Website Plan International
Position: WASH SDG-Program Coordinator
Number of Vacancies: 1
Functional Area: Program
Reports to: Program Specialist
Location: Partner Office-Itahari
Effective Date: 1 July 2020
Type: Fixed Term Employment until June 2022 based in Itahari
ABOUT PLAN INTERNATIONAL
Plan International is a development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We strive for a just world, working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners in over 75 countries. Our programs are underpinned by a core of defined values, including transparency and accountability, team collaboration, inclusion and integration, as well as the overall ambition to empower girls and young women as legacy.
Plan International has been working in Nepal since 1978 and developed a strong reputation as a respected development and humanitarian actor helping marginalized children, their families and communities to access their rights to health, education, economic security and protection. Through the support of local partners, Plan International works in 24 districts in Nepal.
Plan International Nepal has a vision for 2030 as “an inclusive, just and safe society where all girls and young women enjoy their rights and live in freedom”. This is coupled with the ambition of taking action so that 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive as “Girls and young women in all of their diversity reach their full potential as equal and active citizens” by 2023. The country strategy is put into action through the implementation of three interrelated program areas defined as follows:
LEARN: the “Education and Skills and Opportunities for Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship (SOYEE)” program aims to assist vulnerable and excluded girls and young women in adapting and thriving in a changing climate;
LEAD AND DECIDE: the “Youth as Active Drivers of Change and Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR)” program aims to empower girls and young women in leading change, having control over their bodies and making informed decisions; and
THRIVE: the “Early Childhood Development (ECD), Child Protection and Child Poverty” program enhances vulnerable and excluded children, especially girls, to be valued and cared for without discrimination, fear and any forms of violence.
Plan international Nepal seeks candidates who practice feminist leadership, promote diversity, actively seek innovative solutions for problems, courageously and respectfully share their opinions and ideas, break down barriers and engender cross-department collaboration, practice active listening, maintain confidentiality, build trust and are passionate about children’s rights and equality for girls.
Ensuring achievements of intended outcomes and impacts of gender transformative Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Program working closely under the operational guidance of and reporting to the Program Specialist- Thrive (ECD) and technical guidance to Project Manager.
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
- Budget accountability: N/A
- Reports to : Program Specialist
- Internal and External interfaces:
Design and Develop strategy/framework
- Contribute in the process of drafting and finalizing WASH program proposals working with program team at Field & Country Office along with partner staff
- Designed and ensure implementation of the gender transformative and nutrition sensitive project activities in line with need of community and project activities
- Contribute to support in developing strategies for gender transformative disaster risk management plans, Action plan / policy formation to local government to create sustainable program planning and its implementation
- Ensure the local government annual programs are designed to strengthen community resilience through gender transformative and disability inclusive and , climate change adaptation, sustainability prospect and M&E system strengthen which overall, more focusing to strengthen the local governance system
- Ensure all level WASH Coordination Committee from province to ward level are reactivated and function by adhere to Country Strategy and National Sanitation and Hygiene Master Plan and other relevant guidelines and policies.
- Ensure integration of disaster risk reduction and climate vulnerability in to WASH and infrastructure in development Programs and projects as necessary in the project.
- Ensure implementation of resilient infrastructure and child, gender and disable friendly WASH facilities and other infrastructures as per National Building Code and other relevant norms and followed by polies and practices.
- Ensure schools sanitation program are focusing with MHM and gender prospect
- Ensure project cycle is followed in project including project governance set up at implementation level including kick off meetings, drafting of project outlines, implementation of activities, Gantt chart, project charter, risk analysis, stakeholders analysis and communication plan as per the project requirement. Ensure Project cycle management plan is reviewed quarterly and update it.
- Ensure baseline, mid and end term evaluation are done in the project
- Review projects under WASH SDG periodically and ensure project objectives are achieved effectively or not and document it and report to project manager
- Develop Project Outline (PO) and finalization of detail implementation plan (DIP).
- Review Partners proposal/ provide feedback and do correction before forwarding it to Head of WASH & Resilience at Country Office
- Review project documents and progress report to ensure activities carried out are of quality and implemented on time as per project activities guideline.
- Identify risks and challenges in the project implementation, management and provide solution to achieve project goal / results.
- Review of design and estimate community based Water schemes and sanitation infrastructures to ensure its quality and resilience with resource leverage from local government and community.
- Identify the training needs/gap of the partner staff and provide/recommend training plans to develop their technical expertise. Monitor their progress through an annual capacity assessment and support to partners as per the annual development plan.
- Knowledge management through, sharing good practice, lessons learned ensuring that gender transformative and Child Protection is mainstreamed in WASH sectors
- Conduct regular reviews of budgets and work plans to ensure compliance with donor specific requirements and address any changes to the original plan in time and communicate with Project manager for approval on time.
