WASH Officer- Technical (9303)
Are you aiming to work for an organization where it is worthwhile investing your personality, your skills and your time? Are you looking for a job that is exciting and has clear goals? Welcome to Welthungerhilfe!
We are one of the largest and most respected private organisations for development cooperation and humanitarian aid in Germany. As a politically and confessionally independent organisation, our value-oriented actions are always based on ethical principles. Our vision is clear: “Zero Hunger by 2030” – If you want to become part of our global mission to end hunger around the world, we look forward to receiving your application as:
WASH Officer- Technical* in Saptari
The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract till December 2022. There are very good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Saptari, Nepal. The position is paid according to paygrade.
The WASH Officer-Technical is responsible to lead and assure the quality of technical aspects of community-based drinking water supply systems, WASH in schools and public institutions. She/He is responsible for finalization, technical feasibility, design/ drawing, endorsement, and quality monitoring, including ensuring the functionality of the systems. The position will build the capacity of partner’s technical staff (civil engineers) and coordinates closely with government’s technical department to ensure project work is in line with their guidelines and compliance as well.
- Being responsible for all engineering work in the WASH programme.
- Provide inputs for the selection of drinking water supply and WASH in school intervention sites considering the project target groups.
- Oversee and finalize the design and BoQs of water supply system/water points, including sanitation facilities with high quality standards and technological options.
- Ensure the construction quality of the WASH facilities as per WHH and government guidelines/procedures.
- Monitoring and supervision of constructed WASH facilities and provide technical guidance to partner organisations.
- In cooperation with the partner, ensure that pre/post construction training is conducted for WUSCs, and VMW and that WSP are integrated in in the implementation of drinking water supply.
- Build capacity of partner engineer/sub-engineers on quality construction of WASH facilities via on-site training/coaching, monitoring and supervision
- Actively participate at district and regional level technical coordination meetings
- The position will closely work and coordinate with WHH Technical Expert– WASH & DRR on technical design and construction and proactively seeks technical backstopping while implementing the WASH project.
- At least 5 years of similar experience with I/NGOs and government specially in Terai region of Nepal.
- Graduate in civil/environmental engineering with focus on WASH and groundwater.
- Solid working experience in water supply, sanitation and hygiene particularly focusing on safely managed drinking water, Post ODF, Fecal Sludge Management and Solid Waste management.
- Strong command on project cycle management for WASH projects including site selection, technical design and assessing options for ground water
- Knowledge of the Right based approach and of GESI, nutrition tools and gender sensitive programming would be an advantage.
- Willingness to travel extensively to WHH project locations and ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to prepare technical reports in English language reflecting progress, achievements, problems, possible solutions and learnings.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English and Nepali. Knowledge of Terai local languages (Maithali) would be an added advantage.
- Valid two-wheeler driving license, able to ride a motorcycle in rural environment
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale.
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by April 24, 2022. Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.