Position: Policy Specialist (Governance and Coordination) – 1 position, Level : SB 5 / Peg 1
Location : Kathmandu, NEPAL
Additional Category : Sustainable Development and Poverty Reduction
Type of Contract : Other
Post Level : Other
Languages Required : English
Duration of Initial Contract : One year with possibility of extension
Accelerating Implementation of Sustainable Development Goals in Nepal is a joint project of National Planning Commission (NPC) and UNDP which is implemented under the National Implementation Modality (NIM) from Jan 2020 to Dec 2023. The project is supported by UNDP Nepal, UN Environment, European Union and Austrian Development Agency. The project aims to support Nepal in achieving the SDGs by creating enabling environment and capacity development to mitigate SDGs financing gap as well as through accelerated implementation. To achieve this, the project works with federal, provincial and local governments as well as private sector and CSOs, for SDG based planning, budgeting and investment with focus on poverty-environment-climate/disaster and Gender equality & Social inclusion concerns. The objective of the project will be achieved through two inter-linked outcomes: 1) Planning, budgeting, monitoring & reporting systems at all levels of government are SDG responsive and functional; and 2) Resilient and innovative financing available for SDG implementation.
The Policy Specialist (Governance and Coordination) will work under the overall guidance and supervision of the National Project Director, National Project Coordinator and relevant division of NPC and reports to National Project Manager (NPM).
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Substantive technical support and advisory services to the National Planning Commission, especially in the areas of governance and cross cutting considering agenda 2030 and SDGs;
2. Contribution to project analytical and advisory work across national and sub national level focusing on social, environment and economic dimension of SDG;
3. Substantive contribution to strengthen institutional and coordination mechanism for monitoring SDG progress at federal, provincial and local government level;
4. Knowledge management and contribute to accelerating SDG implementation.
The key responsibilities of the assignment are:
1) Substantive technical support and advisory services to the National Planning Commission, especially in the areas of governance and crosscutting issues considering agenda 2030 and SDGs:
• In line with SDG priorities, navigate entry points and pivotal considerations for integrating effective governance, institutional and coordination mechanism for achieving the SDGs;
• Be an active member of the project team, implementing the national priorities and bring the best practices and feasible approaches on SDG governance and institutional mechanism;
• Support in the identification of opportunities and emerging risks arising in implementation of SDGs;
• Provide policy advise and programme development services, that respond to project needs in forging partnerships with at federal, provincial and local government through the provision of capacity building support to achieve outcomes of the project and prepare plans to support and promote synergies.
2) Contribution to project analytical and advisory work across national and sub national level focusing on social, environment and economic dimension of SDG and institution development:
• Contribute to the design and implementation of the AISN project plan by creating and delivering whole-of-government approach to address the SDGs in an integrated way;
• Facilitate technical activities development, program support and collaboration functions equipping policy practitioners with the relevant policy advise, leadership skills and competencies;
• Provide integrated solutions and works across sectoral teams to provide inputs and technical guidance on SDG governance and institutional coordination support;
• Enhances planning and budgeting tools to account for the SDGs and other cross-cutting priorities including poverty, environmental, climate and gender considerations;
• Develop engagement framework to engage relevant stakeholder from federal, provincial, local government, parliament, academia, civil society organization, private sector and media for effectiveness and efficiency of SDG implementation;
• Substantive and results-focused area of work development and regular reporting of results achieved and the integration of the results in the project.
3) Substantive contribution to strengthen institutional and coordination mechanism for monitoring SDG progress at federal, provincial and local government level:
• Provide technical and facilitation support to the SDGs coordination committee and working groups as necessary and ensure that these committees are active and functional to accelerate SDGs implementation in Nepal;
• Assess needs and status of coordination at province and local level and support in design and facilitation of SDG institutional and coordination mechanism;
• Contribute to the identification and scoping of technical issues within the project team to research, develop and share knowledge-based tools, such as policy positions/practice notes/concept papers and other research-based products to influence/advance SDG governance, intuitional and coordination mechanism at all levels;
• Contribute to the design, adoption and delivery of training to facilitate learning, foster and encourage policy innovation and continuous improvement to enhance policy advice and program delivery.
4) Knowledge management and contribute to accelerating SDG implementation:
• Contribute in the shaping, producing, and disseminating SDG knowledge product to help articulate NPC positioning on key issues in this area, including through policy dialogues, conferences and use of information technologies;
• Support in design and facilitation of public and private sector SDG dialogue platform to feed information, knowledge on governance and coordination mechanism for SDG implementation;
• Support the capacity development of key public and private sectors official in SDG aligned planning, budgeting and monitoring and evaluation framework;
• Contribute to advocacy efforts key public and private sector on SDG based priorities at all levels.
5) Ensure strengthening Gender and Social Inclusion work through project interventions:
• Provide advice and direction on strategic and policy issues to strengthen gender & social inclusion initiatives in the programme plan and implementation strategy;
• Facilitate in creating an environment to address GESI issues;
• Ensure gender and inclusion issues are substantially incorporated in policy notes and briefs where ever possible;
• Liaise with CO Gender Specialist as per the need for effective implementation of the GESI strategy and other guiding tools.
Impact of Results:
Effectively functioning of project implementation focusing on governance and coordination mechanism for SDG implementation with results orientation and quality reporting in a timely manner.
• Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
• Serves and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the UNDP;
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
• Good inter-personal skills;
• Clear and upfront communication skills;
• Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
• Display cultural and gender sensitivity and adaptability;
• Collaborates effectively in a team environment;
• Organized and good with following-up on pending issues; meets deadlines;
• Promote learning and knowledge management/sharing;
• Focused on delivering results by taking calculated-risks and problem-solving approach;
• Fair and transparent decision making; regularly shares information with team members;
• Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development.
• Promotes sharing of knowledge and experience, and actively works towards continued learning and development on personal level as well as for supervisees;
• Good practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues;
• Ability to go beyond established procedures and models, propose new approaches which expand the range of projects;
• Demonstrates strong numerical and analytical skills;
• Has experience working with Monitoring and Evaluation tools;
• Experience in developing business plans for financial institutions including energy enterprises;
• Experience in coordination, technical assistance and advisory support top government and private institutions;
• Experienced in delivering training and other needed capacity/ institutional building support to a wide range of stakeholders including financial institutions;
• Demonstrates excellent organizational and administrative skills;
• Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate;
• Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders;
• Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
• Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
• Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
• Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda;
• Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work;
• Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
• Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration.
Required Skills and Experience
• Master’s degree in development studies, public policy, public governance, public administration, economics, finance, social science, or another relevant subject.
• At least seven years of relevant work experience in public (national or multilateral, including UN) or academia, non-governmental sector. Prior experience working in Governance, institutional strengthening and Cross cutting Sector;
• Proven track record and leadership experience related to social or economic or environmental governance or integrated sustainable development issues in Nepal;
• Demonstrated familiarity with integrated or SDG programming and ability to work across a broad range of thematic areas related to social, economic and environmental issues;
• Excellent negotiating and communication skills and ability to mobilize support from a wide range of partners (public, private, academic, civil society, parliament, business community leaders, etc);
• Proven experience with strong technical and highly developed programmatic capabilities;
• Politically astute with demonstrated experience in stakeholder analysis, relationship building, networking and engagement;
• Prior experience working in capacity development, knowledge management, communication, monitoring and evaluation will be an asset;
• Extensive experience of RBM methodologies and tools (project and programme management, design, monitoring and evaluation) and report writing.
• Fluency in oral and written English and Nepali is essential.
• Well versed in computer applications like Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
• Good report writing skill is highly preferable.
Last date to apply: 29 April 2020