Website Habitat for Humanity Nepal
Habitat for Humanity International Nepal’s vision is a world where everyone has a decent place to live. Habitat for Humanity operates as part of an international network with a common objective of reducing poverty and eliminating substandard housing and homelessness from the world. Habitat for Humanity International Nepal holds the subcontractor status of DAI’s Tayar Nepal project to recruit and mobilize human resources in field offices and eight partner municipalities. The position will be hired by and contracted under Habitat for Humanity International Nepal and work full-time with Tayar Nepal Team.
Tayar Nepal – Improved Disaster Risk Management Project is a USAID Nepal funded project, implemented by DAI. Tayar Nepal is strengthening the capacity of Nepal’s national and municipal institutions responsible for disaster preparedness and response. Tayar Nepal will build the capacity of national and local level systems. Tayar Nepal supports eight municipalities to develop risk-sensitive land use plans and implementation of technical assistance packages to improve disaster preparedness and resilience of the communities. In the event of a disaster over the five-year life of Tayar Nepal, USAID/Nepal may engage the project’s rapid emergency response mechanism. Tayar Nepal works closely with the Government of Nepal and municipalities with the support of its sub-contractors and resource partners to implement activities.
Position: Field Engineer
Duration: Through June 2022 (Extendable if funding and need permits)
Reports to: Kathmandu based Engineer
Duty Station: Position is based in Rajapur, Bardiya and responsible for Rajapur and Tulsipur and support Lamkichuha and Godawari with frequent visits to other project municipalities as per the need of the project.
No. of Position: 1
Core Function of the position:
The Field Engineer is responsible for designing and implementing disaster mitigation interventions; and supporting national building code implementation in close consultation with municipality leaders, technicians, and DRR focal person.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take the lead in the feasibility study, site selection, detailed design and implementation of disaster risk reduction and mitigation related construction work under Tayar Nepal in responsible municipalities
- Ensure environmental and social safeguards and compliance of construction-related projects.
- Conduct municipal level consultations to assess, identify, prioritize and design Tayar assistance packages – disaster mitigation interventions
- Develop detailed scope of work for Tayar assistance packages that will include appropriate staffing, budget, work plan, and vendor requirements
- Oversee implementation of Technical Assistance packages to ensure quality control and reporting in coordination with the Tayar Nepal team. Track, document, and monitor project progress within the municipality. (in coordination with Field Officer and supervisor).
- Coordinate with the municipality and partners to implement the national building code in the municipality.
- Support to conduct municipal level capacity building and training activities to technicians and municipal staff
- Support to develop municipal level DRR Policy and DRRM plans if necessary, coordinate with Field Officer and Tayar Technical team.
- Support Tayar Nepal Sub-contractor and consulting firm in developing Risk Sensitive Land Use Plan and preparing Planning Regulations and Building Bylaws.
- Support coordination with municipal bodies for the endorsement and approval processes of RSLUP outputs.
- Support to integrate disaster mitigation projects in the municipal annual work plan.
- Support Tayar’s twining municipalities and provide technical/advisory support as and when needed.
- Support Tayar Grantees, sub-contractor, partners, consultants to undertake their municipal level activities
- Provide technical support to municipalities to implement building codes.
- Other duties requested by direct supervisor.
Reporting, Coordination, and Location
- The Field Engineer is hired under Habitat for Humanity International Nepal, reports to Kathmandu Based Engineer, and works closely with Tayar Technical Team.
- The Field Engineer works closely with the DRR focal person, Municipality Planning Officer, Municipality Engineer, Sub-Overseer and technical personnel to ensure smooth and effective implementation of Tayar’s activities in the municipality.
- The position is based in the assigned municipality with frequent travel to the field within the duty station and other Tayar Nepal partner municipality, twining municipalities (Ghorahi and Madhuban as and when required) and to Tayar Nepal Office (Kathmandu and Nepalgunj).
Knowledge and Skills:
- Results-driven with good interpersonal skills, speaking and writing skills in English and Nepali.
- Able to work effectively in cross-cultural settings; can support, negotiate, and cooperate with other cultures.
- Proven ability to proactively manage workloads and multiple priorities efficiently and with minimal supervision.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher)
- Proficient in basic computer software, including engineering (AutoCAD and SAP) and basic GIS tools.
Education Qualification, Professional Experience:
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in civil engineering
- At least five years of field experience, including relevant work in disaster risk reduction and management.
- Experience in engineering field surveys, quantity surveys, estimation, small infrastructure and building design, construction supervision, and other engineering-related works.
- Prior experience with good networking in the respective municipality is most preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with municipalities, local communities, vulnerable and most vulnerable groups, civil society, and other stakeholders.
In accordance with its foundational mission principles, Habitat for Humanity International is committed to the highest ethical standards and opposes all forms of discrimination, exploitation, and abuse. Our intent is to create and maintain a work and life environment that is safe, productive, and respectful for our colleagues and for all we serve.
Habitat for Humanity International Nepal is an equal opportunity organization. Women, persons with disabilities, marginalized and disadvantage communities and local candidates are encouraged to apply
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further steps in recruitment. Habitat for Humanity International Nepal reserves the right to accept or reject any applications without assigning any reasons whatsoever.
Source: Annapurna Post, 16th December 2021
To apply for this job please visit merojob.com.