Job Identification: 13682
Locations: Kathmandu, Nepal
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area: Disaster Risk Reduction and Recovery
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration: 6 months
Education & Work Experience: Bachelor’s Degree – 3 year(s) experience OR High School certificate- 6 year(s) experience
Required Languages: English and Nepali
Vacancy Timeline: 2 Weeks
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP has been present in Nepal since 1963, working towards greater development impact for the people living in the most remote, poor, and vulnerable areas. Reduction of vulnerability to disaster and climate risks is one of the core programmatic approaches in promoting sustainable and resilient development. UNDP’s programme priorities for 2023-2027 are: Sustainable and inclusive economic transformation; Governance, federalism, participation, and inclusion; and Environmental sustainability, climate, and disaster resilience.
UNDP is Government of Nepal’s trusted partner on disaster and climate risk management through strong policy and institutional support and enhancing capacities for resilience building at all levels including support for community-level risk reduction, climate change adaptation, disaster risk reduction, preparedness, and recovery. It has built partnerships with all three tiers of government, international agencies, NGOs, and academic institutions and expanded the institutional and knowledge base of risk management in Nepal. UNDP’s interventions through different programs and projects on adaptation and mitigation, urban risk management through building code, risk sensitive land use plan, safer construction practices and retrofitting, climate and disaster risk informed development, information management, community-based resilience, and emergency preparedness and aim to build resilience to climate and disaster risk in Nepal.
Disaster risk in Nepal is changing with the increase in vulnerability and exposure from improper development processes as well as with the probable increase in frequency and magnitude of hazards from change in climate and other causes. In setting a longer roadmap for the nation’s resilience building, it is very important to carry out a process of maintaining daily disaster situation updates including incident data and records and effective dissemination to the stakeholders as well as general public. This requires a structured process in generating these updates with engagement of a dedicated and experienced human resource at the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority (NDRRMA), also coordinating with National Emergency Operations Centre (NEOC).
Duties and Responsibilities
The overall objective of this assignment is to provide technical support to National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority (NDRRMA) by assigning a communication expert to execute daily communication efforts and activities, social media management, outreach, and media coordination.
The Communication Associate will mainly serve as the principal communication and mass media technical focal point in carrying out the assignment as per the objectives stated:
The scope of the work includes: –
- Generate engaging and relevant content for various communication channels, including website, social media, blogs, and newsletters.
- Manage and update NDRRMA’s social media accounts to maintain an active online presence and monitor social media channels for mentions, comments, and messages, responding as necessary.
- Manage social media account of NDRRMA under the guidance of senior officials of NDRRMA.
- Document including photo document NDRRMA events.
- Support to NDRRMA on information management related to disaster scenario and incidents.
- Prepare/Support in preparation and dissemination of daily disaster situation report bulletin/s – Sitreps.
- Coordinate with content creators to produce multimedia content for media use.
- Coordinate and guide NDRRMA designated/assigned media house on disseminating disaster related Public Service Announcements (PSA) across the country.
- Assist in the transfer of skills and expertise to NDRRMA to improve the organization’s capacity for report conception, presentation, and dissemination.
- Ensure that all communication materials, including articles, videos, and visuals, reflect a variety of gender and social inclusion dimensions.
- Manage social media accounts to share stories, statistics, and initiatives that promote gender equality and social inclusion, fostering online discussions around these topics.
- Achieve Results:
LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively:
LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously:
LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility:
LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination:
LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner:
LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- 2030 Agenda Planet – Disaster Risk Reduction and Recovery
Gender Responsive Disaster Risk Management and Reduction
- Communications – Social Media management
Ability to represent and promote the UNDP brand in virtual communities and networks
- Communications – Digital asset management
Ability to use digital asset management (DAM) systems to effectively store, share and organize digital assets such as images, videos and other media
- Communications – Graphic Design
Ability to communicate visually and create appealing UNDP graphic products
- Ethics – UN policy knowledge – ethics
Knowledge and understanding of the UN Staff Regulations and Rules and other policies relating to ethics and integrity
- Business Development – Knowledge Generation
Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of 10+2 education. Bachelor’s degree in mass communication, disaster management, social science or relevant field is preferred.
- At least 6 years of experience for 10+2 education and 3 years for Bachelor’s degree in the field of media, mass communications and outreach with the ability and skills to work in strict deadlines.
- At least 1 year of experience of working with government would be an advantage.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Apply Before: 10/03/2023, 11:59 PM
To apply for this job please visit estm.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com.