Monitoring and supervision
- Ensure effective project monitoring by monthly target vs achievement tracking and taking necessary corrective actions that are being followed up and reviewed periodically
- Undertake frequent field monitoring visits and report performance against established schedules and targets
- Based on the data/information provided by Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) Coordinator/ MERL specialist provide input & make decision on effective monitoring and program review process.
- Work closely with the MERL Coordinator at Field Office and also with WASH SDG MERL Specialist at Country Office to ensure that implementation of activities is done in line with M&E framework requirements. This include ensuring that links exist with reporting requirements, data management, documentation of best practices, case studies and learning and as set out in plan/log frame and annual plan
- Consolidate and review report WASH SDG project monthly , quarterly, six-monthly and annually and submit to project manager and MERL specialist, Program Specialist.
- Closely work with local government to strengthen the M&E system within the project geographical location
- Ensure Gender and WASH monitoring tools are applied in filed (GWMT) for genders sensitization and as monitoring tools in working community.
Working with Partnership
- Work closely with Field Office other team and partners to achieve program quality as per Program Quality Policy, building better partnership-global guideline, global approach to program and influence.
- Assess the partner’s capacity in terms of technical skills for project delivery, design a training plan to enhance their capacity and monitor it regularly in coordination with Program Specialist and Project Manager
- Strengthen the capacity of implementing partner organizations on strengthening gender transformative and inclusive WASH facilities and system for all children especially for girls, children with disabilities and Dalit children.
- Working together with local authorities to identify key area to strengthen stronger inclusive and gender-sensitive WASH governance at school and village/municipal level.
- Provide technical support and feedback to field based staff, CBO, NGOs, R/Municipality level Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Coordination Committees (WASH CCs), community user’s groups and other concerned individuals to ensure quality design, accountability and implementation of WASH activities.
- Ensure the partnership plan is on track and revise the partnership agreement as necessary as per the partnership guideline
Advocacy & Campaigns
- Contribute to develop priority district/local level campaigns ensuring harmonisation with global/national priority campaigns in collaboration with project manage, gender specialist and Head of Influencing.
- Lead sectoral networking and representation and build relationships and alliances with relevant networks, government bodies, federations and other agencies at district and local level.
- Lead evidence based lobby and advocacy within local and province level the sectoral program in planning and delivering campaigning and advocacy work and ensure that programme plans include influencing objectives
- Represent Plan in relevant committees, professional networks and mechanism to maintain organisation’s professional image.
- Be innovative to lead campaigns at local and advocacy for disability and social inclusion in education and reduce the barriers for children with disabilities (CWDs) to ensure a welcoming learning environment.
- Contribute to communications and media work as required.
- Influence the Program area team, country team and management on the formulation and implementation of community and school based WASH, and other small scale infrastructure related development Program (as per CS) in line with ‘National Sanitation and Hygiene Master Plan and guideline’, ‘’Total Sanitation Guideline’, ‘child to child approach’ National Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Policy, ‘WASH in School Operating Procedure’ and ‘National Building Code’., Sanitary pad distribution in schools operational guideline Schools MHM guideline, 3 star approach, etc
Contribute in emergency responses in assigned location as per organisational need.
- Support in development and timely implementation of WASH specific disaster preparedness and response and contingency plan in emergencies, post-conflict situations and during recovery and reconstruction:
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Knowledge and Experience
- Master’s degree in social since/ engineering within 1-2 years of experience or Bachelor of engineering with 2-3 years of experiences in WASH project
- Clear understanding of the development sector, its operating and regulatory environment ( in rural Nepal)
- Clear understanding of the socio/political economic and cultural issues of Nepal, specifically post located districts of the country.
- Clear in-depth technical and practical knowledge and understanding of the relevant job with understanding in gender issues in WASH.
- Analytical, strategic thinking and negotiating skills.
- Ability to build effective relations for influencing and team work.
- Excellent organisation and prioritizing skills
- Ability to write clearly and concisely in English and Nepali
- Innovative and creative thinking with problem solving
- Managing work relationships (internal/external), coordination and networking.
- Proven IT skills: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint etc.
- Report writing and documentation.
- Ability to priorities and multitask work when dealing with competing deadlines, sometimes with limited resources.
PLAN INTERNATIONAL’S VALUES IN PRACTICE
We are open and accountable
- Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
- Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
- Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
- Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
- Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
- Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
- Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
- Focuses resources to drive change and maximize long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
- Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
- Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
- Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
- Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
- Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
- We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
- We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
- We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
- Based in Partner Office- Itahari
- Work with multi-culture and multi-lingual staff/ as team members with partners, Regional team and Country office team as good team play
- 70-80% field mobilization to ensure the project quality
- Prefer to have two wheel licensing
LEVEL OF CONTACT WITH CHILDREN
Low contact: Occasional interaction with children.
Say Yes ! To Keeping Children and Young people safe and Protected.
Source: Kantipur Dainik, 13 March, 2021