Position: UNV Gender – Strategic Programme Communication Associate
Host Entity: UNICEF
Duty Station: Kathmandu (NPL)
Language Skills: English
Start Date: Immediate
Duration: until 31 March 2022
Application Deadline: 04 April 2021
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Regional Gender Adviser or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Gender – Strategic Programme Communication Associate will:
- Technical support to the South Asia Regional Gender Monthly Meeting with developing the ROSA strategic communication products related to Gender
a. Design and roll out Quarterly gender newsletters and monthly ROSA bulletin
b. Maintain cross-cutting programming matrix (COVID19) and produce annotated bibliographies and information sheets summarizing COVID19 guidance and resources.
- Develop a Regional framework / campaign series on shifting gender norms in South Asia and develop partnerships -with reference to adolescent girls and key gender stereotypes in media/social-public space
- Organize and documents Brown Bag Lunches; 1) develop a 2 pager concept brief with a summary outline of the key steps to follow when organizing Brown Bag Lunch, 2) Review case studies monthly to identify suitable cases, liaise the speakers to arrange presentations.
- Compile a list of key internal communication products and publications according to specified categories from the Regional Office (RO) and Countries Offices (COs).
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities in the course of their work. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Provide annual and end of assignment self-reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities.
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
Required Education Level: Master’s degree
Required Experience: At least 2 years of work experience
Education, qualifications, skills, experience, areas of expertise:
- Advanced university degree (Bachelor/Masters) in the social sciences, gender, women’s studies, international development, or in an area relevant to UNICEF’s sectoral work (e.g. Health, Nutrition, WASH, Education, Child Protection, Social Inclusion, HIV/AIDs, etc.). A higher qualification will be and added advantage
- Academic credentials in gender are a strong asset.
- At least 2 years of experience and demonstrated track record of having undertaken strategic programme communication and demonstrated skills in writing and research
- Good knowledge of the gender and social context of the South Asia Region is required
- Experience of working with UNICEF, sister UN agencies and other partners is an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities, presentation and editorial skills in English
- Ability in working independently and to a clear work plan being directly accountable
- Proficiency in English language is required
Driving license: No
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Professionalism, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete
all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the
‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you
would like to apply.
This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of ( the Programme Country) and legal residents in ( the
Programme Country or territory) with the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply.
Application deadline: 04-04-2021.