Coordination and Monitoring Specialist (SB 5/II) (For Nepalese Nationals only)
Location: Kathmandu, NEPAL
Application Deadline: 29-Jun-23 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category: Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding
Type of Contract: Other
Post Level: Other
Languages Required: English
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 15-Aug-2023
Duration of Initial Contract: One year with possibility of extension
Expected Duration of Assignment: Until the end of project
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The Constitution of Nepal turned Nepal into a federal state with three levels of government with the intent of transforming the country from a centralized unitary state into a federal country and to ensure economic equality, prosperity and social justice. The Constitution marks a fundamental paradigm shift in the system, structure and functioning of sub-national governance in Nepal. The move from a unitary to a federal structure of governance requires massive reorientation of the institutions, systems, work cultures and styles of functioning.
The Provincial and Local Governance Support Programme (PLGSP) is the national flagship programme of the Government of Nepal (GoN) to build institutional, organizational and individual capacity at all levels of government, with special focus on the provincial and local levels. The ultimate goal of the Programme is to attain functional, sustainable, inclusive and accountable provincial and local governance. The Programme aims to contribute to delivery of quality services at provincial and local levels, promote better local infrastructure and enhance economic prosperity. The Programme will achieve 14 outputs under the following three outcomes:
- Government institutions and inter-governmental mechanisms at all levels are fully functioning in support of federal governance as per the Constitution;
- Provincial and local governments have efficient, effective, inclusive and accountable institutions; and
- Elected representatives and civil servants at provincial and local governments have the capacity and serve citizens to their satisfaction.
The PLGSP serves as an umbrella programme of the Government in providing capacity development support to the provincial and local governments. As such, the Programme will establish a common framework for coordination and coherence of all governance-related programmes at the provincial and local levels and accommodate other donor-funded programmes. Thus, the PLGSP will provide a coherent approach to capacity development under the federal system.
The Ministry of Federal Affairs and General Administration (MoFAGA) is the executive agency of the Programme. The seven provincial governments, the 753 local governments, the restructured Local Development Training Academy (LDTA) and seven provincial-level training centres (Provincial Centres for Good Governance) are the implementing agencies of the Programme. The Programme is supported by international development partners, namely, the Department for International Development (DfID) of the United Kingdom, the European Union (EU), the Government of Norway, the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, and the United Nations.
MoFAGA is partnering with UNDP to support the implementation of the Programme through Technical Assistance (TA). A key priority of the TA is recruitment of TA staff, their capacity building and knowledge enhancement including orientation and continuous backstopping support in coordination with the Programme Management.
The Programme Coordination Unit (PCU) headed by the National Programme Director (NPD) functions as the secretariat to the governing bodies of the Programme at the federal level namely, National Executive Committee, chaired by the MOFAGA secretary, and the National Steering Committee, chaired by the Minister of Federal Affairs and General Administration. In regard to the Programme implementation, the PCU will have dual tasks: (i) provide technical support to federal agencies on demand basis, ii. serve as federal anchor point to guide, backstop and mentor the Provincial Programme Implementation Units (PPIUs). Additionally, the PCU under the leadership of the NPD and NPM will be responsible to for overall results of the Programme, meaning that PCU has an important role to make ensure that the activities carried by the federal agencies and the provincial governments are within the scope of the Programme and are properly coordinated and monitored. The PCU is also responsible to facilitate the implementation and prepare consolidated progress reports to be submitted to the National Executive Committee (NEC), National Steering Committee (NSC).
Duties and Responsibilities
The overall responsibilities of the assignment are to:
- Lead the planning of the PLGSP activities and facilitate the implementation of the approved plans;
- Monitor the Programme implementation at all levels and report the progress;
- Ensure that Programme activities carried out by the federal agencies and the provincial governments are coordinated to make sure they are moving to achieve the PLGSP outputs and outcomes;
- Directly contribute the achievement of output three of PLGSP: Inter-governmental administrative mechanisms are strengthened and functional;
- Serve as the focal person of the Monitoring and Reporting Experts, and Infrastructure Development Experts;
- Ensure strengthening gender and social inclusion work through project interventions;
- Perform any other tasks assigned.
1. Lead the preparation of the consolidated annual and trimester workplans of the Programme
- Draft the guidelines to the provincial local governments on the preparation of the annual strategic implementation plan (ASIP) and trimester workplans of the Programme;
- Provide support to the Provincial Programme Implementation Units (PPIUs) and Provincial Centers of Good Governance (PCGGs) in the preparation ASIPs and trimester workplans;
- Prepare federal level ASIP and trimester workplan in consultation with the federal agencies and Ministries;
- Ensure that the Federal Ministries and agencies are properly consulted in getting their inputs for the ASIP and trimester work plans;
- Prepare a consolidated ASIP and trimester workplan of the Programme; and
- Provide technical support in enhancing inter-governmental coordination to ensure effective implementation of the ASIP.
