Communications and Outreach Officer
Sanepa Heights Rd, Lalitpur 44600, Nepal
The Why: NEPAL aspires to graduate from least developing country to a lower middle-income country by 2030. However, the development community’s excessive focus today on socio-political empowerment has not yielded the desired economic transformation. In reaching the 2030 national target, shall we wait for institutions of power to become accountably productive or shall we bolster innovations of people to bring inclusive prosperity? And, shall we strengthen grassroots-government collaboration in shaping an equal and enterprising future?
The How: DAAYITWA ABHIYAAN strives for an enterprising Nepal where every individual has opportunities for a prosperous future. Focused on promoting economic empowerment, we aim to nurture an enterprising mindset – which is about working hard, taking risks, and being creative – in development change-agents. Driven by principles of economic justice, community engagement and financial sustainability, the Abhiyaan comprises four organizations.
- Daayitwa – an NGO that promotes domestic youth employment by accelerating rural youth entrepreneurs to create jobs and supporting the government to implement evidence-based enterprise development policies
- Nepal Leadership Academy – a non-profit company that develops an enterprising mindset in change-agents by growing their leadership and management capabilities.
- Governance Lab – a for-profit research firm that enables the government and the private sector to make decisions by conducting evidence-based research and connecting researchers and decision-makers
- Daayitwa-US – a US-based non-profit that engages and empowers Nepali diaspora in the US as change agents and strengthens local and global collaboration to promote socio-economic development in Nepal
In the last 9 years, we have accelerated 85 rural youth entrepreneurs (45 women) in 3 provinces (Province 3, 4 and 5) to embrace innovation, access investment, grow income and create employment. Leveraging the grassroots learning, we have supported 141 youth trained in 30 countries around the world to support 51 government organizations and 24 parliamentarians with entrepreneurship and employment policy research. We have conducted more than 60 leadership courses for over 700 participants to build their capacity to lead teams and architect innovative solutions. We have conducted research on various topics such as MSE growth, dignity of labor and COVID19-related financial and health issues in order to support federal and provincial governments to make evidence-based policy decisions. We have organized Nepali diaspora and friends of Nepal to financially support more than 100 NGOs to grow their social impact. At Daayitwa Abhiyaan, we are determined to continue accelerating business, policy and civic entrepreneurs to promote employment, entrepreneurship and economic growth, while shaping a campaign that nurtures an enterprising mindset in the nation.
The What: YOU, as the Communications and Outreach Officer, will assist the Communications and Outreach Manager in seven key functions:
1. Strategic Outreach and Partnership Development
- Identify, build and strengthen partnerships with relevant stakeholders, including youth groups, government, private sector, banks, NGOs, universities and development partners
- Create and manage documentation and database related to external relationships
- Coordinate learning and networking sessions, including but not limited to webinars, panel discussions, and talk series
- Attend public events in order to broaden relationship networks, referral sources and continually deepen existing knowledge of trends and practices
- Foster dialogue among stakeholders, partners, and beneficiaries of the organization.
- Assist with fundraising and partnership development activities
- Process volunteer applications and manage database for community outreach
- Create and maintain electronic mailing lists targeting specific outreach groups
- Manage and execute email communications program, including regular e-newsletters, campaign messages and fundraising e-appeals
- Prepare talking points and other presentation materials for outreach
2. Media Relations
- Assist in building rapport with media houses and maintain press contacts at local, national, and international levels
- Create, maintain and timely update the press contact database
- Prepare media briefings, create program/project/campaign specific press releases, and, coordinate dissemination of content through relevant media
- Maintain database of press coverages and share it with internal team members, relevant partners, donors and stakeholders
3. Communication Strategy and Plan
- Assist in implementing an integrated communications strategy for advancing Daayitwa Abhiyaan’s brand identity, broadening awareness of programs and increasing visibility across key stakeholder audiences
- Collaborate with program teams to customize and implement strategies for individual initiatives
- Create and manage processes to develop knowledge products and promote effective public outreach
4. Communications Materials
- Multimedia/audio-visual production: develop, create and supervise the production of videos, jingles, PSAs, and other multimedia materials including photography
- Oversee and coordinate with graphic designers to come up with creative graphics to communicate at various digital as well as non-digital platforms
- Maintain digital media library of multimedia materials for future use
5. Social Media
- Timely update and maintain social media handles of Daayitwa Abhiyaan
- Strategize and implement social media campaigns to meet the communication goals
- Assist in conceptualizing, designing and managing various events, conferences, workshops, and advocacy and fundraising campaigns
- Develop event update/news and share it to the stakeholders utilizing all appropriate media tools
- Take photos and videos at the event, sort and archive them for future use
7. Team Management and Support
- Support and provide necessary guidance to Communications and Outreach Team interns for coherent, collaborative and creative communications
- Proactively support other teams and departments to help them communicate effectively
- Execute all other communications functions as necessary
YOU must be a fun, people-loving, growth-oriented, impact-minded, young dynamic team player with the following qualifications:
- Academically compelling, currently pursuing Bachelors in Mass Communications, Media Studies, Public Relations, Journalism, Organizational Psychology, Social Sciences or relevant fields. Master’s completed candidates preferred.
- Professionally striking with a minimum of 2 years of relevant experiences in strategic communications, brand management, public relations and/or campaign coordination
- Remarkable management skills, including forte in training, coaching, and mentoring teams
- Working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and/or other design software.
- Independence in tackling complex problems consistently applying creativity, independent judgment and detail orientation
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal oversight with time management skills
- Excellent writer and orator in Nepali and English
- Passionately driven by a strong inner calling for economic empowerment of Nepal
- Understanding of social issues related to economic prosperity, gender equality, youth employment and community-driven development
- Outstanding ability to work effectively under pressure and during uncertainties
Compensation: Daayitwa will provide compensation on a monthly rate basis to the Communications and Outreach Officer. The rate will be mutually agreed upon, commensurate with the level of deliverables, qualifications and experience of the candidate.
Apply Before: 31st August 2022
To Apply: Interested candidates must submit a CV and a cover letter along with writing samples (English and Nepali) and photo/audio-visuals (taken/made with your direct involvement.
Click on I’m Interested to send us your portfolio.
**Only shortlisted candidates will be notified**
To learn more about Daayitwa and our work, do visit our Facebook page or our website.