Website World Vision International Nepal
Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Coordinator
Job Location: Hasanpur, Nepal
With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith.
Come join our 33,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
Employee Contract Type: Local – Fixed Term Employee (Fixed Term)
The purpose of this position is to provide technical leadership in the Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (DRRM) component of the project, and to lead the implementation of DRRM activities, maintain good coordination with the District Disaster Management Committee, Local Disaster Management Committee and DRRM stakeholders, ensure the project’s annual KPIs and targets related to DRRM are achieved. This position is also responsible to promote community-based disaster management activities aiming to increase the resilience of children, communities, as well as local government officials to be better prepared for and able to respond to natural hazards.
- Provide project management and implementation oversight for the DRRM component of the CBDRRM project
- Coordinate with Technical Specialist, Field Office (FO) team of WVI Nepal
- Field teams are clarified on nature of the DRRM component of the project, implementation and timeline
- Ensure implementing NGO partner is equipped with technical capacity on DRRM and the activities are implemented with reference to the DRRM related legal provisions and in consultation with relevant stakeholders.
- Cooperate and provide assistance to the consultants hired under the project;
- Timely in-field monitoring and supervision of activities are taken place;
- Monitor project activities related to DRRM on monthly basis actual expenditures and compare them with the implementation model, budget requirements, review the budget if needed with the Project Technical Specialist, Finance team and other stakeholders who are implementing the project;
- During activity implementation, conduct periodic quality monitoring visits with the MEAL team and Technical Specialist to project sights to assess whether activities are being done to the required standards. For example, if a series of trainings is being conducted, attend a random sample of these to assess the quality of delivery.
- Develop and implement field capacity building plan to ensure field staff and PNGOs are equipped to implement DRRM project activities and achieve the targets. Measure, track and report on field level technical competencies/capacity;
- Train, mentor, coach and provide regular on-going advice to field staff to build capacity to implement quality DRRM programming and successfully reach the most marginalized groups.
- Take lead and guide PNGOs for formation of LDMC (Local Disaster Management Committee), CDMCs (Community Disaster Management Committees) and TFs (Task Forces) at each target community of the Palika.
- As a technical lead strengthen the capacity of LDMCs, CDMCs, TFs, organize workshop at ward level to sensitize about the importance of legal documents on DRRM.
- Lead for the preparation and writing of DRRM Policies, acts, and DRRM Strategic Action Plan,
- As a DRR Coordinator lead the preparation, writing of Disaster Preparedness and Response Plan (DPRP), Emergency Fund Mobilization Guideline, Standard Operating Procedure of Local Emergency Operation Center
- (LEOC), Building code guideline, ToR of LDMCs and Taskforces, etc.
- Conduct simulation and drill on specific hazard at ward and municipality level and develop a manual for simulation and drill on specific hazards.
- Establish strong relationship with representatives project implemented municipality, District Administration Office and District Disaster Management Committee (DDMC), Local Disaster management Committee (LDMC) of Kailali and Achham.
- Coordination with DHM (Department of Hydrology and Meteorology), field offices for strengthening Community Based Flood Early Warning System (CBFEWS) in the project locations.
- Conduct Participatory Disaster Risk Assessment (PDRA) for preparation of Community Disaster Risk Management Plan (CDRRMP) and installation of hazard/social map in the community
- Provide in field support for formation and revitalization of farmers groups including their capacity building on disaster resilient practices.
- Work with DRR/HEA team of WVIN-NO for effective implementation of project activities.
- Support infrastructure coordinator in identifying the safe land for multipurpose community safe shelter
- Provide in field support for mainstreaming DRRM into local government development plan following 7 steps planning process of government of Nepal.
- Develop a TOR defining for consultant hiring as per the project requirement.
