Organization: Plan International Nepal
Position: Senior Technical Advisor – Gender & Inclusion
Number of Vacancies: 1
Job Location: Country Office, Kathmandu
Functional Area : Program
Reports to : Director of Program Quality and Innovation
Travel required : Plan International Nepal working districts
Effective Date : 1st July 2020
Grade : D2
Type : For 2 years starting 1 July 2020 based in Country Office
ABOUT PLAN INTERNATIONAL
Plan International is a development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We strive for a just world, working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners in over 75 countries. Our programs are underpinned by a core of defined values, including transparency and accountability, team collaboration, inclusion and integration, as well as the overall ambition to empower girls and young women as legacy.
Plan International has been working in Nepal since 1978 and developed a strong reputation as a respected development and humanitarian actor helping marginalised children, their families and communities to access their rights to health, education, economic security and protection. Through the support of local partners, Plan International works in 24 districts in Nepal.
Plan International Nepal has a vision for 2030 as “an inclusive, just and safe society where all girls and young women enjoy their rights and live in freedom”. This is coupled with the ambition of taking action so that 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive as “Girls and young women in all of their diversity reach their full potential as equal and active citizens” by 2023. The country strategy is put into action through the implementation of three interrelated program areas defined as follows:
LEARN: the “Education and Skills and Opportunities for Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship (SOYEE)” program aims to assist vulnerable and excluded girls and young women in adapting and thriving in a changing climate;
LEAD AND DECIDE: the “Youth as Active Drivers of Change and Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR)” program aims to empower girls and young women in leading change, having control over their bodies and making informed decisions; and
THRIVE: the “Early Childhood Development (ECD), Child Protection and Child Poverty” program enhances vulnerable and excluded children, especially girls, to be valued and cared for without discrimination, fear and any forms of violence.
Plan international Nepal seeks candidates who practice feminist leadership, promote diversity, actively seek innovative solutions for problems, courageously and respectfully share their opinions and ideas, break down barriers and engender cross-department collaboration, practice active listening, maintain confidentiality, build trust and are passionate about children’s rights and equality for girls.
The Senior Technical Advisor gender and inclusion initiates, leads and provides strategic direction for programme design and quality assurance as well as technical leadership and support in matters related to gender equality, promoting and aiming to effectively integrate gender transformative and inclusive approaches across all programs dedicated to child rights and equality for girls.
The position holder will be working in an integrated manner with other teams in both the Country Office and Field Offices to ensure that Plan International Nepal’s programs and projects maximise their positive impact for children and youth people in integrating gender and discrimination approaches.
S/he is responsible to achieve a rights-based, gender transformative and inclusive program focusing on national level influencing while supporting provincial, district and municipal level influencing through Plan International’s field offices. S/he leads and provides meaningful advice in a politically challenging context.
Finally, s/he develops strengthening positive and trustworthy relationships and partnerships with a broad range of external stakeholders that have the potential to add value to our work and create positive disruptions to existing approaches.
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
Design and Develop strategy/framework
• Define and develop the program strategy related to gender and inclusion issues ensuring the integration of such issues across all strategic programs;
• Responsible for ensuring that all projects meet Plan’s gender transformative and inclusion standards; and
• Identify, develop, deliver and disseminate tools, guidelines and standards for the implementation of effective gender and inclusion change work within the organization.
Project Technical Support
• Provide technical expertise in the design and implementation of projects and technical support to the Country Office and Field/regional offices in assessing gender and inclusion challenges and integrating evidence based and innovative approaches and solutions;
• Assist in developing capacity building in the country office and field offices:
• Provide technical advice and support as part of the regular program reviews and provide feedback to the program team at Country Office and Field Office levels;
• Provide technical support and work closely with HR to provide capacity building recommendations and training on gender and inclusion issues;
• Comply and ensure compliance with policies and procedures of the Country Office as well as the relevant applicable specifications and standards while providing technical support to projects; and
• Provide technical support in the development of cross-cutting gender and inclusion programs and projects to country offices.
• Proactively seek out opportunities for funding, investigating and developing innovative and creative new relationships in relation to gender and inclusion;
• Work in collaboration with technical colleagues, the Business Development Team and NO on proposal design and budget allocation:
• Responsible for all new project designs in that sector developing proposals ensuring compliance with required quality and standards of donors and regularly reviewing donors report and progress and improve quality.
Working with Partnerships
• Collaborate with the Field Implementation and Partnership Manager, Field Offices and strategic partners to achieve program quality as per Program Quality Policy and comply with all partnerships obligations;
• Responsible for timely delivery of project activities as per project log frame, theory of change and detailed implementation plan and share the report to Field Implementation and Partnership Manager;
• Critically evaluate partner’s capacity in terms of technical skills for project delivery; and
• Responsible for the design of a training plan to enhance the Partner’s capacity and monitor it regularly in coordination with FieldImplementation and Partnership Manager.
Advocacy & Influencing
• Provide leadership to develop priority national campaigns ensuring harmonization with global priority campaigns in collaboration with the Director of Influencing, Campaigns and Communications;
• Lead sectoral networking and representation and build relationships and alliances with relevant networks, government bodies, federations and other agencies;
• Lead evidence-based lobby and advocacy within the sectoral program and work closely with the [Head of Influencing] in planning and delivering campaigning and advocacy work and ensure that programme plans include influencing objectives; and
• Coordinate the production of briefing papers, policy position and public communication materials on child rights/gender & inclusion issues.
PLAN INTERNATIONAL’S VALUES IN PRACTICE
We are open and accountable
• Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
• Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
• Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
• Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
• Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
• Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
• Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
• Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
• Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
• Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
• Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
• Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
• Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
• We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
• We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
• We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Knowledge and Experience
• Master’s Degree in Development Studies, Political Science, Human Rights or a relevant field with 2-3 years of proven experience working in professional influencing role or Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant sector with 4-5 years of demonstrated experience;
• Demonstrated experience in gender and inclusion management including program design, implementation and evaluation and resource management;
• In depth practical knowledge of inter disciplinary development issues affecting children, women and families;
• Demonstrated experience in successfully using key influencing strategies such as advocacy, lobbying, movement building, or policy development; and
• Experienced in carrying out power, policy and political analysis to inform strategies and projects.
• Demonstrated analytical, strategic thinking and negotiating skills;
• Strong communication, coordination and negotiation skills;
• Demonstrated ability to build positive and trustworthy relations for influencing;
• Experience in managing time and resource constraints;
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English and Nepali in order to communicate complex and technical information to technical and general audiences; and
• Proven IT skills: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint etc.
• Based in Country Office, Lalitpur with travel to project areas;
• Ability to work in challenging environments and circumstances (remote, disaster areas, etc.); and
• Work with multi-culture and multi-lingual staff/team members.
LEVEL OF CONTACT WITH CHILDREN
Mid contact: Occasional interaction with children.
Say Yes ! To Keeping Children and Young people safe and Protected.
Last date to apply: 12 August 2020