Job Title: RE-ADVERTISEMENT: NATIONAL POST: Administrative and Finance Associate, Provincial Offices, Nepal, 2 Positions (Butwal and Dhangadhi), G-6
Job ID: 41963
Location: Asia and Pacific
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
All applicants who have applied for this post don’t need to re-submit their applications.
Closing Date: 30 June 2022 by 5 pm Nepal time
Duration: One year (renewable)*
Contract Type: Fixed-Term
* No expectancy of renewal in accordance with UN Staff Regulation 4.5
The Administrative and Finance Associate (AFA) positions are located in each of the three UNFPA Nepal Provincial Offices in Janakpur, Dhangadhi and Butwal, and supports the operations of the provincial offices as an extension of the Operations Team. You will work under the technical guidance of the International Operations Manager and the Operations team based in Kathmandu. You will report directly to the Head of the Provincial Office and support the UNFPA team in the province and local level by performing a range of standard administrative and financial processes and facilitate effective programme management and oversight with respect to operations at provincial and local level, in compliance with UNFPA rules and regulations. You will have a dotted reporting line to the International Operations Manager for compliance and technical related matters for the province.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan, focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction. UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who uphold the values enshrined in the United Nations Charter, who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The AFA provides support to the provincial and local offices’ operations, ensures execution of transparent and efficient services, and promotes a client-focused and results-oriented approach, ensuring high quality and accuracy of work and compliance with the UNFPA policies and procedures.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
The AFA will be responsible for:
1. Provision of effective and efficient administrative and operational support services:
- Provides administrative and logistical support for the organization of workshops, seminars, meetings, high level visits, and other related activities.
- Facilitates procurement of goods and services as per UNFPA policies and procedures.
- Performs the Atlas/ERP system roles as Assets Focal Point for the provincial office and keeps an up-to-date inventory list of office assets and supplies, in line with UNFPA Asset Management Policy and Programme Supplies Policy.
- Responsible for provincial office drivers’ supervision and vehicle management.
- Coordinates office transportation requirements and provision of transportation services to officials, personnel and visitors in an efficient manner following UNFPA guidelines.
- Coordinates with the UNFPA Kathmandu office on all HR matters, including recruitments, hiring of consultants, leave monitoring, and issues relating to staff/personnel entitlements.
- Implements IT policy and ensures smooth provision, upkeep, maintenance of IT related services & equipment.
- Liaises closely with other UN personnel for any common operational matters to promote operational efficiency and cost-savings.
- Facilitates the process of getting approvals and clearances for any procurement and administrative services, including ensuring that MoUs for goods and services are up-to-date;
- Responsible for conducive working environment by ensuring continuity services, including maintenance of premises and equipment, attending to any repairs and maintenance work, safety measures for personnel, and maintenance of premises and assets at the provincial office.
- Supports the office with its Go Green initiatives, including ensuring compliance with organisational greening policies and reporting.
- Submits required documents for creation of vendors in the Atlas/ERP system and keeps the list of local vendors updated.
- Supports the office in processing timely humanitarian response actions as needed.
- Assists the Head of the Provincial Office in development and implementation of security and contingency plans.
2. Provision of accurate accounting and financial management support:
- Provides accounting and financial support to the provincial and local offices with a focus on preparation/processing of all types of payments/vouchers (including settlement of Travel Expense Claims/F10s), PO vouchers, etc.
- Ensures the timely submission of financial reports and adheres to the financial procedures.
- Analyses programme budgets/expenditures and shares with office head and programme personnel at regular intervals.
- Manages petty cash of the office and ensures timely reconciliations and replenishments.
- Ensures proper management of funds under UNFPA execution.
- Monitors expenditure ceiling of the provincial and local offices and prepares analytical financial reports obtained from Atlas/Cognos/ERP systems information to update implementation status.
- Maintains invoices, receipts and all other documentation/records required for efficient financial management, and reference, when required.