- Facilitate for building capacity of Project Team at the district level,
- implementing partners and targeted beneficiaries on DRRM;
- Sharing of lessons learnt and best practices from major activities implemented;
- Develop strategic relationship and partnership with key DRRM stakeholders especially with government;
- Represent the project in selected DRRM related provincial, district and local level meetings and workshops;
- Interact, build and nurture effective working relationships with relevant GO/NGOs, Agencies, and Civil Society Organizations in order to foster, strong networking, coordination, collaboration and partnership at national level for DRRM;
- Serve as a DRRM related resource person for disseminating knowledge and skills to GO/NGO and other institutions;
- In coordination with the Technical Specialist produce, quality monthly, quarterly, annual and other progress and financial reports aligning with project design and donor requirement;
- Develop progress reports of the DRRM component as and when required;
- Collect evidences of DRRM related good practices from district in regular basis and share with project team.
- Anything else requested by the Line Manager and DRR/HEA unit at NO for contributing to organizational targets.
- Staff management of the project in PNGOs
- All the requirements of the project and donor are submitted to line manager in timely manner
KNOWLEDGE/QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE ROLE
Required Professional Experience
- Practical knowledge on local disaster risk management planning process including development of the legal documents related to DRRM, Early Warning System, climate resilient livelihood, disaster resilient infrastructure.
- Practical knowledge in Community Based Disaster Risk Management projects
- Good knowledge of development work and nexus approach of disaster with livelihood in fragile context.
- Good media relations and advocacy skills especially with government stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal, networking, coordination and organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and Nepali
- Good presentation and communication skills
- Experience in the preparation of DRRM materials and tools
- Strong experience and recognized expertise in models and methods of training, facilitation and capacity building, and organizational development for staff and communities
- Understanding and experience in working with children and communities in Nepal
Required Education, training, license, registration and certification
- A Bachelor’s degree in Disaster Risk Management, Environmental Science; or a degree in relevant field with substantial experience in DRR programming.
- 3-5 years of professional experience in implementing CBDRR, DRRM, disaster resilient livelihood projects in the context of different geographical locations.
- Demonstrated expertise and experience in developing and operationalizing of disaster management related act, policies, strategies, guidelines etc.
- Demonstrated expertise and experience in developing and operationalizing of LDCRP, DPRP, SoP for LEOC, DM Fund Mobilization Guideline, CBDRRMP etc.
- Familiarity with development theory, community-based disaster management, DRRM frameworks; Vulnerability and Capacity Assessment (VCA), Participatory Disaster Risk Assessment (PDRA) etc.
- Strong conceptual knowledge about ToCs, logic model, resilience indicators, DRRM plans, data quality assurance, data utilization, and gender integration into M&E
- Demonstrated experience of working with all three tiers of government of Nepal, especially with provincial and local government including signing MoU with concerned government.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work cross-culturally with diverse teams.
- Ability to work with host-country professionals, ministries and with donor colleagues in country.
- Sound knowledge for preparation of advocacy tool for mainstreaming DRRM into development plan.
- Strong verbal communication skills, strong presentation and report writing skills.
- Sound Knowledge of social security schemes
- Knowledge of climate resilient agriculture practices
- Knowledge of disaster resilient community infrastructures
Preferred Knowledge and Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in Disaster Risk Management, Environmental Science; or a degree in relevant field with substantial experience in DRR programming
- Partner NGO management experience and knowledge
- Strong government stakeholder coordination and familiar with Government of Nepal’s DRRM
Travel and/or Work Environment
Mandatory travels to implementation sites of Achham and Kailali districts (60%)
“World Vision is committed to achieving diversity, as the diversity of our teams is critical to our overall success. WV welcomes applications from qualified professionals all over Nepal. Women, people with disability, and members from other marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply.”
“Children and vulnerable adults who come into contact with WV as a result of our activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury, and any other harm. One of the ways that WVI Nepal shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates, in accordance to its Child and Adult Safeguarding Policy. WVI Nepal has zero tolerance to child rights’ violations, by employees and/or affiliates.”
WVI Nepal reserves all rights to qualify/disqualify applications in any case.
People & Culture Department
World Vision International Nepal
Applicant Types Accepted: Local Applicants Only
To apply for this job please visit worldvision.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.