Swisscontact is a leading partner organisation for the implementation of international development projects. In Nepal, Swisscontact is registered as an INGO that started its operations in 1991. Currently, Swisscontact Nepal (SCN) has five development programmes across different provinces of the country.
SCN provides technical support to the Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training (CTEVT)/National Skill Testing Board (NSTB) to implement Nepal Vocational Qualifications System Project (NVQS-P). The Government of Switzerland/Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) provides financial and technical assistance to develop National Vocational Qualifications System (NVQS) and to establish a corresponding NVQ Authority in Nepal through NVQS-P.
For the second Phase of NVQS-P, we invite applications from committed and experienced Nepali citizens for the following position.
Number of Vacancies: 3
Location: One Technical Coordinator each in NVQS Project Support Unit (PSU) Offices at Province 2, Gandaki and Lumbini Provinces with frequent field-visits
Reports to: Deputy Team Leader (Management)
Duration: One year with possibility of extension
Purpose of the Job
The Technical Coordinator is responsible to support the coordination and implementation of the project activities in federal, provincial, and local levels ensuring adherence to the log frame targets. Key roles of the Technical Coordinators are to align all the core tasks with Yearly Plan of Operations (YPO) of the project and to ensure that every process will include GESI considerations.
The Technical Coordinator works closely with the Team Leader, the Deputy Team Leaders, Process Managers, International Experts and ensures proper execution of the implementation strategies. The Technical Coordinator reports to the Deputy Team Leader (Management).
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
1. Compliance to the policies, rules/regulations, and guidelines
- Adhere relevant policies, procedures, rules, regulations, and guidelines of Swisscontact Nepal (Financial and Operation Manuals, Code of Conduct Against Corruption, Conflict of Interest, Basic Operating Guideline (BoG), Local Security Management Plan, Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Guideline, Communication Guideline and other specific policies guidelines and manuals applicable for the NVQS-P).
2. Technical Assistance on Program Implementation (40%)
- Facilitate Project Implementation and Coordination Committee (PICC) Project Coordination Unit (PCU) at province for the effective implementation of project activities as per the agreed Yearly Plan of Operation (YPO).
- Support in management and mobilization of assessors, National Competency Standard (NCS) developers, assessment package developers, Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) desk officers in assigned province.
- Support accredited assessment centers in quality skill assessment.
- Support provincial government/PICC/PCU/local government to manage regular skill assessments and on demand skill assessments.
- Support to design the capacity development strategies for the project partners and its stakeholders
- Exhibit strong competencies in managing pilot projects and facilitating the exchange of ideas and information between different NVQS stakeholders at Province Level.
- Prepare for key meetings, workshops and related activities and support in preparing materials as needed to expand the outreach and advocacy for wider acceptance of NVQS at Local and Province level.
- Facilitate inputs of actors and stakeholders of NVQS and the team members for various provincial level events and prepare event reports.
- Seek inputs and guidance from the sector specific industry skill committees as well as from relevant industries at Local and Province level ensuring quality of the competency standards.
3. Planning, Monitoring, Reporting and Knowledge Management (30%)
- Support Deputy Team Leader (management) in terms of program planning, implementation, development of standard frameworks.
- Ensure regular monitoring and follow-up of the activities in the field through mobilization of Monitoring Officers under Project Support Unit (PSU) and/or through joint monitoring team formed at each Province.
- Ensure monitoring activities are aligned with the project log frame and monitoring and quality assurance guideline formulated by the project.
- Provide feedback from the field experience to develop capacity development strategies of the project and its stakeholders.
- Document the processes, lessons learned, best practices, case studies and other relevant information regularly and feed into the project’s reporting and knowledge management system.
- Support and contribute to the project management to commission studies where appropriate, and ensure the quality of all studies, surveys and assessments carried out in the assigned province.
- Support Deputy Team Leader (management) on preparing Yearly Plan of Operation (YPO), semi-annual, and annual progress reports and other periodic reports of the project.
- Support to review the strategies on a regular basis and ensure the project monitoring and results are well documented and reported.
4. Coordination, Collaboration and Networking (20%)
- Lead all kind of coordination and collaborations to implement the project activities and strategies at Province and local level.
- Liaise with provincial government, province Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training (CTEVT), local government, and private sector stakeholders to implement the Yearly Plan of Operation (YPO).
- Facilitate to form groups/networks in municipality level for discussion and orientation in Technical and Vocational Education and Training.
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders and ensure partnerships are made based on the need of the strategies at province level.
- Be proactive on establishing a good network among the stakeholders to increase the ownership and to advocate for the Vocational Qualifications System (VQS) establishment at province and local level.
5. Project Management at province level (10%)
- Work as an overall in-charge of project for assigned province and manage all the project staff working at assigned province.
- Ensure a regular team meeting at province level, prepare a period plan (at least quarterly) and share with line management.
- Guide/Supervise the performance of the staff working under the assigned province.
- Take overall responsibility of Project Support Unit (PSU) office management at province level as per the authority given by the project management.
6. Other Specific Responsibilities
- Professionally discharge other tasks assigned by the project management.
- Be proactive in bringing innovation and taking new initiative in the project in coordination with project management.
- Proactively seek and contribute to inter-project collaboration with other inhouse projects of Swisscontact Nepal whereas possible
Qualification and Experience
The individual must conform to the following qualifications and expertise:
- Master’s degree in relevant field (Education/TVET/Workforce education/Management/Business Studies/Development Studies).
- Minimum of five years of work experience (including at least two years of management experience) in relevant field (i.e. development cooperation and/or, TVET sector programs).
- Knowledge and work experience of vocational qualifications systems and importance of quality management system would be an advantage.
- Ability and willingness to work in a team to deliver high quality outputs within deadlines in a dynamic and fast-paced work environment.
▪ Experience in roles and interrelationship among development organisation, federal, provincial, and local governments in the program development and implementation process.
▪ Proficiency in MS Office work and Internet use and basic project management tools.
▪ Willingness and ability to frequent field visit travels.
- High level of motivation and good communication, social, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work and act under pressure and with discretion in a politically sensitive environment.
- Ability to influence, communicate, co-operate, and negotiate with a wide range of stakeholders (including government) with tact, diplomacy, and sensitivity to cultural differences.
- In-depth knowledge on development and gender and social inclusion issues.
- Respect and sensitivity towards cultural, gender, ethnicity, and religious diversity.
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture within the project and outside.
- Focuses on impact and results and responds positively to feedback.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Demonstrates ability for Self-development and initiative-taking.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity.
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork and managing conflict.
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Client oriented, internally, and externally.
- Excellent Communication skill in both English and Nepali (verbal and written).
Working Conditions and Environment
- This will be applicable in accordance with the Swisscontact Staff Manual.
Please submit your current CV with at least two referees, Job Application Form and a cover letter to email@example.com latest by 20 November 2021.
Please mention the position applied for in the “subject” line of your email.
Swisscontact Nepal shall not entertain any phone enquiries or other such solicitations for these positions. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the selection process. Swisscontact Nepal reserves the right to reject any or all applications.
Swisscontact Nepal promotes workforce diversity and applies positive discrimination to candidates from discriminated groups (Women, Dalit, Janajati, Madhesi/Terai and other minority communities).