Organization: Plan International
Position: Emergency Response Manager
Number of Vacancies: 1
Job Location: Country Office, Kathmandu
Functional Area : Program
Reports to : Director of Partner Management and Impact
Travel required : Districts with emergency response projects
Effective Date : 1st July 2020
Grade : D2
Type : Fixed term employment for 11 months from the day of employment based in Country Office
ABOUT PLAN INTERNATIONAL
Plan International is a development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We strive for a just world, working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners in over 75 countries. Our programs are underpinned by a core of defined values, including transparency and accountability, team collaboration, inclusion and integration, as well as the overall ambition to empower girls and young women as legacy.
Plan International has been working in Nepal since 1978 and developed a strong reputation as a respected development and humanitarian actor helping marginalised children, their families and communities to access their rights to health, education, economic security and protection. Through the support of local partners, Plan International works in 24 districts in Nepal.
Plan International Nepal has a vision for 2030 as “an inclusive, just and safe society where all girls and young women enjoy their rights and live in freedom”. This is coupled with the ambition of taking action so that 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive as “Girls and young women in all of their diversity reach their full potential as equal and active citizens” by 2023. The country strategy is put into action through the implementation of three interrelated program areas defined as follows:
LEARN: the “Education and Skills and Opportunities for Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship (SOYEE)” program aims to assist vulnerable and excluded girls and young women in adapting and thriving in a changing climate;
LEAD AND DECIDE: the “Youth as Active Drivers of Change and Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR)” program aims to empower girls and young women in leading change, having control over their bodies and making informed decisions; and
THRIVE: the “Early Childhood Development (ECD), Child Protection and Child Poverty” program enhances vulnerable and excluded children, especially girls, to be valued and cared for without discrimination, fear and any forms of violence.
Plan international Nepal seeks candidates who practice feminist leadership, promote diversity, actively seek innovative solutions for problems, courageously and respectfully share their opinions and ideas, break down barriers and engender cross-department collaboration, practice active listening, maintain confidentiality, build trust and are passionate about children’s rights and equality for girls.
Plan International is responding to the COVID-19 crisis in Nepal through a multi-sector and multi-donor funded program. We are recruiting an Emergency Response Manager to oversee and lead that program delivery.
Plan International Nepal’s country strategy is designed to address the specific needs of girls, boys, women and men affected by disasters putting special emphasis on gender equality in a way that it contributes to the resilience of the communities in a long run. Plan International Nepal is currently responding to the COVID-19 crisis with the aim of contributing to the prevention of the transmission of COVID-19 and reducing the social impact and prevent long-term harm within the most vulnerable groups including girls, women and children with disabilities in Nepal.
The Emergency Response Manager (ERM) will be responsible for working closely with Technical Advisors, Area Offices, support departments and implementing partners as a strategic and technical guide to ensure quality assurance of project interventions, as well as meeting the compliance requirements of donors and Plan International.
S/He will be fully responsible for the overall implementation, coordination and reporting of the projects under emergency response program ensuring the quality and timely delivery of the project activities maintaining highest technical quality according to the objectives and approach in the project document, fund agreement document and to the satisfaction of project stakeholders. S/he will be accountable for the quality implementation of the above in alignment with Plan’s global strategies/standards and Country Strategy. S/he will be working closely with the area office team, CO team, ER team while planning and implementing the project activities. S/He will technically lead implementation of all projects including planning, M&E, financial management, procurement and knowledge management in close guidance of the Director of program delivery.
S/he is responsible to achieve a rights-based, gender transformative and inclusive program. S/He will also support on influence work approach in program implementation, ensuring efficient technical support to partner NGOs. S/he is accountable for supporting the innovation and ensuring lessons learnt are constantly integrated in program interventions, thus continuously improving efficiency and effectiveness at Field level. S/he also leads the networking and advocacy in coordination with area managers and the technical heads. S/he will also be responsible for organizing, facilitating and coordinating trainings on the same interventions for capacity building of partner staffs.
Dimensions of the Role
The ERM will be the lead of COVID-19 response team and other emergency response programs in case of new emergencies. S/he will be a budget holder and have to monitor and manage the budget under her/his portfolio. The position works in close coordination and support of the Cash Specialist/focal person, Protection Technical Advisor, SBCC Specialist, Senior Technical Advisor-WASH, the Gender Specialist and other relevant sectoral leads. The position will work with the Grants and Compliance Manager to ensure that the reporting requirements have been met timely and the proper external communication have been done. This is a managerial position responsible for ensuring the implementation of the ERP
• Budget accountability: Euro 1 million (approximate)
• Internal and External interfaces
• Design and Develop strategy/framework
• Ensure all the projects under emergency response program are gender aware and those longer than 6 months are gender transformative and inclusive
• Ensure the proper context specific adoptive management during emergency response planning for the anticipated potential external factor such as; monsoon floods, landslides, water borne diseases etc.
• Ensure that the emergency response projects contributes towards community resilience
• Ensure that the emergency response program adhere to the country strategy, cluster standards, humanitarian principles and standards, DRRM policies and strategic action plan.
• Ensure that the COVID-19 recovery plan revised/updated to address the changing vulnerabilities and the context incorporating the learnings from ongoing response.
