Swisscontact, established in 1959 in Switzerland, is a leading partner organisation for the implementation of international development projects. The organisation promotes inclusive economic, social, and ecological development to make an effective contribution towards sustainable and widespread prosperity in developing and emerging economies. It strengthens the competencies of people, improving their employability, increases the competitiveness of enterprises, growing their business, and fosters social and economic systems, promoting inclusive development.
Swisscontact, registered as an International Non-Governmental Organisation has been operating in Nepal since 1991. Currently, Swisscontact Nepal has six development programmes across all seven provinces.
Swisscontact is implementing the Step Up Project in Koshi Province. The primary goal of the project is to increase the income of the target groups through productive and sustained employment contributing to poverty reduction and resilient livelihoods.
Location: Kathmandu (with frequent travel to project areas )
Reports to: Head of Portfolio
Time: 100% (8 hours a day and 5 days a week)
Duration: One year with the possibility of extension
Purpose of the Job
The incumbent is a representative of Swisscontact displaying courtesy, tact, consideration, and discretion in all interactions with other members of the project, government agencies, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the public. The Communications Officer (CO) is responsible for supporting communication activities of Swisscontact Nepal and for developing and implementing the communications strategy, guidelines, and activities of Step Up.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities General
- Develop and implement a communications strategy for Swisscontact Nepal.
- Generate new ideas for producing innovative theme/issue specific communications and marketing materials for Swisscontact.
- Liaise with communication focal points of Swisscontact’s projects; Support in writing and editing documents such as press releases, news pieces, publications, case studies other relevant documents.
- Coordinate and ensure high quality printing of all communications materials and ensure their proper dissemination through close coordination with communication vendor.
- Monitor distribution and end‐use of all communications materials.
- Manage Swisscontact’s Nepal website and web contents.
- Manage Swisscontact Nepal’s Facebook page and liaise with relevant project personnel for page content.
- Liaise with Swisscontact’s Regional Communication Manager, Head Office Communications team, and website support team as required.
- Support the organising of major events.
- Develop and implement a communications strategy to ensure that Step Up has a robust internal, external and sector communication system in place.
- Generate new ideas for producing innovative theme/issue specific communications materials.
- Work cross‐functionally and liaise with Step Up’s team and communication focal points of Swisscontact’s projects.
- Support activities targeting improved internal communications.
- Support in writing and editing documents such as press releases, news pieces, intervention briefs, publications, case studies and other relevant documents.
- Assist other team members in communications related activities as and when required.
- Coordinate production of multimedia, demonstrating creative thinking.
- Coordinate and review English‐Nepali and Nepali‐English translations as required.
- Manage Step Up’s web contents and Step Up’s content for Swisscontact Facebook page.
- Liaise with Swisscontact’s Head Office Development Programme and Communications team as required.
- Support to develop a network of national and international contacts, which are relevant to Swisscontact Nepal’s communications work.
- Comply with the Employee Manual of Swisscontact and other relevant requirements of Swisscontact.
- The CO can also be engaged in other tasks in line with Communications not specifically mentioned above. Time Involvement
- The incumbent shall be engaged at 100% capacity. They will be primarily responsible for the Step Up project, accounting for approximately 70% of their role, and will also contribute to Swisscontact Nepal communication tasks, comprising the remaining 30% of their responsibilities.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in Nepali and English.
- Good photography and/or videography skills are preferable.
- Knowledge and skills in interpersonal and cross‐cultural communications and demonstrated ability to think and manage strategically.
- Understanding of media and development challenges in Nepal.
- Skills in conducting interviews and writing case studies, and other forms of digital stories.
- Experience in managing content for social media platforms and websites.
- Experience designing communication materials by using Canva and other graphic design software will be an added advantage.
- Journalism experience in business/economics will be an added advantage.
Conditions and Environment
- In accordance with the Swisscontact Finance and Operations Manual.
Please submit an Online Job Application Form in this link.
The deadline for submission of application is February 7, 2024.
Swisscontact Nepal shall not entertain any phone inquiries or other such solicitations for the position. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the selection process. Swisscontact Nepal reserves the right to reject any or all applications.
Swisscontact is an equal opportunity employer. Women and applicants from disadvantaged groups are encouraged to apply.