Website European Commission’s Directorate General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO)
The European Commission’s Directorate General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) funds relief operations for victims of natural disasters and conflicts outside the European Union. For humanitarian aid, the Commission works with about 200 operational partners, including United Nations agencies, the Red Cross/Crescent movement and non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Humanitarian Aid is channelled impartially, straight to victims, regardless of their race, ethnic group, religion, gender, age, nationality or political affiliation.
ECHO Nepal office announces a position for a Driver for its office based in Kathmandu. This position is open to nationals and other residents of Nepal with valid work and residence permits.
DG ECHO applies a policy of equal opportunities. Our recruitment policy is based on respect of diversity, maintaining the gender balance, as well as the balance between professional and private life, and support for training and developments opportunities.
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons.
The jobholder drives the office vehicle for transporting authorised personnel and delivery/collection of mail, documents and other items for the DG ECHO office.
- Secondary education or equivalent. Must have a valid driver’s license.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience driving 4wheel drives, with a safe driving record;
- Specific driving experience in the country and sub-region;
- Basic knowledge of protocol rules and procedures;
- Good communication skills;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Knowledge of communication equipment such radio, GPS is an advantage;
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs;
- Previous experience in a Governmental or other International Organisation is an advantage;
- Basic computer literacy.
- Fluency in English (verbal);
- A good knowledge of Nepali
Applications MUST comprise of:
- A cover letter (maximum of 1 page) setting out the candidate’s motivation and suitability for the position;
- A detailed CV in the European CV standard format only. The standard format can be downloaded here No other format will be accepted.
- Academic and relevant employment certificates certified true copy by the applicant;
- The name, position and contact number/details (telephone, e-mail) of three references (including HR department and the supervisor), one of them being a recent employer;
- A copy of the valid work and residence permit to live and work in Nepal (in case of non-Nepalese)
The contract is initially for one year with possibility of renewal subject to a successful completion 3 months’ probationary period. The contract is expected to start in December 2023.
ECHO employees observe the National Staff code of Conduct which is available on the link: https://civil-protection-humanitarian-aid.ec.europa.eu/who/about-echo/field-network_en
As an indication, the monthly basic salary is on average approximately NPR64,157 which corresponds to five years of relevant experience and will be adapted according to the exact duration of relevant professional experience supported by a work certificate. The salary is subject to local taxes.
Besides the basic salary, the employee will receive disability / retirement allowance, a 13th salary, as well as a medical coverage.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
The terms of reference for this job can be downloaded here
DEFINITION OF COMPETENCIES
Definition of competencies can be downloaded here
HOW TO APPLY
Applications should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 24/08/2023 at 17:00hrs (local time). The application should be clearly indicated “Driver (REF: KTM 2023-08)” in the subject line.
Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted. They will have to bring the full supporting documentation in original with them at the interview stage. Candidates must abstain from contacting the ECHO Kathmandu office for information on the selection process. Any form of canvassing, soliciting or influencing will be treated as grounds for disqualification.
“Any processing of your personal data will be done in accordance with the applicable EU legislation (Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2018 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and on the free movement of such data.”
The privacy statement can be found on ECHO website. https://ec.europa.eu/echo/system/files/2020-01/privacy_statement_recruitment_ns_final_version.pdf