Website Feminist Dalit Organization
Location: MoIAL, Lumbini Province, Dang
Job Type: Full Time (75% Province based, 25% NDRRMA/FEDO Nepal based)
Reports to: FEDO Executive Director, NHSRP National Technical Coordinator- Government Engagement with technical reporting to CRS DHoP.
Feminist Dalit Organization (FEDO) is a pioneer organization in Nepal to advocate Dalit rights and women’s rights simultaneously. FEDO envisions a just and equitable society and puts Dalit women at the core of its all initiatives. Its actions are dedicated to economic empowerment, human rights and access to justice, leadership development, inclusive governance and social justice, and gender-responsive humanitarian assistance for Dalits, women, and the most vulnerable population in Nepal. Its organizational presence has expanded to 56 districts and all seven provinces of Nepal. FEDO has also been working with national and international networks and platforms for women and Dalits. Now, FEDO is going to support implementing the EMPOWER project – GEDSI Strategic Action Plan mainstreaming in partnership with the National Housing and Settlements Resilience Platform (NHSRP) and CRS Nepal in Lumbini Province of Nepal.
The National Housing and Settlements Resilience Platform (NHSRP) is a platform that emerged as the successor to the Housing Recovery and Reconstruction Platform (HRRP), which was launched in December 2015. HRRP was initially established to coordinate post-earthquake housing reconstruction efforts, taking over this role from the Nepal Shelter Cluster. As the recovery and reconstruction efforts evolved, the Nepal Shelter Cluster reverted to its preearthquake format as a standing cluster. The National Reconstruction Authority (NRA), which was tasked with overseeing Nepal’s post-earthquake recovery and reconstruction efforts following the devastating earthquakes of 2015, completed its mandated period in December 2021.
Subsequently, the NRA transferred the responsibilities of HRRP to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority (NDRRMA). This transition aimed to enhance coordination functions with various government entities, especially the Ministry of Urban Development (MoUD), as well as international and non-governmental organizations (I/NGOs) that were actively involved in supporting the reconstruction of earthquake-affected households and implementing multidisaster housing recovery and reconstruction projects across the country.
NHSRP with its ambitious vision for the year 2030, seeks to foster collaboration among partners and support strengthening government capacity and other relevant stakeholders to achieve future recovery objectives. This is achieved through the integration of long-term resilience and preparedness actions, aligning with the mandate of the NDRRMA. All support provided by NHSRP is geared towards building the capacity of the NDRRMA, provincial governments, and local governments in advancing their disaster risk management activities, in accordance with the Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Act 2074 and the Disaster Risk Reduction National Strategic Plan of Action 2018-2030.
Under the EMPOWER Project, FEDO and NHSRP collaborate closely with the NDRRMA to enhance its capacity in various priority areas identified through comprehensive capacity assessments. One of the key areas of support under the EMPOWER Project is Gender Equality, Disability, and Social Inclusion (GEDSI). FEDO and NHSRP have actively assisted the NDRRMA in the development and finalization of a strategic action plan dedicated to GEDSI. This strategic action plan is in the process of obtaining official endorsement. The role associated with this position is critical in advocating for and facilitating the endorsement process of the GEDSI strategic action plan at the national level. However, it’s important to note that the successful implementation of this strategic plan is equally significant at the provincial and local levels. Therefore, FEDO and NHSRP, through the EMPOWER Project, are taking the initiative to pilot the GEDSI strategic action plan in the Lumbini province and across three municipalities during the first year of implementation.
In summary, the job description for this position is closely aligned with the broader goals and activities of FEDO, NHSRP, and Empower, particularly in the context of enhancing disaster risk management, promoting gender equality, disability inclusion, and social inclusion, and driving the effective implementation of strategic plans at various levels of governance.
The GEDSI Coordinator within the Feminist Dalit Organization (FEDO), National Housing and Settlements Resilience Platform (NHSRP) holds a pivotal role in localizing gender equality, diversity, and social inclusion (GEDSI) initiatives on DRRM. The primary responsibilities include advocating for the endorsement of the GEDSI strategic action plan at the national level, working closely with FEDO, NHSRP, and NDRRMA to develop GEDSI localization guidelines, and providing technical support to provincialand local government entities to develop GEDSI-related policies/guidelines and roll out.
1. Work with NDRRMA, and the GEDSI task force to facilitate the GEDSI strategic plan of action endorsement by the NDRRMA Executive Committee.
2. Lead and facilitate quarterly GEDSI Technical Working Group meetings to promote dialogue, knowledge sharing, and coordination among stakeholders, while also disseminating and integrating GEDSI best practices and lessons learned into ongoing initiatives.
3. Co-facilitate the development and endorsement of GEDSI Localization Guidelines for the Strategic Action Plan by NDRRMA, and ensure their effective implementation in Lumbini Province and three municipalities.
4. Develop, promote, and collaborate with NDRRMA and provincial government to endorse, implement, and ensure the integration of GEDSI-sensitive Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) and Complaints Response Mechanism (CRM) Checklists into all relevant DRRM activities.
5. Provide technical support to the relevant provincial ministry on developing GEDSI-related policy/guideline based on the National Strategic Action Plan.
6. Maintain comprehensive records of all GEDSI-related activities, including reports and outcomes, and regularly prepare and deliver updates and reports to stakeholders and partners as necessary to ensure transparency and accountability.
7. Foster strong partnerships with relevant governmental agencies, non-governmental organizations, and provincial and local stakeholders to enhance the impact and sustainability of GEDSI initiatives.
8. Ensure that the GEDSI action plan and corresponding budget for the provincial and local levels are included in their respective annual plans for the upcoming fiscal year, thereby ensuring ongoing commitment and allocation of resources to DRRM GEDSI initiatives. Collaborates with the Provincial ministry and NDRRMA to identify GEDSI focal points at the Provincial level.
9. Lead the integration of GEDSI principles into disaster risk management at Lumbini province through planning and reflection meetings with the Provincial Government. Conduct KAP surveys and policy gap assessments to identify areas requiring GEDSI strengthening within provincial policies and initiatives.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Gender Studies, Social Sciences, Development Studies, or other relevant fields required
- At least 3 years of experience on GEDSI/GESI integration or mainstream projects.
- Strong understanding of gender equality, diversity, and social inclusion principles and their application in development projects.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with local context and issues related to gender and social inclusion in the province.
- Previous experience working in similar roles or on GEDSI-related projects.
- Knowledge of relevant national, provincial, and local policies and regulations.
- Experience in project management and coordination.
- Able to clearly communicate in written and spoken English.
- Proficiency in local languages or dialects.
- Must be able to travel to the districts in Lumbini Province and NHSRP working areas (50% travel required)
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to make sound judgments and decisions
- Very good planning, coordination, monitoring, and organizational skills
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
- Capacity to work in a complex work environment handling multiple demands concurrently
- At least 50% travel to the field
- 25% at the National level
Key working relationships: Internal- FEDO Nepal, NHSRP Lumbini Team, NHSRP Team, CRSDHoP, CRS-Meal Officer
External- GEDSI Technical Working Group members, Lumbini Province MoIAL, Province ministries, NDRRMA
Supervisor responsibility: NA
Interested candidates are invited to submit their updated CV (max 4 pages) with references, and cover letter (max 1 page) mentioning minimum salary expectation by 27 October 2023 via email to email@example.com. Please indicate the position that you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
Dalit Women/Youth candidates from Lumbini Province are highly encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for written test and interview. Telephone inquiries will not be entertained.
FEDO reserves all the rights to select and inform an appropriate candidate. For further information about FEDO, please visit our website: www.fedonepal.org