Job Identification: 15754
Locations: Kathmandu, Nepal
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: Fixed Term
Practice Area: Management
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration: 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience: Master’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience OR Bachelor’s Degree – 4 year(s) experience
Required Languages: English and Nepali
Vacancy Timeline: 2 Weeks
Mobility required/no mobility: no mobility required
Background and Organizational Context
Under its new Country Programme (2023-2027), UNDP’s work in Nepal focuses on developing the capacity of government agencies (federal, provincial, and municipal level), civil society and community groups to jointly pursue development activities to foster sustainable and inclusive economic transformation, enhance people’s participation and inclusion in governance in the context of federalism, and protect and promote biodiversity with nature based solutions, energy transitions, environmental sustainability and resilience to climate change and natural hazards. During the past programme cycle, Nepal has undergone profound changes on account not only of the transition from a unitary to federal system but also of the Covid Pandemic, which has impacted lives, livelihoods, health systems, and has at times slowed down or reversed hard gained development progress. At the same time, the overall trend of Nepal’s GNI has been one of growth, with graduation from LDC status planned for 2026.
Against this backdrop, the new Country Programme 2023-2027 is a strategic opportunity for UNDP Nepal to strategically reposition its contributions in support of the Sustainable Development Goals – with a focus on integrated solutions- and expand its collaboration with national and international development partners including the UN system. Delivering UNDP’s country programme, in line with the signature solutions and enablers identified in UNDP’s global Strategic Plan 2022-2025, the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework and the Agenda 2030 will require the development of new partnerships.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative, the Communications Analyst implements the corporate communications strategy, as well as provides inputs to the design, management and implementation of the Country Office communications and publication strategies which are geared to influence the development agenda, promote public and media outreach and mobilize political and financial support for UNDP.
The Communications Analyst supervises and leads the communications staff of the country office and maintains a regular working relationship with the Regional Communications Adviser. The Communications Analyst works in close collaboration with the Programme and Operations teams, staff of other UN Agencies, Government officials, international and local media, subject matter experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP communication strategy implementation.
UNDP adopts a portfolio approach to accommodate changing business needs and leverage linkages across interventions to achieve its strategic goals. Therefore, UNDP personnel are expected to work across units, functions, teams, and projects in multidisciplinary teams in order to enhance and enable horizontal collaboration.
Key Duties and Accountabilities
1. Ensures planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation and conduct of communications need assessments for CO (projects, country programme and corporate change initiatives, etc);
- Drafting/editing of CO communications and outreach strategy based on the corporate communications strategy;
- Analysis of requirements and synthesis of proposals on ways to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of UNDP’s development programme during programme and project formulations.
- As a member of the UN Communication Team, contributes to overall UN communication and advocacy efforts and initiatives
2. Ensures implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan based on the corporate publications policy.
- Identification of storylines for publications and drafting of substantive articles contributing to debates on key development issues.
- Coordination and management of CO publication activities, such as content management, norms for publishing, design, etc.
- Contact with printers and other suppliers to ensure production and ensure publications dissemination.
3. Supervision of the design and maintenance of the UNDP web site, and social media platforms focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Updating the information on a regular basis to maintain dynamic online presence.
- Supervision of the design and maintenance of the office web sites based on corporate requirements in cooperation with the ICT staff to ensure that the website maintains all the required technical standards and the latest features for maximum information dissemination.
- Preparation of the content for the web sites and social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter etc to ensure consistency of the materials.
4. Supports business development and partnerships
Launches and campaigns.
- Promotion and maintenance of public information campaigns on UNDP activities, UN Reform, results of MDGs, post 2015 Development Agenda and SDGs, in association with other agencies.
- Promotion and dissemination of corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications such as the Human Development Report.
- Packaging and submission of programme initiatives for donor review in collaboration with programme staff and supervisor.
- Maintenance of increased coverage and understanding of the UNDP’s work in the country among international, regional, and national stakeholders through media contacts and provision of newsworthy information to national public and, where possible, donors.
- Use of social media for dissemination of UNDP core messages and activities, and activation of issue related discussions.
- Organization of roundtable discussions press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews, launches, etc.
- Forging of a “One UN” image through publicizing the significance of local UN reform efforts, joint programmes, common services. Organization and implementation of joint UN information campaigns (UN Day, World AIDS Day, etc.)
- Ensure access to journalists to subject-matter experts and UNDP spokespeople.
- Drafting/production of regular updates to donors.
- Support projects through preparation of donor reports, civic education, and community awareness where appropriate to support projects.
5. Facilitation of knowledge building and management
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories.
- Provision of training, consultancy and advice to UNDP staff and partners on internal and external communications for development.
6. Contribution towards Gender Equality and Social Inclusion
- Ensure all knowledge products are gender and social inclusion sensitive.
- Ensure all communication materials are produced, communicated and circulated following a gender and social inclusion perspective.
Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
System Thinking: Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system.
Portfolio Management: Ability to select, prioritize and control the organization’s programmes and projects, in line with its strategic objectives and capacity; ability to balance the implementation of change initiatives and the maintenance of business-as-usual, while optimizing return on investment.
Multimedia writing and editing: Ability to create and/or edit written content for multimedia.
Social Media Management: Ability to represent and promote the UNDP brand in virtual communities and networks.
Digital Asset Management: Ability to use digital asset management (DAM) systems to effectively store, share and organize digital assets such as images, videos and other media.
Writing and Editing: Ability to create and/or edit written content in different UN languages.
Gender Equality and Social Inclusion: Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Corporate Report
Required Skills and Experience:
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in social sciences, media relations, journalism, publishing or another relevant subject with minimum of 2 years of relevant qualifying experience is required, Or
- A first-level university degree (bachelor’s degree) in combination with a minimum of 4 years of relevant qualifying experience is required.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Minimum of 2 years (with master’s degree) or 4 years (with bachelor’s degree) of relevant experience in journalism or communication for development.
- Proven experience of working closely with or for development organizations with a focus on writing, editing desk top publishing of development related articles and reports, launch of knowledge products and management of media events is desirable.
- Experience in use of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling web-based management systems is an asset.
- International experience on communication for development or journalism will be an asset.
- Fluency in English and Nepali is required.
Candidates selected pursuant to this vacancy may be subject to UNDP’s policy on Probation upon assignment.
Note: Please upload copies of your academic qualifications and 3 latest Performance Evaluations (if applicable)
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience, and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Apply Before: 02/05/2024, 10:44 AM