2. Monitor the Programme implementation at all levels and report the progress
- Follow the implementation of the Programme at all levels;
- Provide necessary guidance to the Monitoring and Reporting Experts based in the PPIUs in monitoring the programme implementation at the provincial and local levels;
- Develop annual monitoring plan and ensure the effective accomplishment of the deliverables set in the results frameworks;
- Prepare, in coordination with the Federal Governance Specialist and Development Partner Coordinator, consolidated progress reports of Programme to be submitted to the NEC, NSC and the development partners;
- Update the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Framework of the Programme and provide necessary support to the local implementation units;
- Take the lead in organizing joint visits of the Government of Nepal and development partners;
- Monitor the risk and Update the risk log of the Programme and suggest the mitigation measures;
- Serve as resource person of the Programme in relation Programme scope and results of the Programme including, outputs and their indicators;
- Periodically monitor the progresses made in the joint financing arrangement of the Programme and brief to the NPD/NPM, and DP Coordinator;
- Work with Human Resource and Liaison Specialist in PCU to facilitate the coordination between Joint Financing Arrangements (JFA) and TA activities and help identify the issues that need GoN and UNDP’s attention; and
- Assist in gathering the information for the mid-term and final evaluation of the programme and work as a focal person.
3. Ensure that Programme activities carried out by the federal agencies and the provincial governments are coordinated to make sure they are moving to achieve the PLGSP outputs and outcomes,
- Periodically review the programme activities across the provinces and vertically between the federal government and provincial governments;
- Ensure that the activities are aligned with the PLGSP outputs and their indicators and create synergy in achieving the results;
- Organize review meetings with the provincial governments;
- Pay field visits to the provincial and local governments, as required.
4. Directly contribute the achievement of output three of PLGSP: Inter-governmental administrative mechanisms are strengthened and functional
- Provide technical support to the Ministry and Office of the Prime Minister (OPMCM) to strengthen the secretariat of the Inter-provincial Council;
- Provide technical inputs to MOFAGA and the OPMCM to enhance horizontal cooperation and coordination within the federal agencies and vertical coordination between the three levels of government;
- Coordinate with the government entities and the development partners to make sure that the local and provincial governments use the same source of data during planning and budgeting, to the extent possible.
5. Serve as the focal person of the Monitoring and Reporting Experts, and Infrastructure Development Experts
- Coordinate the functions of the Monitoring and Reporting Experts working at the PPIUs;
- Provide needed guidance and support to them in a regular basis;
- Coordinate with NPM/NPD and UNDP to provide the training and other capacity development activities to the Experts and facilitate learning and experience sharing among the Experts; and
- Perform any other tasks assigned.
6. Ensure strengthening gender and social inclusion work through project interventions;
- Provide advice and direction on strategic and policy issues to strengthen gender & social inclusion initiatives in the programme plan and implementation strategy;
- Facilitate in creating an environment to address GESI issues;
- Ensure gender and inclusion issues are substantially incorporated in policy notes and briefs where ever possible;
- Liaise with CO Gender Specialist as per the need for effective implementation of the GESI strategy and other guiding tools.
Impact of Results:
- The PLGSP successfully coordinated and monitored;
- Monitoring systems are in place and results are well tracked;
- The PLGSP outputs delivered and outcomes achieved in line with result framework.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the Government of Nepal and UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Serves and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of GoN and UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Good inter-personal skills;
- Clear and upfront communication skills;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Display cultural and gender sensitivity and adaptability;
- Collaborates effectively in a team environment;
- Organized and good with following-up on pending issues; meets deadlines;
- Promote learning and knowledge management/sharing;
- Focused on delivering results by taking calculated-risks and problem-solving approach;
- Fair and transparent decision making; regularly shares information with team members;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development.
- Demonstrate ability to identify and anticipate bottlenecks, as well as seek guidance;
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy, confidentiality concerning financial and employee files; (for admin and finance, project management positions);
- Ability to organize and complete assignments within deadlines;
- Integrity and impartiality, ability to work with external partners e.g. supplier, vendors, service providers;
- Ability to convey difficult issues and positions to senior officials proactively seek guidance and make clear recommendations to line managers;
- Dynamic and results-oriented;
- Strong verbal and written skills; ability to draft short memos and conduct presentations;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities; can multi task;
- Willing to work long hours;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view;
- Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty;
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to Government of Nepal and UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda;
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work;
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Oversees and documents the process of strategy formulation for programmes at Project level.
Required Skills and Experience
- PhD or master’s degree in Economics, Development Management, Social Science and related other disciplines
- Ph.D with 5 years’ experience or Master’s Degree with 8 years’ experience;
- At least five years of practical experience of working in governance and/or development;
- At least three years of experience in monitoring and evaluation of projects and programmes;
- Sound understanding of the ongoing the federalization process in Nepal;
- Solid, demonstrable knowledge of project/programme management;
- Experience in inter-governmental coordination;
- Demonstrated skills in coordinating with different stakeholders and facilitating dialogue;
- Demonstrated skills on preparing quality reports and other knowledge products;
- Sound inter-personal skills.
- Fluency in English and Nepali, both written and oral, at professional level are essential