- Resolves any financial issues, ensuring high quality and accuracy of work.
3. Provision of effective programme management support:
- Assists the UNFPA provincial and local team members in the management of projects.
- Assists in preparation of budgets, grants, work plans and budget revisions.
- Responsible for entering all financial transactions in Atlas/ERP system, such as, processing of PO and non-PO vouchers; conducting physical inspection of goods delivered before accepting receipt, and submitting requests for payments.
- Extracts financial data/reports from Atlas/ERP systems, compiles financial reports and submit them to relevant colleagues for review and decision-making, as applicable.
- Follows up on submission of FACE forms and other reports from Implementing Partner focal points and assists with FACE form reviews and timely processing.
- Participates in planning and conducting assurance activities for provincial Implementing Partners, including micro-assessments, spot checks and audits.
- Assists with and facilitates conduct of audits for the provincial office, by ensuring proper filing of documents for easy referencing and retrieval.
- Ensures audit observations and recommendations are fully implemented, together with the UNFPA Kathmandu office, including those pertaining to the Implementing Partners.
- Ensures capacity building of provincial and local office personnel and the personnel of Implementing Partners on the UNFPA’s policies, procedures and regulations.
- Undertake other duties as assigned by the supervisor(s) and Country Office Leadership.
Qualifications and Experience
- Completed Secondary Level Education required.
- First level university degree in Finance, Accounting, Business or Public Administration or similar discipline desirable.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least six years progressively responsible experience in accounting, administrative services, and/or procurement in a public or private sector environment.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of clerical, administrative, secretarial best practices and procedures within a multicultural corporate environment.
- Working experience in a humanitarian setting is highly desirable.
- Must be a team player with ability to work across teams.
- Proficiency in current office software applications and corporate IT systems, and cloud-based systems, highly desirable.
- Previous experience in the UN is an asset.
- Good knowledge of ERP systems, such as, PeopleSoft, Oracle, SAP or other systems is an asset.
- Fluency in oral and written English and Nepali is required. Knowledge of other UN languages is an asset.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing diversity in all its forms
- Embracing change
- Achieving Results
- Being Accountable
- Developing and Applying Professional Expertise/Business Acumen
- Thinking analytically and Strategically
- Working in Teams/Managing Ourselves and our Relationships
- Communicating for Impact
- Implementing management systems.
- Business acumen and ability to multi-task and balance competing priorities.
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches.
- Pro-activeness and client orientation.
- Organizational awareness.
- Job knowledge/technical expertise.
- Providing strategic focus
- Engaging internal/external partners and stakeholders
- Leading, developing and empowering people/ creating a culture of performance
- Making decisions and exercising judgment
UNFPA Work Environment
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
WARNING TO APPLICANTS: UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web. Should you feel that you have received a fraudulent notice, letter or offer that makes use of the name or logo of UNFPA, you may submit a report through the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
Notice to applicants: In accordance with the rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, are required to renounce such status upon their appointment. Exceptions to this rule are very limited and can be made only for: (a) stateless persons; (b) newly appointed staff members who have applied for citizenship by naturalization, when such citizenship will be granted imminently; (c) acting staff members in the General Service and related categories with permanent residency status, on promotion to the Professional category; (d) staff members appointed under a temporary appointment. Please understand that UNFPA is not in a position to provide advice on or assistance in applying for any citizenship.
HOW TO APPLY: UNFPA has established an electronic application management system. This allows applicants to create a candidate profile, which can be updated regularly and submitted for more than one vacancy.
A full job description of the position can be accessed at https://nepal.unfpa.org/vacancies and only online applications using this link will be accepted.
Download the Step by Step Guide to Applying in the E-Recruit System of UNFPA at https://www.unfpa.org/resources/step-step-guide-applying-jobs-unfpa Please print out the Guide for your reference during the registration and application process.
Notice: There is no application, processing or other fee at any stage of the application process. UNFPA does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status. UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all, including persons with disabilities.