Position Title: Research Assistant
Duty Station: Jawalakhel, Lalitpur, Nepal (with up to 40% field visits)
Duration: One Year (including a three-month probation period)
Working Hours: Full Time
Application Closing Date: 20 October 2023
We are a non-profit organisation, dedicated to enhancing online safety for children and young people in Nepal. We collaborate with the government, schools, colleges, caregivers, the media, the private sector, and other national/international stakeholders to raise awareness on the safer use of the internet and digital devices. Our work includes advocacy, capacity building, awareness raising and conducting research studies.
The Research Assistant will play a vital role in the current and future research endeavours. They will work closely with the research team, contributing to study design, data collection, analysis and report preparation.
Description of Duties
- Conduct comprehensive desktop research, with a focus on literature reviews
- Assist in developing research methodologies, data collection instruments and tools
- Collect data using quantitative and qualitative methods (including, online/offline survey questionnaires, visual methods, focus group discussions, key informant interviews etc.)
- Assist in cleaning, tabulating, analysing data, and aiding in report preparation
- Participate in proposal development and manuscript drafting
- Develop work plans and engage in regular discussions with the research team
- Attend relevant training, workshops, seminars, and webinars, as and when necessary
- Perform additional tasks as assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in social work, sociology, anthropology, or related fields
- At least one year of research experience, preferably in child protection or gender-based violence
- Proficiency in developing and implementing qualitative and quantitative data collection tools
- Ability to use statistical and data analysis tools (e.g., Kobo toolbox, SPSS and MAXQDA/NVivo)
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English and Nepali
- Experience in writing research reports and/or contributing to drafting research reports
- Understanding cyber violence, child protection, and gender-based violence, is desirable
- Knowledge of ethical research, especially on sensitive issues
- Commitment and interest in safeguarding children and youth online
- Willingness to learn and stay updated on cyber safety developments
- Ability to think strategically, critically, and outside the box
- Creative, flexible, multi-tasking abilities, with attention to detail
- Strong organisational and time-management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and team-working skills
- Proficient in digital technology and office applications
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of work-related information
- Sensitivity to gender, ethnicity as well as children and young people’s needs
ChildSafeNet is an equal opportunity organisation, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds, irrespective of their gender, ethnicity and socio-economic status.
The role may involve direct interaction with children, young people and their families, either in- person or online. We are dedicated to child protection and conduct thorough background checks of applicants.
Interested applicants are requested to apply with a statement on how they can contribute to this role, a curriculum vitae, recently published articles/reports (if any) and a recent photograph to email@example.com, by 20 October 2023, with “Research Assistant” as the subject, indicating expected start date and salary expectation. Employment is conditional upon receipt of two references and a successful background check.
Join us in creating a safer digital world for children and young people.