects while performing the aforementioned tasks particularly in data collection, monitoring and reporting.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• National of Nepal
• Advanced University (Master) Degree in Agriculture Economics, Statistics or any related field with a background in Agriculture and Food Security or Rural Development
• Five Years of relevant experience in the design and establishment of monitoring and evaluation system in the field of agriculture, livestock and nutrition development programs with knowledge for the design of indicators, database system and reporting
• Having experience of working with multi-disciplinary team will have an advantage
• Working knowledge of English, Nepali and local language
• Knowledge of computer skills (MS Office package: word, excel and power point) and M&E database management
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Experience and in-depth knowledge in the design and establishment of M&E system (database management and MIS)
• Proven experiences in in the design, monitoring and reporting of project indicators
• Working experience in Food and nutrition security programs
• Capacity building of field staff and concerned stakeholders on project M&E system, data collection/reporting
• Extent of relevant technical experience in the areas mentioned above
• Having experience of working with multi-disciplinary team
• Good working knowledge of English, especially on written
• Experience in design and establishment of M&E system in agriculture, livestock, food security and nutrition programs
• Knowledge of planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of government, international agencies and UN system will be added advantage
Last date to apply: 10 September 2019
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org