Website Renewable World
WASH Technical Project Officer
Location: Gorkha, occasional travel to other regions as well as Kathmandu Office.
Salary: As per the rules and regulation of Renewable World.
Contract: 24 months initial fixed term contract with possibility of extension based on performance
Responsible to: WASH Project Manager
Responsible for: Technical support to project team and reporting to Project Manager
About Renewable World (RW)
Renewable World (RW) is a UK led INGO that tackles poverty through supporting communities to accessaffordable, reliable, and sustainable renewable energy systems through innovative business models. Byconnecting remote communities with clean energy technology and linking this with appropriate training and support, our projects aim to raise household incomes, improve livelihoods, and expand opportunities. We believe that access to energy is a catalyst for change, and with this people can power themselves out of poverty.
The Project: Youth For WASH (Y4WASH) aims to harness the energy of young people to deliver WASH outcomes to rural communities situated above their water sources in Gorkha, and their local schools. This three-year project will be jointly delivered by RW, Raleigh International and our local partner, Goreto Gorkha. RW, as technical partner, will be responsible for delivering solar powered water lifting systems for multiple purposes (SolarMUS), covering all aspects of delivery including feasibility studies, system design, vendor selection, overseeing installation, and delivering community training on system operation, maintenance and good
Support the regional team, including local implementing partners, with the delivery of solar powered multiple use water lifting systems including site selection, feasibility study, implementation, testing and commissioning;Work in close collaboration with all related stakeholders at local and regional level to streamline the renewableenergy technologies in sustainable and commercial way.
- Provide technical support to ensure the achievement of project objectives and outputs to desired quality and on time.
- Take lead on site identification, pre-feasibility study, full feasibility study, developing design and cost estimate for solar powered water pumping schemes,
- Manage the implementation of technologies/infrastructures in line with the technical norms & specification following Renewable World technical standards.
- Provide assistance to manage, monitor and evaluate project progress and prepare reports in accordance with the Renewable World guidelines, using Renewable World M&E tools and methods, under the guidance of Renewable World’s WASH Project Manager and Global Technical Manager.
- Assess capacity development needs and build technical capacity of field supervisors and stakeholders.
- Represent all Renewable World projects, our models and methods, values, mission, and quality standards and contribute to developing and maintaining a network of relationships in the country and districts with a wide range of relevant stakeholders.
- Provide input into improving programme approaches and systems and supporting the team to build and deliver the most effective and sustainable development interventions possible through renewable energy.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Site Selection and Feasibility Study
- Work with project partners to conduct need assessment and identify the feasible sites for SolarMUS.
- Provide technical support to field level staff, local project partners and relevant stakeholders in collecting technical data related to SolarMUS.
- Analyse, interpret, and report on data to assess the feasibility of site, such analysis includes supply and demand needs, social conditions, social needs, technical and economic feasibility, poverty, health and educational impacts and income generation applications.
- Lead the field team to carry out the detailed feasibility study at potential site. Assist the WASH Project Manager and Global Technical Manager to analyse the data and design the technology matching the demand, prepare cost estimate, specification, and drawings.
- Assist to collect the required data for project from relevant government and private stakeholders.
- Coordinate with project partners and related stakeholders to identify and mobilize the funding resources to make the project scheme financially closure; Prepare cash flow and cost-benefit analysis.
- Assist communities to mobilize the resources from various sources for capital mix of the system, for example: Community Saving, match funding from local and provincial government, other development partners, AEPC subsidy, loan from finance institutions, etc.
- Assist the project team in tendering process, such as: prepare tender documents; Invite for bids; if necessary, organize pre-bidding meeting with interested bidders and visit the sites; collection and evaluation of bid documents; preparation of tender documents, etc.
Construction, Technology Installation and Commissioning
- Induction/orientation to users’ committee/owner about implementation plan. Induct to
masons/technicians about system layout, design-drawings, and specification.
- Work in collaboration with project partners and community mobilisers, provide technical advice and guidance to maximise the use of local resources (cash/kind/local construction materials) in each community and household level for RET installation including any distribution and civil construction.
- Provide technical backstopping during construction phase. Such technical backstopping will be clearly defined and documented and agreed upon between yourself, the Global Technical Manager, WASH Project Manager and implementing partners, including the creation and standardisation of a set of replicable tools.
- Identify any critical technical and delivery issues that can affect the work quality or delay the project and prepare the catch-up plan to mitigate those issues and complete the project on time in coordination with the project team.
- Regular monitor and supervise all the technical aspects of the project implementation and make sure the completion of all schemes in a timely, efficient and accurate manner with respect to specified and authorised design including quality and quantity; appropriate to the community’s expressed needs and the target impacts; verify the technology output at site matches with designed output.
- Following the Renewable World project Implementation model, support the project team in organizing public/ social audits at different agreed milestones in the project cycle. Such as public/social audit shall be aligned with the handover to the community of a well-functioning, high-quality, well-understood renewable energy system fit for purpose.
- Using the Renewable World implementation model, methods and tools, capacitate the implementing partners, communities, users’ committee and other relevant local stakeholders to be able to deliver, represent and explain each scheme’s fee structure, collection of fees and deliver the services.
- Prepare and share the project progress report on defined time (monthly, quarterly, mid-term and final project report) in the standard formats, such work will necessarily include quantitative and qualitative data collation, interpretation and analysis.
- Adhere to Renewable World’s Code of Conduct, Enhanced Code of Conduct and follow Renewable World’s Safeguarding Policy at all times.
- Represent Renewable World, our values, vision and mission in the regions and districts where you operate in a professional, honest, transparent and positive way to help build Renewable World’s image and brand in the regions and district as an organisation committed to poverty alleviation and collaboration in Nepal.
- Deliver all project activities in line with Renewable World’s Community Centred Model, Sustainability Toolkit and associated toolsets.
- Contribute to the development and presentation of evidence-based learning papers.
- From time to time undertake other reasonable tasks and responsibilities as requested by direct line Manager
- Attend regular supervision and take active initiation in personal professional development.
Qualification, Experience and Attributes
- Bachelors’ degree in civil or relevant engineering field with 5 years of work experience or Diploma in relevant engineering field with more than 10 years of work experience in the field of solar water pumping technology and multi-use water system (MUS) survey, design and installation
- Experience of using AutoCAD to produce necessary technical drawings, and able to make regular filed visits in the remote areas
- Proven experience in the usage of computer and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and able to write reports in English
- Ability to take direction and feedback from senior staff and ensure that activities are in line with Detailed Implementation Plans and budgets.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. However, it is inevitable that responsibilities and tasks may be varied and unpredictable. It is expected of the staff to respond with a flexible approach when tasks arise which are not specifically covered in this job description. Should an additional responsibility or task become a regular part of an employee’s job, the job description will be amended in consultation with the employee.
Please visit our website for full JD. https://renewable-world.org/about-us/our-team/work-with-us/
Applying for the post:
Please send your CV and a covering letter (1-page only) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications: Sunday 26th December
Interview date: January: date to be confirmed shortly
Interested candidates (women and disadvantaged groups are highly encouraged to apply) meeting above criteria are requested to send complete CV with the name of two references and contact number. Only short-listed candidates will be called for further selection process. The employer reserves all the rights to accept or reject any or all the applications without any reasons thereof. Undue influence will result in automatic rejection of application.