• Incorporate innovation and new ways of creating positive change for children and young people through program and influencing; and
• Identify, develop and disseminate tools, guidelines and standards for the implementation of effective emergency response work within the organization.
• Ensure project cycle is followed including kick off meetings, drafting of project outlines, implementation of activities in all projects associated with emergency response. Prepare Detail Implementation Plan (DIP) and Project Outlines (POs) and provide technical backstopping to project implementing partner(s) in line with approved DIP and PO. Develop a realistic, prioritized, result-based budget plan & budget forecast.
• Review Partners proposal/ provide feedback and do correction as needed
• Review the projects periodically and ensure project objectives are achieved effectively.
• Review project documents and progress report to ensure activities carried out are of quality and implemented punctually.
• Identify risks and challenges in the project implementation, management and provide solution to achieve project goal / results.
• Identify the training needs/gap of the plan and partner staff and provide/recommend training plans to develop their technical expertise.
• Knowledge management through, sharing good practice, lessons learned
• Conduct regular reviews of budgets and work plans to ensure compliance with donor specific requirements and address any changes to the original plan in time.
• Develop and submit reports on time as outlined in the project agreement
• Work with MER team to ensure that the CEA component well integrated in the emergency response program implementation.
• Develop SOP for partner and ensure that SOPs are followed and compliances are maintained at Plan and the partners following no-harm principles.
• A risk matrix is developed for both and partner and mitigation measures are in place; the risk matrix is periodically reviewed.
Monitoring and supervision
• Ensure an approved M&E framework and relevant tools are in place and shared with the project staff members for utilisation.
• Ensure that partner staff members are oriented on the project’s M&E framework and adapted for monitoring and progress tracking of interventions.
• Ensure effective project monitoring by taking necessary corrective actions that are being followed up and reviewed periodically
• Undertake field monitoring visits (desktop monitoring in case of movement restriction) and report performance against established schedules and targets
• Review the data/information provided by Monitoring, Evaluation and Research (MER) specialist, provide input and make effective monitoring plan.
• Work closely with the MER team at Country Office to ensure that implementation of the activities is done in line with M&E requirements. This include ensuring that links exist with reporting requirements, data management, documentation of best practices, case studies and learning and as set out in plan/log frame.
• Proactively seek out opportunities for funding, investigating and developing innovative and creative new relationships in humanitarian response;
• Work in collaboration with the Business Development Team and NO on proposal design and budget allocation.
Working in Partnership
• Collaborate with the Director of Partner Management and Impact, Field Offices and strategic partners to achieve program quality as per Program Quality Policy and comply with all partnerships obligations;
• Critically evaluate partner’s capacity in terms of capacity for effective project delivery; and
• Responsible for the design of a training plan to enhance the Partner’s capacity and monitor it regularly in coordination with Field Implementation and Partnership Manager.
• Provide technical support and feedback to program staff both at CO and field, CBO, NGOs, R/Municipality and other concerned individuals to ensure quality design, accountability and implementation of the project activities.
Advocacy & Influencing
• Provide leadership to develop priority national campaigns ensuring harmonization with global priority campaigns in collaboration with the Director of Influencing, Campaigns and Communications;
• Lead sectoral networking and representation and build relationships and alliances with relevant networks, government bodies, federations and other agencies;
• Lead evidence-based lobby and advocacy within the sectoral program and work closely with the Director of Influencing, Campaigns &
• Communication in planning and delivering campaigning and advocacy work and ensure that programme plans include influencing objectives; and
• Coordinate the production of briefing papers, policy position and public communication materials.
• Represent Plan in relevant committees, professional networks and mechanism to maintain organisation’s professional image.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
Knowledge and Experience
• Master’s Degree in relevant field with 2-3 years of proven experience preferred or Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant sector with 4-5 years of demonstrated experience working in a senior position leading, advising or managing humanitarian/emergency response program portfolio;
• Demonstrated experience in emergency response/recovery related program management including program design, implementation and evaluation and resource management;
• In depth practical knowledge of inter disciplinary development issues affecting children, women and families;
• Demonstrated experience in successfully using key influencing strategies such as advocacy, lobbying, movement building, or policy development;
• Experienced in carrying out power, policy and political analysis to inform strategies and projects
• Proven experience of managing team, budgets and other management domains
• Work experience on local level partnership/coordination
• Ability to work in tight deadlines, under pressure, and multi-tasking environment;
• Proven experience of managing team, budgets and other management domains
• Demonstrated analytical, strategic thinking and negotiating skills;
• Strong communication, coordination and negotiation skills;
• Demonstrated ability to build positive and trustworthy relations for influencing;
• Experience in managing time and resource constraints;
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English and Nepali in order to communicate complex and technical information to technical and general audiences; and
• Proven IT skills: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint etc.
• Based in Country Office, Lalitpur with travel to project areas;
• Ability to work in challenging environments and circumstances (remote, disaster areas, etc.); and
• Work with multi-culture and multi-lingual staff/team members.
Level of contact with children
• Mid contact: Occasional interaction with children.
Say Yes ! To Keeping Children and Young people safe and Protected.
Last date to apply: 5 July 2020